Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It also allows the cable companies to continue their practice of having field work done by cheap contractors who couldn't give a poo poo about whether filters were installed on customer lines and taps on poles were properly secured.

Now the cable companies can charge customers to rent the descramblers, and they can also stop paying contractors to do "disconnects" that weren't always getting done anyway if the contractor thought they could get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

jokes posted:

I can say that your only non-buggy and non-freezing streaming box-thing solution is an AppleTV. 4k version or the model before it.

I got a Roku Streaming Stick, but it was choppy, so I got an Ultra instead. Hung every so often, only froze occasionally. When I got an ATV it was a completely different no-fuckup experience, and since it has Amazon now it's pretty much the best option.

:agreed:

My Fire TV box from 2015 started freezing up a lot so I bought a new one in August (of course just before they announced the 4K model). I went from a box that couldn't get through a 60 minute TV program without locking up to a box that locked up once a week.

Prime video on Apple TV means I'll probably toss the Fire and buy one of these.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Rick posted:

Anyone have a 500 GB Tivo bolt that does OTA with HD antenna? It says it's compatible, and all the specs list it as such, but I swear when I bought it said it was cable-only. Maybe that was only the 3TB option?

That was the 3TB one, which was originally sold as the "Bolt Plus." I know I was looking at doing the $99 lifetime service transfer option to a 500GB model to use with my antenna, but decided not to pull the trigger since I still didn't think $300 was compelling for the little OTA TV I still watch anymore.

This is still the case now on the "Bolt Vox;" the 500GB and 1TB models can do OTA but the 3TB doesn't.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Rick posted:

Awesome, thank you. I would probably not buy it if I didn't already have it, and honestly I'm not sure if I'm going to keep paying for service for very long if I do cord cut.

Yeah, I'm using a lifetime subbed Premiere I bought around Christmas of 2010. I had cable until 2016 and over that time the TiVo paid for itself 3x vs Spectrum's DVR fees.

Now that I'm not paying for cable, the payoff math on a new DVR box is a lot sketchier since there's not an easy comparison, and I just can't come up with a good reason to upgrade it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

It’s still real buggy. I’ve been in the beta since January. They just added DVR to the Roku app last week.

I just installed this on my Roku TV and the app is really unresponsive and choppy.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

phosdex posted:

So what is DTV Now doing right that keeps you guys using it?

I honestly rarely use their actual app at all, I keep it because it's a $35 pass to all the networks' "tv anywhere" apps.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Just contacted Amazon about this in a chat, and they offered me a $30 discount on the Fire TV stick, making it $9.99 plus tax. Sucks because I have a first gen Fire TV and Fire TV stick, but better than nothing. I guess those other two are just on the road to be completely obsolete.

What exactly did you say in chat to get this, did you have to press them hard on it?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You get locals and regional sports networks based on your billing zip code. You don't get to select which you want.

Furthermore, when I'm streaming away from home I don't get my local channels or my local regional sports network. I also don't get whatever local channels belong there, either. For instance, when I'm in New York I don't get my home networks and I also don't get whatever locals I'd get if I had a billing address in NYC.

I run a VPN server on my home internet to get around the geoip stuff on the web and be able to watch my home locals when traveling, but it doesn't work for mobile since their app uses your phone OS' location services rather than just geoip.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Scrapez posted:

Any chance you could try to login to FS Go app with your DTV Now login and see if you can stream Cardinals game that's on now?

I can, but it's probably not any help for you because my billing address is in St. Louis and FS Midwest is my home RSN.

When I'm signed into the FS Go app the content I get is from FS Midwest, plus FS1/FS2/Big Ten network. I can't see stuff from other Fox Sports networks I wouldn't otherwise get if I were watching it straight up on DTVN. I can't see, say, the Jazz vs Thunder game playing on FS Oklahoma right now.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 26, 2018

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

ATT/DirecTV is releasing another streaming service for some reason. It appears this will be the same as the regular DirecTV satellite lineup but online instead and requires a company-provided streaming box.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Launching-New-Streaming-Version-of-DirecTV-141840

They also plan to have 5 competing online streaming TV services by 2019 :psyduck:

I imagine a big driver for this is having a place to take UVerse IPTV customers. AT&T's signaled their desire to kill that service, but considering a lot of people signed up for UVerse because they didn't want a dish, there's been no really good path out of it yet.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

At least on my Roku TV, the DTV Now app is pretty mediocre. Their beta app is even worse, months behind the corresponding iOS/Android/FireTV apps in terms of quality.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

One more for the TCL lovefest. I got a 49" 4K TCL Roku TV from Costco for $320 a few months ago for my home office. It's been great. It's on sale again now for the same price, through the end of June.

https://www.costco.com/TCL-49-Class-48.5-Diag.-4K-Ultra-HD-Roku-LED-LCD-TV.product.100340002.html

I'm guessing this one is last year's model, but the price is right. My only gripe is I wish it had just one more HDMI input.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

But jeez, it probably costs less than the 20” CRT in my bedroom growing up when adjusting for inflation.

Hell, I was outright elated to get a 32", relatively no-name (remember Olevia?), 720p LCD TV for $500 as a Black Friday doorbuster in 2006.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Barring that, the current-generation Fire TV is only $50, or $20 more than the Fire Stick.

Having had the previous generation Stick (it was underpowered and choppy when brand new), I would absolutely not compromise over 20 bucks.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DTVN on my Apple or Amazon hardware (the stick notwithstanding) has been ok, outside of the first few months after launch.

It is utter garbage on my Roku TV; their Roku app is choppy and barely usable. It’s also pretty bad when played over Chromecast.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I wonder if that's a function of the hardware in the TV because when I tried it at the end of last year, the app was perfectly fine on the 2016 and 2017 Rokus I had.

Maybe? This is a two month old 4K Roku TV, though, and every other Roku app on it is silky smooth. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Are you talking about the DirectTVNow app? I have roku ultra and that app runs like garbage. I subbed for the World Cup and it's really bad. I can accept the cloud dvr not working but it's so drat slow and buggy to watch Live TV

Yeah, exactly that. It was choppy and bad before 2.0, the 2.0 beta was unwatchable trash, and I didn't bother to try after that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Gee. Two weeks after AT&T closes on the purchase of Time Warner, DTV Now plans go up $5/month.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I pretty much only keep DTV Now for HBO Go for myself, and having a login to the Nickelodeon/Disney TV anywhere apps on my kid's iPad.

Now that Westworld is done for the season and likely won't be back until 2020, I probably will cancel the HBO.

If the Nick/Disney apps had IAPs where I could just buy a monthly subscription directly, I'd jump on that and tell DTV to pound sand altogether.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Also turns out the Tablo is exactly what I wanted. So can someone give me an "explain it like I'm 5" version of what the HDHomerun does compared to the Tablo? I've followed this thread for years so I assume the info would be helpful to other cord cutting idiots like me.

Tablo is a box with an integrated tuner, storage (or USB hookup for BYO storage), and DVR software.

HDHomeRun is just an ethernet-connected tuner. Other software can connect to it, tell it to switch to a channel, and pull down a stream of whatever that tuner is "seeing." They have their own DVR software as an add-on, you can use something like Plex to do the DVR stuff, or you could use several different apps out there to just connect to the tuner and watch it live.

If you want your stuff to just work, Tablo looks pretty cool for that and I think you made a good call. HDHomeRun is nice if you want more flexibility and you don't want to be locked in to one specific DVR platform, or you want to roll your own setup.

I have an antenna in my attic with a drop to my basement. I've got an HDHomeRun plugged into that antenna feed. I've also got a QNAP NAS with Plex running on it, with 1TB of storage allocated to it. I use the Plex app on my Fire TV, and the phone app and Plex website when I'm away from home.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, I wouldn't rely on any of today's pricing to still be in effect come 2020 anyway, so I'd take the cheap option now and layer on Vue or whatever when that time comes. Or just bum a login off a friend to use the Olympics app.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DirecTV Now is HD for sure; that's what I use.

You're correct in that you'd open the service's app - the DirecTV Now app feels pretty similar to using any cable/satellite receiver from the last 15 years.

The DTV Now app for Roku is hot garbage though. It's choppy and unresponsive even on fairly recent hardware. Unless you're married to Roku for some other reason, I'd consider a Fire TV stick/box, as the DTV Now app for Fire TV is a million times better.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DTVNow's DVR still sucks. Their Apple TV and Fire TV apps are good, while their Roku one is janky.

Rather than put up with DTVN's DVR, I pretty much just use the login to sign into whatever TV network's on-demand app and watch the show that way.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

DTVNOW seems to be ~45 seconds behind cable TV. I'll take it; but that means if you're one of those people who likes to hop on twitter during a game you could have a play potentially spoiled.

That's probably as good as it will ever get, given the architecture of the service. Video gets captured in short segments, encoded, then sent to a CDN, which then replicates it to a bazillion edge hosts that viewers download from.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

In my experience when traveling, DTVN uses your billing address, and if you login from elsewhere you get no locals at all. Not your home locals, and not the locals for wherever you are, either.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I think to get around that you’d probably have to be running a VPN server at your home address, but I wouldn’t guarantee that would work. I’m pretty sure even things like HDHomeRun get funny about sending a signal if it has to bounce too much (I was looking to see if I could share my HDHR with a friend and abroad out of curiosity and it seemed way trickier than imagined. Plex might be the only way to do it easily).

I've been able to watch DTVN over the web on my laptop through a VPN without a problem (in fact it was the only way to watch when traveling internationally, as they block access from outside the US). An app on a device is going to use the built in location services and override whatever your geo-IP stuff says, though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm old enough to remember when AT&T said buying Time Warner would let them lower prices and improve customer choice.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

A surprise aspect of the DTVN price increases -- HBO on the old plans is now $15/month and the other premiums are $11. You're grandfathered into the $5 price if you had a premium at that price already. But if you're on an old plan and want to add a premium, have fun.

I'll probably keep DTVN for the near term with the grandfathered Go Big deal but the new plans are terribad.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

Holy poo poo the new plans lose so many channels. Most I don't give a poo poo about but all the viacoms, nba tv NFL network, mlb network, C-SPAN!!

https://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/dtv/gmott/html/dynamic_channels/compare-packages-account-dynamic-gobig.html

They 100% want DTVN to fail.

Their intent has become pretty clear with them offering the classic DTV plans in streaming form, at the same price as satellite (without any of the promo pricing you'd usually get if you did a 2 year contract on a classic DTV plan).

Seems like ultimately DTVN was a way for them to test (at scale) a platform to sell their traditional TV plans without having to continue to shoot poo poo into outer space, or to send someone out to every new customer's house to nail poo poo to their roof. The DTVN "osprey" streaming box is an Android TV box with a standard cable box-style UI shoehorned into it, complete with channel numbers and all the stuff that the olds expect from a satellite receiver.

Maybe it didn't start this way, but they definitely have gotten greedy at this point.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bought in on the $129 Fire TV Recast deal, it arrived this afternoon. Quick review so far:

The good: Stupid easy five minute setup. Channel scan was 10x faster than I've ever seen before. I did need to reboot my Fire TV devices before they'd "see" the Recast. It's nice that I can leave the box down in my basement all wired up, rather than having it sit on the TV shelf. The live TV experience is slick and works well, and picture quality seems good. Currently watching the All Star Game clear as a bell.

The bad: the mobile app is crap (did you expect less from an Amazon app) and it lets you do two things: watch live TV and watch recordings. There's no grid guide on the app and you can't schedule future recordings from it. Did a friend tell you about a show and you wanted to get it on the docket for the DVR on the spot, before you forgot about it? Tough luck, write it down and do it at home.

It also looks like while you can stream using the phone app, if you take your Fire TV out of the home network, it can't stream off the Recast. I was hoping that I could have taken a Fire Stick out with me while traveling and been able to watch my recordings back at home, but from my quick test (tethering the Fire Stick to my phone) it doesn't seem like that works. I'm not too bummed by that, was really just something I was trying out for giggles. I can't get my locals via DirecTV Now when traveling, so I thought that might've been a way around it.

Long story short, if you don't care about the phone app and remote scheduling, it's great. If that's something that matters to you, maybe sit on it till they fix the app.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 10, 2019

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Less 'cutting cable' and more 'cable adjacent', but I'm going to be receiving a streaming box from AT&T next week to beta test, apparently it's the same essential thing as a box they made for DTV NOW. I'm pretty happy as I'm generally disappointed by their TV services compared to Comcast, especially comparing their Firestick app to the Xfinity Roku app (which essentially acts like a cable box, and has been in free beta testing for about 2 years+ now, whereas the AT&T one is just garbage). The only disappointment is for my bedroom setup I'd far rather a USB power driven device so I don't have to run more power through the wall but hey. Talk is if you pay for one of these devices, it might then open up apps on other streaming platforms for you.

I've had the AT&T box since Christmas as a DTVN customer, and it's same the box you'd get if you sign up for their "AT&T TV" service they've been pushing in a few test markets. In those markets, they're not even offering DirecTV or UVerse TV to new subscribers, this is the only option.

This box was spotted in FCC filings in fall 2017, so the hardware was substantially done over a full year before it ever saw a customer. So think about how a two year old streaming stick is probably already feeling long in the tooth, and then add to it the fact that this one comes from the phone company who's trying to build it to a price.

The UI is choppy as hell. If you're used to crappy cable company STBs then it's not going to feel out of place for you, but if you've used any modern streaming hardware you're going to want to throw this thing out the window at your first opportunity.

I got mine out of blind curiosity since it was free. I keep it plugged in just because when my in-laws come over to babysit, it's close enough to the concept of a "cable box" that they can watch TV without a half hour seminar on what streaming apps to open.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 8, 2019

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

My understanding is they are going to charge a device fee on each box which is complete bullshit and like 30% of the reason I left AT&T in the first place.

We kept U-Verse for way too long just because I didn't want to teach my husband how to work a steaming service, now he raves to friends about how happy he is with Hulu. Even my mother who I don't even think owns a computer figured out how to use it when she house sat for us.

With the AT&T TV service, the first box is included "free," while additional boxes are $10/month. Or you can buy it outright for a one-time $120. They're selling the TV service with a required 2-year contract, so you're only screwing yourself if you take the monthly fee option. But this is the phone company, after all, and they perfected this bullshit by giving you the option to lease a telephone into perpetuity.

$120 is also a stunning ripoff for what is under the hood in their streaming box.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Astro7x posted:

They found a way to make a contract for a streaming service...

And they're collecting the money upfront 2-3 months before the service even goes live. I will admit I got in on the 3-year D23 deal when that was going on two weeks ago. I have a 18 month old and a 7 year old; I realized I may as well face it, I'm going to be paying for this service for the next 8 years anyway.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I don't know how to describe what TiVo's done other than product suicide.

This summer I got another upgrade offer to transfer the lifetime service from my 10 year old Premiere to a new box. Was really tempting for the price, even if it would just be for OTA. I felt some FOMO after opting for the Prime Day Recast sale instead, right up until reading this news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Charles posted:

This pisses me off so much. There's no way it doesn't actually cost them more to provide standard-def service. It has to be downconverted.

This is like how Charter/Spectrum charges a $1-per-receiver 'Secure Connection Fee,' which pays for "those measures Spectrum employs to manage and secure the connection between Spectrum's system and the Spectrum receiver and other devices Subscriber uses to access Spectrum's services."

Love to see added charges to cover standard costs of doing business. Next thing you know, they'll add a surcharge to service visits to cover wear and tear on the trucks.