Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

vanilla slimfast posted:

Sounds like you need to use a US-based proxy or VPN service

Unblock-us worked fine for me to access it, for what it's worth. I'm in Ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

I think what I've decided to do is to cut down on cable to basic cable to get the network channels ($10), buy HBO and Showtime ($20) and then use my roku/xbox 360 to watch Netflix and Hulu. IT's a lot cheaper than the $200 a month I'm used to.

You pay $200 a month for tv shows? :psyduck:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

I don't have one personally, but I wouldn't hold my breath about the Rpi being better than the Roku. 256mb RAM. Like everyone else says, get a pre-built system or look for a used Revo1600.

The rpi is not going to be better than a roku, pretty much period. I mean it's cool and I like mine, but I never bought it to serve as something like that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rubby posted:

By way of offering another option, you may want to give the WDTV Live a try (IYG thread - which is slightly outdated, you might want to skip to the last few pages for the latest version of the player).

It does Netflix and Hulu (but not Amazon), has played every file I've thrown at it, local network support both via network share and DLNA plus two USB ports to support local storage. It can also act as a media server itself so you can theoretically plug an external HDD the back of it, transfer your video files there and watch them on the TV or from your laptop or wherever. Plus it has a (somewhat) decent smartphone remote app with simulated keyboard which comes in handy for Netflix searches.

It's not a replacement for a custom built HTPC but for $80 I've never really found myself cause to complain.

These are great little boxes. I'm not a huge fan of the Netflix app streaming quality, however, as it doesn't look as nice as an Xbox 360.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I miss Jeopardy, and don't live in a place where I can get it (in Canada, the digital transition was poorly handled in my opinion, and where I am now I can't get a single OTA channel). I was thinking of getting a Slingbox and hooking it up to a headless cable box at my sister's in Kentucky, and tossing her a few bucks a month to cover the box rental. There are no caps and they barely use the Internet anyway, so I don't see that being much trouble. Thoughts?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

For playing network shares of various video types, I really like the WD TV stuff. If you also want to watch Netflix, get the Apple TV. I have both, and I like both, but the Netflix quality on the WD TV is noticeably worse than the Apple TV or Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pr0k posted:

Back to the new poo poo, I wish Hulu+'s interface didn't suck so much. As a developer it looks like someone in management thought if they could make the phone interface standard across the line, they'd save a ton of money. Try paying a better interface designer please. And if you're doing "agile" please stop you suck at it we hate you.

I really wish Amazon could get an app onto the AppleTV. It's the best smart box on the market bar none in terms of responsiveness and ease of use.