Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
We've wanted to get rid of cable for a while, and Groupon had a deal a couple weeks ago for a unidirectional antenna and a Roku 2 XD for around $80, so we jumped on it. The stuff came in the mail yesterday, and I'm pretty happy thus far with the OTA signal quality (we haven't cancelled yet, but plan to soon). I need to fiddle with antenna placement some since I'm not getting one of the networks, and as far as I can tell its tower is comparable in strength and on the same mountain as another channel that comes in great. Maybe I'll make one of those coat hanger ones someone linked to earlier, and I may just try using the existing coax in antenna mode and see how that goes. I was actually an early Roku adopter back when it was pretty much just a netflix box, and I've been running Plex for a while as well. The only thing that bugs me about Plex is that the Windows version of the server software doesn't run as a service, so a user has to be logged in to the computer for it to run. I've seen various workarounds for this with varying reports of success, but haven't been arsed to try any of them for myself. Anyone have any experiences with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

The only thing that bugs me about Plex is that the Windows version of the server software doesn't run as a service, so a user has to be logged in to the computer for it to run. I've seen various workarounds for this with varying reports of success, but haven't been arsed to try any of them for myself. Anyone have any experiences with that?

If anyone is interested in this, some changes in the Plex software make this pretty easy to do now. It still doesn't install as a service, but it seems to work perfectly well if you make a scheduled task for it set to run at startup.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not this condo association - they're pretty much the worst bunch of assholes you'd ever want to be involved with.

Oh, that is not a good thing. Stupid networks and their piracy promoting idiot ideas. I swear, the people who make these decisions have absolutely no idea about how reality operates. (I know, old argument.)

It is through Hulu. It wasn't showing up on the Xbox last night though it shows as available on the web.

How is it stealing cable if they're streaming local networks through a bare line? I've been in places where the cable company has done that...

Plug in her address here. They get their data from the FCC or whoever, but they allow you to specify things like antenna height that may give you a more accurate picture of what reception is going to be like. Also, regardless of what her condo association's rules are, she can put an antenna outside if she wants to (assuming there's a balcony or something where she can actually put it). There are federal laws surrounding that, and you're not allowed to bar people from doing it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

I haven't done much research regarding Plex - I'm assuming it runs on your media server though. Does it run as a background app, or does it essentially take everything over? Can I run it on my media server without interrupting access from my XBMC?

Unfortunately it does not run as a service in windows out of the box, meaning a user must be logged in for it to work. That may not be an issue for you, but it drove me nuts. There are some good workarounds now, however I believe there are some limitations on what channels will work (everything I use it for works fine). See my earlier post ITT for more info, and I'm happy to help if you need.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Here's a potentially stupid question for you guys. How do you figure out what's going to be on? I don't want to take out a subscription to TV Guide or the local newspaper. Are there decent guides for broadcast TV available online?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is there a way to be watching a video stream on a laptop ad have it displayed on my tv through a roku 3?

I keep reading about plex and twonky but it seems like plex is more for local media and twonky is for smartphones (and iPhones do not work with flash which is the type of video stream).

Plex can do youtube as well, so it's conceivable that there's a channel for whatever streaming thing you're interested in.

e: Speaking of Plex, I'm having trouble getting some content to show up. I add the folder in the media manager and rescan, and sometimes my stuff just doesn't show up. I understand it has really good format support, but I'm not sure what else would cause this. The documentation isn't too great either, unfortunately. Any ideas?

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 25, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's also a chance that, if it's TV shows, the files aren't named in a fashion where the media scanner can pick them up. I've had that happen before and it was fixed by renaming them Show.Sxx.Exx.Episode Name

I've seen that too, but in my experience it will still list stuff, it just can't find the metadata to display titles and such.

e: This is exactly what it was, actually. It seems that if you don't have your stuff named and organized the way it wants it won't be able to find the metadata, and in some cases it won't even recognize there's anything in there at all.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 26, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

What is the use in sharing then? If the 2nd person just wants the free shipping and doesn't want any streaming video?

Pretty much. You get discounts on two-day shipping as well plus I think a couple other things too, but the streaming video goes to the primary account holder only.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Any suggestions for getting World Cup soccer?

e: ESPN Channel on Roku seems to have everything! I didn't have to do any authentication and I don't have cable service, so I don't know maybe it's free??

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

goku chewbacca posted:

Who's your ISP? Many cable internet companies include ESPN3, the internet only streaming channel, with your internet package. And they probably used your connection to automatically authenticate. If you don't have cable TV with ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, U, etc. you won't be able to watch the streams from those channels. The opening game Brazil v. Croatio is available on ESPN 3 right now.

You can always borrow someone else's cable TV login credentials if you want the other channels. If you're trying to get around the automatic authentication, connect you streaming device to your phone WiFi tethering or a neighbors phone DSL connection.

I have Comcast for my internet service, and that was the game I was watching. Now that I'm trying to look at something on the main station it indeed does want me to log in with something.