Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

My understanding is that it converts on the fly, i.e. it doesn't create its own cache of converted video files on disk somewhere. It can read basically any format that your computer can play and streams it to any device that can run a Plex client. If the server and the client are on the same network then the only configuration required is to tell the server where your movies are saved on your HD.
Yeah, I just got a Roku 3. I was using Plex with a Raspberry Pi running XBMC and it basically runs the same way. I just had to manually put in the IP address of my computer because Plex on the Roku didn't see it immediately because the way the network is set up in this house is amazingly retarded.

I got sick of the Pi and this Roku works so much better oh my god.

If you have a file that doesn't need to be transcoded things will just play, otherwise Plex Media Server will transcode for you, it'll buffer a bit and then be off. Works great.

Plex is great too because you can get to Youtube through it. I just jam poo poo in my queue and play it, no problem at all.

Anyone have any cool Roku tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I don't have a lot of media on my laptop. Plex really would not be of use then right?
Plex is still useful because its one of the few ways to watch YouTube videos on a Roku.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I haven't done much research regarding Plex - I'm assuming it runs on your media server though. Does it run as a background app, or does it essentially take everything over? Can I run it on my media server without interrupting access from my XBMC?

The Plex media server runs in the background on your computer or on a NAS. It shares out your media, unlike XBMC that retrieves it from your computer. Both should work at the same time probably.

You can also add channels to Plex for like youtube and various other online video and music sources.

You can also use a Plex account to add online videos to a Queue that you can stream on any Plex-enabled device. Any file formats that won't play on your device, if the media server is running the stream will get routed through your media server for transcoding, just like it would do for any video files on your computer that aren't natively supported.

Youtube videos will usually play straight on a Roku through plex, but about 10% of the time I find videos that need my computer running so they can get transcoded. Videos needing transcoding seem more common from non-youtube sources.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 6, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Regarding running YouTube through Plex: how does that work? And what is the easiest way to accomplish this? I recently set my mom up with a Roku, and while she likes it, she noticed that some of the older shows she wants to watch are on YouTube. If I can get Plex set up for her so she can view the shows through YouTube, she will be really happy.
I don't really use the Youtube plugin in Plex that much because I never brows Youtube but I think you can subscribe to channels and navigate to them through that? Your best bet is to install the Youtube plugin in your plex media server and gently caress around with it.

What I do is use the Queue function on the Plex site using their bookmarklet on my computer to queue up a list of poo poo I want to watch on my TV. I am probably doing it in a roundabout way but it works for me.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

and if I have to do conversions on anything for Windows Media Center, I can.
Don't bother, install PS3 media server on your computer, set up a library folder and that'll take care of any transcoding you'd ever need. Way easier than faffing around converting files.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Radio Talmudist posted:

How does the Roku fare with 1080p streaming? Would the WDLive be a better device for large 1080p media?
Hasn't been any problems for me. Really depends on your connection, and the roku3 does have an ethernet port but I've been fine with mine on wireless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Not an Anthem posted:

I'm getting used to it, the thing I love is the headphones in the remote. Fantastic.
This was the main feature that made me buy the Roku 3 when I was picking out a box. It's such a brilliant and useful feature and I'm surprised it took so long for someone to do it.