Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
[quote=" post="415935998""]
If you arn't paying for cable tv service its still considered cable theft if you hook it up to your tv. Whether or not your cable company cares or not is another matter.

The point was if you have it hooked up and the tech is trying to troubleshoot an internet issue they may claim the problem is because you messed wiht it.
[/quote]

Not being argumentative--this is for others following along: If you have a live cable line into your house, even if you're only paying for Internet service, it is not cable theft to hook up the line to your TV for the unscrambled ClearQAM local channels. FCC regulation requires that they do not scramble local channels available through OTA. The FCC recently changed the regulation to allow larger telecoms to begin encrypting even the locals to open up more bandwidth and decrease delivery costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Just because its unencrypted does not mean its not theft. The cable companies sure consider it theft, it's why they got the FCC to let them encrypt it.

http://www.multichannel.com/content/ncta-fcc-let-all-digital-msos-encrypt-basic-tier

It added that allowing basic encryption would largely eliminate theft of service, promote innovation and investment, and reduce polution and fuel consumption by reducing truck rolls to activate or deactivate service (NCTA said Monday that the benefits would outweigh the minimal extra watts consumed by new boxes).

And the FCC apparently agreed with them.

The old FCC requirement of cable companies not encrypting channels was so paying subs wouldn't have to rent a box for basic channels, it was not so everyone got free tv.

Before areas were all digital they could block non paying subs with an analog filter but clearqam broke that.

They got the FCC to allow them to encrypt locals to eliminate technician rollouts to remove line filters/connect lines and to open more bandwidth when channel MultiCast was insufficient or too expensive. A line subscriber watching unencrypted locals that they can also watch free OTA doesn't cost the telecoms anything.

I contend that theft of service would require tampering with external boxes/lines: that you remove the line filter yourself or run an unfiltered line from your neighbor/pole. If you're a cable Internet subscriber and the technician removes the filter for your Internet service, then you can legally the watch the basic local channels that the FCC requires/d they broadcast unencrypted.

What they map the channel to is entirely up to them--there's no requirement that they provide a free converter box or CableCard for correct mapping for non-rental TVs. I'm lucky that in my area Comcast broadcasts most of my locals according to their call sign: x-1 for HD, x-2,3,4 for secondary, etc. and x-5 for SD.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Thwomp posted:

New content: Aereo is (supposedly) coming to the Chicago area. I'll be all over that until they are litigated into the ground.

I know Aereo requires a billing address in their service area, which last I checked was still NYC metro area. Can I get service by using a prepaid card with my address set to some hotel in NYC, or area they using IP location or WiFi/GPS geolocation, too?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Doomsday Jesus posted:

For streaming purposes do I need the 50Mbps down or would 15Mbps be sufficient?

How many people are sharing your connection? How many TVs do you want to be able to stream to simultaneously? Do you want to torrent at the same time? Netflix HD is 2.3 GB/hour, so 15Mbit is more than enough for one or two streams.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I don't think it's possible to do what you're trying to do with a dual display PC.

Plex Server supports Hulu, Netflix, and other streaming services. Plex Server plus Plex channel on a Roku may work for you, since its possible that the Plex service may not identify itself as a mobile/standalone device to Hulu. I'll try at home this weekend and update you later.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Well, poo poo! It finally happened. Comcast started encrypting local basic channels in my area.

According to TVfool and/or Antennaweb, I should be able to receive all my local OTA channels at -35dBm at 19 miles line of sight. Any cheap, set-top indoor antenna should work for me, right? Mohu Leaf, Winegard Flatwave, or something even cheaper?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'd greatly appreciate some guidance on selecting an outdoor antenna that will suit my needs. I'll be mounting it outdoors on an existing disused Dish mount. Unfortunately, the Dish mount is on the NE half of the roof and the signals are coming from the SW.

Below is a chart from TVFool.com highlighting the 7 signals I'm trying to receive. The farther 5 transmitters are all Line-of-Sight at 19 miles, -32.5 to -34.4 dBm Signal Power, 58.3 to 56.4 dB Noise Margin.

When selecting an antenna, am I trying to match the antenna Gain to the Signal Power or Noise Margin numbers provided in the chart? Since the transmitter locations are only 78° apart, would I be better served by a directional or multidirectional? And are Hi-V (11 and 13) close enough to UHF than I can choose an antenna that's only advertised as UHF, or do I need one advertised as Hi-V/UHF?

I don't want to spend $100+ if I don't need to, so I'm leaning toward this Windegard HD-1080 or this Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB.

Finally, how do I know if I need an amp or pre-amp, and how do I wire/power them?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 11, 2014

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Seriously, call these guys if you need help picking out an antenna. Their tech support told me exactly what antenna would work for me, emailed me a diagram showing how to combine two or more antennas, and told me how to pick up signals from another market ~60 miles away if I wanted to. On top of that, they sell the antenna I need for less than Amazon.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

Any suggestions for getting World Cup soccer?

e: ESPN Channel on Roku seems to have everything! I didn't have to do any authentication and I don't have cable service, so I don't know maybe it's free??

Who's your ISP? Many cable internet companies include ESPN3, the internet only streaming channel, with your internet package. And they probably used your connection to automatically authenticate. If you don't have cable TV with ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, U, etc. you won't be able to watch the streams from those channels. The opening game Brazil v. Croatio is available on ESPN 3 right now.

You can always borrow someone else's cable TV login credentials if you want the other channels. If you're trying to get around the automatic authentication, connect you streaming device to your phone WiFi tethering or a neighbors phone DSL connection.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Qu Appelle posted:

I'm inheriting a 27" Samsung monitor, that I'll be using with my Macbook Air. Is there a USB/Firewire TV tuner that I can buy that'll support this setup, and I can hook up a digital antenna to?

I rarely watch TV, but I do like it for PBS and sports. I'd rather invest in an external tuner, instead of a separate TV. I also don't play video games, really, so I don't need a separate TV for that, either.

You want a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Plus ethernet tuner. The HDHR Dual is the cheaper OTA ATSC tuner they sell that doesn't have hardware H.264 encoding like the Plus. H.264 should reduce the stream bitrate which will help with WiFi connected devices. This will allow you to watch TV on your MacBook, iOS and Android devices, and DLNA enabled devices like TVs and XBoxes.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Cardboard Box A posted:

Why does this no longer support ClearQAM

The Plus and the Dual both support cable ClearQAM along with ATSC.
http://www.silicondust.com/wordpress/wp-content/themes/premise/large-files/comparison_guide4_2014.pdf

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Hadlock posted:

How much back catalog do you have with HBO go/now? Can I pick up season 1 of entourage, or the final season of big love, or catch the last half of season 2 of Rome, or watch that one episode of The Pacific I missed? If I lose an argument with my lady friend can I queue up an episode of sex and the city? Pick up true blood from where I left off (season 4 is where the werewolves becomes a prominent plot device, right?)

With HBO Go, you have access to their entire catalog as far as I can tell. At least, every series from the last 10+ years: Rome, BoB, Pacific, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Flight of the Concords, etc. And current shows are playable as soon as they start airing, though they've had a lot of trouble with GoT and Silicon Valley.

The Android app is terrible though and frequently crashes and loses the connection to my Chromecast. The Series Manager feature just doesn't work. The Watchlist bookmark feature sucks, and frequently empties itself.

I hope they've put some effort into their Now app for the people that are paying explicitly for that service, and that those features trickle down to the Go app.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Thwomp posted:

loving WBBM in Chicago and its VHF bullshit. I'd love to just hang an antenna in the rafters.

Gotta bolt it to the chimney so I get one of the only VHF stations still broadcasting in the US.

I'm not going to google it, but I remember seeing that ~1/4 of stations are using VHF. Do you mean lo-VHF (RF ch. 2-6 or 7)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Chromecast-enabled media apps on iOS and Android will see your Android TV devices as Chromecasts, and your Google Home and Google Assistant apps and Home devices will see your TVs as eligible devices to stream Music and Video to on command using the media services currently supported by Google Home. TV HDMI-CEC should also work (“Hey Google, pause, play, stop casting”, auto power on, turn off).

“Hey Google, shut off my TV” is even cooler than controlling my thermostat. Check out the Assistant Routines. “Hey Google, I’m leaving” as I’m walking out the back door lowers my thermostat, turns off the TV and lights, and broadcasts (speaks aloud) to the speaker in my upstairs bedroom to my wife, “I’m leaving. See you later! Call me if you need me.”

I may have misunderstood, but I don’t think you can get your Chromecast TVs to act as smart information displays like the Google Home Hub display.

Does anyone know if security and doorbell cameras are supported by Chromecast/Android TVs and/or Home Hub displays? Like, “Hey Google, show my Ring doorbell camera,” or “show my backyard Nest camera on the TV”?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 1, 2018