Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I want to stream the US Open from usopen.org. I live in Canada. This is a problem.

I tried unblock-us.com, but all it does is change my DNS settings to point to a different DNS server. How is that supposed to accomplish anything?

Of course I am presented with this when I attempt to stream live video:

Does this service only work with Netflix? Or what's the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have ustv and it works great.

As for my own issue with cutting cable, my cable Internet company has put a monthly allowance for bandwidth. We were going to be capped at 250. We checked our data usage for the month of August (they only allowed this for the first time on the day we got the email) and it was 303 GB. We only use the Internet for light usage (Facebook and the forums), and then streaming (Netflix, hulu plus, amazon prime and busy) to replace TV.

We were able to switch to a higher level with 350 GB of bandwidth (and it is actually cheaper than what we were paying) so hopefully it will not be an issue. It just surprised me that we use that much data in a month. (According to the data meter, 40 minutes of a kids show on netflix is 566 mbps which is equal to 28 hours of online gaming) The majority of our streaming is done for children's shows on Netflix and it is mostly background sound while we play with our daughters.

Is there any way to help reduce our usage when it comes to streaming (beyond the obvious of cutting back or turning it off when you are playing)?/

I wouldn't bother comparing gaming to streaming video. It's not even close.

Gaming uses very little bandwidth, because the large files are usually already on your system (hard drive or optical disc). All you're receiving over the Internet are triggers/references to those files telling your computer to load them into memory because your opponent equipped a particular weapon or caused something to blow up.