Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
I'm reasonably certain I know that the answer to this is "noooope", but I want to be certain:

I picked up a new Samsung LCD with SmartHub, but I'm not a fan of the interface, or having to use the ARC to get sound out of my receiver. I picked up a Roku 3 yesterday, with the intention of just ignoring the SmartHub, and streaming everything through the Roku instead.

My current router is an Asus RT-N66U, to which I currently have connected a USB hard drive containing video, music, etc. The router doubles as a media server in this way, and has worked really well streaming to everything else (TV, laptops, Blu-Ray, etc), except the Roku.

I see that most people have gotten around this by running Plex on a computer containing the media, but I would like to keep the USB drive connected to the router, and have the Roku just access it directly. Is this in any way doable? The router does both DLNA and SMB sharing.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

withak posted:

There is a Roku channel somewhere that can read media from a local USB connection if your device has a USB port. I don't know what kind of formats it can handle though.

It does, but the hope is to just be able to leave the drive connected to the router, and not have to connect it to the Roku.

Thanks for the info, guys.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

withak posted:

If the drive isn't connected directly to the Roku then you need a server running somewhere.

And this was kind of my question- the router itself works as a media server, which other devices are able to access and stream from, just not the Roku. As I understand it, the Roku cannot directly access network shares, and there are not currently any available channels that do so, aside from Plex (which would require that the media be available on an actual computer, not the router). I'm truthfully kind of surprised that this kind of functionality isn't native to the Roku, considering nearly every single device I own is capable of this.

OpaqueEcho fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 29, 2013

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

withak posted:

Right. The Roku basically runs apps (that it calls "channels") that stream video from the relevant server (Amazon, Netflix, Plex on your computer, etc.). It sounds like the Roku app/channel that is designed to read files from disk only works with USB storage plugged directly into the Roku.

You would either need a Roku app/channel designed to access network shares, or a Roku app/channel designed to work with whatever kind of streaming media server is running on your router. It is possible that these exist, IDK.

Thanks, that confirms my understanding. After digging around a bit, I ran across this:

http://www.chaneru.com/

Which looks like it *might* do what I'm wanting...I'll give it a go when I get home.