Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Smythe posted:

Boxee has suited my needs for the most part. Plays all sorts of hosed up file formats, has a pleasing (to me) form factor, and has a competent web browser. Suffer no delusions, this poo poo aint no computer, but it works decently enough. I watch a grip of :filez: and web content in the form of streaming twitch.tv and its ilk and it does that poo poo fine.

Hanging out with the bros usually devolves into "hey man i got this cool poo poo on my youtubes" and that works pretty OK as long as your pals are OK with doing battle with the lovely mouse substitute.

The one big problem is it doesn't do Hulu+, as as previously stated Boxee is a fork of XBMC so it suffers the same shortfall. I bought a cheap roku to serve as a replacement.

Remote thinger is girlfriend friendly and some of the native apps are appealing to her. There's like some sort of fitness or yoga channel idk and she likes it, along with the netflix and web poo poo.

Smartphone remote is decent albeit lovely in the grand scheme of things.

For super serious nerd poo poo that requires super computer power you have the option of either building a full power mediaPC, buying incredibly expensive (for now) wireless HDMI, or doing like I did and running a long rear end HDMI cable through the walls/under the carpet.

IN GENERAL I suggest building a mediaPC or a zotac zbox or something like that already suggested in the thread. Seeing as how they are full-blown computers, they can do anything a computer can do, which alleviates all of the platform-specific issues that plague pre-made media delivery systems. A zotac or a mediaPC can do everything a boxee, roku, or appletv can do along with being a full-blown computer. Put XBMC on it for a slick looking frontend when you want to impress your friends, and you can also read the forums or watch newgrounds (excuse the example of a weird website nothing would support because why?) or whatever the gently caress you want because it's a computer.

While I read you're computer-parts phobic please understand that assembling computers in the yool2012 is far easier than it was back in the day. Parts are literally legos, fit way fuckin easier, and OS installs are cake. There are linux distos that come pre-installed and optimized with XBMC+codecs and poo poo for your sperging pleasure.

Personally, I have a Boxee+Roku+Leaf antenna in the living room for general purpose. There is an HDMI cable to the TV for nerd business but I use my phone as a keyboard+mouse which blows dogshit, but is OK for navigating just a little bit.

Bedroom TV is just a roku which is cool for the lady who likes to have TV on the background while she reads.

e: Getting a decent DVR for an antenna is seriously troublesome. It appears the best option is MythTV and that's getting a little into the mega-sperg territory.

Thank you. I just got into the game in the last month or so and I was trying to figure out wtf. I bought two WD plays because they seemed to fit my specs but I rma'ed em because they freeze, the interface is slow, the remote buttons are squishy, and they don't do amazon. Bought Roku XSes instead (which I thought mistakenly didn't do amazon.)

Right now trying to figure out the antenna/dvr situation. There's an old tv antenna in my attic, coax connection. Seems stupid to not at least try it, so I am going to. The coax will just hang loose coming out of the attic down two floors to the tv, 30 feet or so for the test. Meantime I'm wondering about signal attenuation over that distance, and even if that's not an issue will I have to fish wire or could I somehow take advantage of the at-the-moment-unneeded cable runs to get the signal back downstairs; of course only if that works to my satisfaction. Then, I keep googling to see what dvrs there are and I'm finding a lot of nothing besides tivo and stuff that seems waaaaay spergy.

I'm hoping to get both DC and Baltimore stations (increases the chances of catching a steelers game) (goddam NFL and cable companies for not agreeing on the exact distribution of the shitpot of money they could make for people that want the game out-of-market and don't want yet a third cable-style content-distribution company to pay for basic service plus optimum content 99% of which I don't loving want but that's a whole other thread or the basis of this thread at least.)

Whoa, where was I. Anyway, I already switched the phone to ooma, so far no problems. Exactly as reliable as the internet, which is the same for Comcast/Xfinity/Whatever's triple play, and whose internet we are still going to pay for.

Back to the new poo poo, I wish Hulu+'s interface didn't suck so much. As a developer it looks like someone in management thought if they could make the phone interface standard across the line, they'd save a ton of money. Try paying a better interface designer please. And if you're doing "agile" please stop you suck at it we hate you.

Breathe.

I bought a new router to support this effort, Asus RT-AC66U. My ancient Netgear was a trooper though. Fuckin HP printer doesn't speak the same WPS this thing does. I think I have to plug it in USB to get it to recognize its new master. Another PITA on my list. Printer is 14 feet from computer. It's wireless most of the goddamn time!

I'm sure I'll have a whole bunch of dumb questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU