Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are running Plex then there is a youtube channel you can add through your Plex server also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BobTheCow posted:

I'll be moving at the end of July/beginning of August and I'm ready to be done with cable. I'm planning on keeping an eye out for sales on Roku/Boxee units between now and then and buying something when the price is the best. Is there any reason this doesn't make sense? Alternately, suggestions for places to keep an eye on for this sort of sale? Woot.com is the only site that I already follow regularly that might come through.

A new Roku box was just released this month so used previous-generation ones are probably more plentiful than usual right now.

Zogo posted:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm still messing around with this. There's so many free/private channels that it'll take a while to install and explore them. The only question that remains is how many I can cram onto the unit.

One advantage of using Plex vs. some other channel for youtube is that it is less likely to be limited by the bandwidth available through that other channel.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The new Roku software update is available now if you manually check for updates on a device that is eligible.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

Edit: So what does Plex do for Roku? does it only stream compatible formats, or does it convert on the fly like PS3 Media Server?

My understanding is that it converts on the fly, i.e. it doesn't create its own cache of converted video files on disk somewhere. It can read basically any format that your computer can play and streams it to any device that can run a Plex client. If the server and the client are on the same network then the only configuration required is to tell the server where your movies are saved on your HD.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mine are sorted alphabetically. :confused:

edit: Though obviously not in the "on deck", "recently added", etc. sections.

withak fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 19, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Henchman 21 posted:

Maybe i should rephrase, they are sorted alphabetically but I would like a list of each letter for easier sorting, kind of like on the plex media server on the computer. Its a bitch to scroll through ~300 movies just to get to the 'S' Section

The iOS client does this like the desktop client does. In the Roku client I think you can skip around the list quicker with the ff/rev buttons.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is a Roku channel somewhere that can read media from a local USB connection if your device has a USB port. I don't know what kind of formats it can handle though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

OpaqueEcho posted:

It does, but the hope is to just be able to leave the drive connected to the router, and not have to connect it to the Roku.

If the drive isn't connected directly to the Roku then you need a server running somewhere.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

OpaqueEcho posted:

And this was kind of my question- the router itself works as a media server, which other devices are able to access and stream from, just not the Roku. As I understand it, the Roku cannot directly access network shares, and there are not currently any available channels that do so, aside from Plex (which would require that the media be available on an actual computer, not the router).

Right. The Roku basically runs apps (that it calls "channels") that stream video from the relevant server (Amazon, Netflix, Plex on your computer, etc.). It sounds like the Roku app/channel that is designed to read files from disk only works with USB storage plugged directly into the Roku.

You would either need a Roku app/channel designed to access network shares, or a Roku app/channel designed to work with whatever kind of streaming media server is running on your router. It is possible that these exist, IDK.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 29, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If the drive plugged into your router is accessible as a regular network share then you could install Plex on a convenient computer and point it at that network share as a library. It's not the most efficient use of wireless bandwidth if the Plex computer is on wifi, but it should work unless you have a 1Mb wifi network or something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are watching unencrypted channels over your cable for free then just make sure it is unplugged if the cable guy comes around for any reason. The cable company can probably afford more lawyers than you can.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TotallyGreen posted:

I'm thinking about dropping Directv. Is there any major benefit to buying a Roku rather than using the PS3 I already own?

I have a remote already for the PS3 and upgraded the hard drive.

If the PS3 can play all of your streaming sources (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Plex, etc.) then no.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doomsday Jesus posted:

My wife and I are looking to get rid of cable altogether. PlayOn looks awesome. Would a 50Mbps line be fast enough to handle HD?

Another question. If I am getting an HD antenna and a Roku 3 would I really need to subscribe to PlayOn?

50 Mbps should be more than enough for HD video.

I don't know about PlayOn, but it sounds like it just combines everything that the Roku+Plex would do into one app. Not necessary IMO.

edit: It looks like maybe PlayOn is left over from before you could get basically any streaming service on basically any device that could play video?

withak fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 6, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I don't have a lot of media on my laptop. Plex really would not be of use then right?

It can also get Youtube and iTunes on the Roku.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
With a smart tv you are stuck relying on the manufacturer to update the software and keep things working. I have more confidence in Roku (or whoever) doing that as their main business than in whatever sub-sub-department at the tv factory is supposed to be doing it. Also if the smart tv software is terrible (it probably is) then you are stuck with it for as long as you keep the tv.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Plex can stream basically any format if you have a computer available that can run the server.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tell her not to whine so much and read a book instead.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

Speaking of Plex, I'm having trouble getting some content to show up. I add the folder in the media manager and rescan, and sometimes my stuff just doesn't show up. I understand it has really good format support, but I'm not sure what else would cause this. The documentation isn't too great either, unfortunately. Any ideas?

It may be misidentifying. Look through your library for something that doesn't belong.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Coffee Wolf posted:

Find the Prime sharing thread, and as long as you are the primary account holder, you'll get the streaming cheaper via splitting with other goons. Most seem to charge ~$15. You have to be the primary user to get streaming, don't join up under someone else.

What is the use in sharing then? If the 2nd person just wants the free shipping and doesn't want any streaming video?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Edit: I was wondering. You mentioned Netflix and July as options to watch shows. What is July?

Don't worry about it, it is only available for another seven days and the background check to join takes longer than that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/from-tvs-to-tablets-everything-you-love.html

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/

So this thing looks kind of neat, especially for $35.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

...can you browse the web on this?

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#chrome

This shows it mirroring a Chrome browser window from a laptop.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here is an amazon review that gives a pretty good description of what it actually does:

quote:

So I came on Amazon to just do some shopping, and I couldn't help but notice how the Google Chromecast somehow has reviews already. I'm sorry, but no consumer has this in their hands yet (until 1-2 more days). I want to provide an honest review with an actual understanding of what and how the product works having had it for a couple weeks, without violating my NDA.

Look - you can give your "Review" once you have in your hands. Make assumptions based off an uneducated guess or incorrect information just looks stupid, I'm sorry.

What it Is:
It's a HDMI dongle that is powered by Chrome OS that is designed for Streaming.

How it Works:
You have to connect to the same Wi-Fi network for it to work. Once it's setup you'll see the Chromecast logo and a basic Home Screen with some of the first apps available for Chromecast. A lot of development is going into it, so expect to see more apps from the Google Play store work with your TV. See your phone/tablet/computer more of a remote, rather than an actual streaming device.

I only tested on the iOS side (I don't have a Droid) and I can tell you that it works very well. It is NOT like Apple's AirPlay where your screen is mirrored, but rather uses "the Cloud" to access your content. It works smoother than AirPlay because it doesn't require buffering from your device, but rather directly to the TV. The only "syncing" that occurs is the Cloud communicating to the Chromecast where you're at. For example: I'm watching a Netflix movie and I'm at 1:06:17. I hit the Square button with the wi-fi looking icon called "Cast" and it syncs it to my Chromecast. This is only different for web-browsing through the currently Beta Chrome Tab Cast, where it'll show exactly what you're looking on Chrome, onto your TV. It's less functional than straight up mirroring like the Apple TV, but it works. You can't switch between apps and have that show on the screen. This is particularly useful in web-based presentations or while you check your email and your friends are watching Netflix.

Battery Drain on Mobile Devices:
Because of the way Chromecast works, it's streaming information from the Cloud vs. from your device. I noticed very little increase in the usage of battery on my iPhone 5 and my Macbook Air running Mountain Lion OSX.

Support for Streaming Services:
Right now, Streaming Service support is limited. Netflix, Google Services (Google Play, YouTube) and Web-based Streaming is allowed. I had issues trying to load Hulu the past couple days, telling me that my browser was unsupported, but I'll update once I get a chance.

Power Adapter:
The power adapter is an optional requirement. In fact, most modern TV's with HDMI 1.4 or higher spec are supported. The Chromecast can draw power from the HDMI port it's plugged into. If your TV doesn't support that, there's also a USB cable and power adapter included in the box. I have a 2012 LG LED and a 2013 Lenovo 27" Monitor with HDMI input and the ports power it with no cable.

All in all, I feel like it's still a huge work in progress. The SDK will allow for some exciting developments, and I'm happy to say that Google has committed to support this device for quite some time. It gives me piece of mind that this won't become out of date each year.

That being said, it's only $35. What a steal for a device that really brings value to any TV.

Sounds like the biggest "gotcha" may be the if your TV is more than a year or two old then it could require the USB dongle to also be plugged into a power supply to work.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 24, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

crm posted:

Is there any existing community on hacking these things? I was completely oblivious before yesterday.

I think the device was mostly hidden behind developer NDAs until yesterday.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

It was just announced yesterday so no.

It already has an SDK though so support for apps/services other than Netflix is probably incoming.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-google-ends-chromecast-netflix-promotion-20130725,0,483513.story

It appears that someone underestimated the demand for this. :lol:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

It's honestly not that big of a deal because it's still a $35 device.

Also a significant number of people ordering one of these right away probably already pay for Netflix.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

HTPC + Pirate streams.

This, because the NFL hates the internet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bo_chrud posted:

Yea but don't they broadcast all the games via OTA channels? They do here in GB.

Often yes, but not always, and they can opt to cancel broadcast of a local game if ticket sales are down.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

UFO posted:

Has anyone found a solution for TV tuner cards and utilizing them within Plex? I can do some leg work if it isn't straight forward.

What for? Playing broadcast TV content inside of Plex by way of the TV card in the computer?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably just a start-up doing the standard terrible job of forecasting their own releases.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the vast majority of stuff that is free with Prime is also on Netflix. There are a few things that are exclusive to one or the other, and Amazon has stuff that you can buy/rent that isn't streaming on Netflix at all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DominusDeus posted:

I cut cable a couple years ago, and had my TV do a scan for digital and analog signals (built in HD tuner), and got something like 16 channels. Ignoring the shopping, religious, and SD versions of the HD channels, I had 6 watchable channels (four local news in HD, PBS in HD and WGN). Turned the TV on this morning to find that four of my HD channels were not receiving a signal, so I ran the scan again…

I think someone dun goofed. I have around 61 watchable channels now. Disney, MTV, SciFi, Discovery, all those good channels.

They didn't actually turn your cable off when you cancelled.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Roku takes forever to update stuff. Add at least a month or two to whatever release dates they publish.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bbcisdabomb posted:

The Roku LT is on sale at Amazon right now, so how is it for SD video? My sister is just getting her own place and doesn't have an HDTV, will the Roku do fine for Netflix and possibly Hulu?

It will be fine. Netflix and Hulu are literally what the device as designed for.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/12/17/introducing-youtube-on-roku-3/

Roku finally adds an official Youtube channel.

Unfortunately it is only on the newest hardware.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just got notified of a refund from Amazon for a streaming video rental two weeks ago because they noticed that I had poor video playback. The reason for the poor video playback (a couple of long buffering periods during the movie) was because it was streaming over my girlfriend's parents' neighbor's stolen wifi with one bar of signal, but that is still pretty cool of them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Put a satellite dish on that hill, then charge all of the neighbors a subscription fee to run a hookup to their house.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Train them to say "I thought that this wire connects to the antenna on the roof? :confused: "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It seems like the network or the transcoding is a lot more likely to affect Plex's performanc than the speed of the HD.