Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's what I plan on doing, but I'm not sure she will get good reception at her location. According the the .gov site that shows reception estimates, most of the channels are in the red for her. She's also in a condo, so there is no chance of an external antenna. I'm going to try out the Winegard Company FL-5000, since people have pretty much nothing but good things to say about it.

I just picked up the Roku from Amazon - it was $50, and she is definitely cutting cable, so there is no loss there for her. I certainly think that Hulu will get her what she wants for a while.

Apologies if you've already considered this, and it may not even apply, but it's not uncommon for condo associations to have a community cable contract and include the cost in monthly assessments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Sleepstupid posted:

WTF Aereo...For a while now their site has had a banner that said "Coming to Chicago on September 13th!". Well, that has come and gone and as far as I can tell nothing has happened. Not only that, I "pre-registered" for early access and have gotten zero emails from them. No news, no invites, no spam, nothing. :argh:

I'm in Chicago, and they emailed me about a week ago about creating my account. But I pre-registered and liked them on FB so that might be why.

I'm not terribly sure how/if I will use their service, as I've already got an antenna mounted in the attic and MythTV running on a server in the basement, but I'm weighing my options.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

withak posted:

I'm getting a QNAP TS-220 NAS thingy basically for free (though without HDs).

Currently I keep videos and stuff on my computer's HD to stream to a Roku using Plex. I know that this particular NAS can't transcode, so I would probably move my movie/music files over to it and keep Plex running on my computer.

Could this arrangement affect streaming performance through Plex? Is a USB3 connection likely to be a bottleneck in this situation?

Which part would be connected via USB? The appliance you linked is a NAS, which is connected over the network, not USB.

In any case, I have a similar setup, albeit with a Synology device, without issue.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
Agreed on SportsDevil, but make sure you also get the fixes that go along with it. See this.