Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Rhyno posted:

So we cut cable back in February and I've been keeping a laptop handy for watching video from itunes and other sources. We use the 360 for Netflix and Amazon Prime but as everyone knows it sucks a dick for streaming from your own network unless the files are in very specific formats.
I'm sick of the laptop being on the coffee table, i'm sick of the cables running around the room, so what's my best bet for network streaming? A Boxee? Roku? I've never had much skill for building PCs so I don't think an HTPC is the right thing for me. In the Boxee thread the popular opinion these days is that the device sucks and from reading here I gather that the Roku doesn't natively stream from a local network.
Are any of the other box options suitable for my needs? Does anyone make a pre made HTPC?

By way of offering another option, you may want to give the WDTV Live a try (IYG thread - which is slightly outdated, you might want to skip to the last few pages for the latest version of the player).

It does Netflix and Hulu (but not Amazon), has played every file I've thrown at it, local network support both via network share and DLNA plus two USB ports to support local storage. It can also act as a media server itself so you can theoretically plug an external HDD the back of it, transfer your video files there and watch them on the TV or from your laptop or wherever. Plus it has a (somewhat) decent smartphone remote app with simulated keyboard which comes in handy for Netflix searches.

It's not a replacement for a custom built HTPC but for $80 I've never really found myself cause to complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Maneki Neko posted:

I just picked one up, and I'm leaning towards a return as well. The Netflix app is old and janky, Plex has an annoying audio issue, and the rest of the app content just isn't there. Outside of Plex, I think I'm honestly better served by the Xbox 360. :(

Don't use the official Plex app - install XBMC ( http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV ) and use the PLEXBMC add-on (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Add-on:PleXBMC). This runs your Plex server through XBMC which also sidesteps the FireTV's somewhat limited codec selection, so you likely won't need to transcode as much as you would have through the Plex app. All the playback issues I had with Plex on the FireTV went away after going that route.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Hadlock posted:

Does XBMC not have it's own codecs? I'm considering a FireTV to put XBMC on, but only if it has codec support on par with VLC

It does! XBMC supports codecs that the FireTV does not which is really handy for local media playback. The official Plex app for the FireTV is limited by the codecs the FireTV supports, so you may need to do a lot of transcoding on the fly depending on your media. Using PLEXBMC instead you're playing files via XBMC and using its bundled codec library instead so you can play a larger variety of files directly.

Basically "Install XBMC" was the answer to a lot of my FireTV playback questions. For local media it's super stable and for me works better than any other media-streamer-in-a-box at that price point I've tried.