Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Roku caved all hail YTTV
https://twitter.com/business/status/1468619140718075913

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

YTTV lost a lot of regional/local sports coverage thanks to Ballys. If they lose ESPN it's a big blow to their sports coverage, and sports coverage is pretty much the only reason I still care about having a live tv package. Even trash reality shows or bad Christmas holiday movies can be covered by cheaper services (Frndly, Discovery+)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hulus DVR pissed me off because on top of limited storage it would always record reruns of some poo poo even though I told it to do new shows only. So I’d always run out of space because it would record every 90 Day Fiancé airing it could. I think Plex used to have the same problem but I wasn’t limited in space there

It is kind of an interesting fight. Google dealing with content providers knowing they are getting increasingly desperate and even mighty ESPN has been shedding subscribers because of cord cutting or viewership declines of their cash cows, ESPN knowing it's still the big dog and why most people still get cable

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 18, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

ESPN is absolutely the only reason I keep cable. Any online streaming service that also has ESPN channels is more expensive than the deals Comcast keeps tossing my way. I'd love for there to be an ala carte option with regards to ESPN --maybe turn ESPN+ into a full featured offering. But I think for them to make it cash positive they'd need to charge at least $25/mo (this number was bounced around a few years ago, ESPN pays stupid amounts of money for broadcast rights, especially for NFL and college sports). And that just gives me more incentive to stick with my CableCard + HDHomerun Prime + PLEX DVR.

Yeah, calling every 1-2 years and getting on a new promo kept my bundle to be about the same it is right now with internet + YTTV. It is nice not having to call every 1-2 years, but it seems like streaming services have just normalized their price around what everyone else pays

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I’m wondering if Google is thinking another price hike will kill the service given the poo poo they got back when it went to $65. Hulu at least bundles their great VOD package to soften the blow, YTTV is just pure TV and they already have the best features. Not sure what else they can offer to sweeten the service with another hike. Maybe raise it $10 and include 4k standard and act like you’re actually saving money

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Disney caved and nothing changes it seems like

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Minidust posted:

Yeah I noped right out of Sling for the same reason. I guess rights fees are higher when you can pause?

Maybe. Even with Hulu I had time shift restrictions on some live stuff that I don't with YTTV, so I assume every aspect is a negotiated thing

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Anyone else have an older Shield that's been acting funky with Plex for the last few months? Mine will sometimes hang at logging in if I previously was in Plex and watching shows and then backed my way out and launched a different app. I'll have to force stop Plex to get it behaving correctly again. Also sometimes things won't start to play when I select them, I'll have to stop and restart to get the stream to launch.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I assumed it was a Shield thing since my Fire and Roku continue fine (and my shield is getting jankier)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Says Plex Server so not sure if will help.

They do say they fix the YTTV video corruption that I've been noticing. Some users are saying Disney+ issues so...probably will avoid for now.

I know I have gotten my money's worth by now but drat it Nvidia this is supposed to be the Cadillac of streaming devices

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The X1+ isn’t even all that different than the X1. The decoders are doing most of the work so it’s not like there should be much that slows it down ….unless you do something like add an advertising banner to the home menu

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

HBO Max and Discovery+ will be first bundled together before becoming a single service.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/14/22976876/hbo-max-discovery-plus-merge-app-confirmed

ugh, I've only done Discovery+ twice. Once for the free Fire TV that came bundled for new customers and the other time for the $1 black friday deal. I don't love 90 Day Fiance The Single Life enough to pay more than the $5 basic rate.

On the other hand I'm leeching HBOMax off a friend so it may work out better for me in the end

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

qirex posted:

Anyone who has experience with Comcast: is it worth even trying to not have cable tv? Every offer I’ve seen from them for bare internet is as much or more than a tv bundle, and I actually want peacock for the soccer and Tour de France. As it stands it looks like I could save a few dollars a month but nothing major.

I ditched my old triple play bundle for just internet. Paying about $70 for 400/10 plus $30 for unlimited. Can shave off $10-20 if I step down the download speeds. When you factor in YTTV I’m not really coming out ahead of my old bundle that ranged from $120-160 after fees, depending on the promo they run at the time.

From my experience locally, they didn’t really have promo prices for just plain internet. No contracts or lock in prices. The rep on the phone said it was a new thing they were doing to make everything easy. Which can be completely full of poo poo and also probably dependent entirely on your local market.

Even if I’m not saving that much money, it is really nice not having to schedule a yearly bitch and threaten to cancel call to bring the bill down

You should still get peacock for free as an internet only customer. They even sent me a special free streaming box for it which still sits shrink wrapped on a shelf somewhere

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 4, 2022

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wayne Knight posted:

If you ever need to cancel comcast for real (not just looking for a price drop), the easiest, no-hassle cancellation is by saying you're moving. They'll ask you if you want your service moved instead. Say yes, then give them your "new address" you pulled off zillow in an area that comcast doesn't service. Absolute easiest cancellation call ever. "Oh, wow, looks like we don't service that part of montana. Yourserviceiscancelledthankyouforcallingcomcastgoodbye*click*"

I’m moving in a month to an area that legit doesn’t have comcast and I own my own modem so I’m extremely excited to place my cancel call

I also get to choose between ATT Fiber and some smaller cable internet provider so that’s great too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thwomp posted:

Isn’t the Shield lagging behind/not receiving regular hardware updates?

I hit random bugs here and there that take forever to get fixed because some android tv variant is the bottom of the bottom of the list to support for streamers. For example in the peacock app I’m constantly defaulted to audio descriptions being enabled every time a new episode starts or I resume a paused episode. It’s been an issue for months from what I can tell from various googletv subreddits