Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about Winguard but I've used Signal GH to fine tune my HDHomeRun with great success.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/signal-gh/id289580769?mt=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The AppleTV 4K.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Todd VanDerWerff at Vox has an article out today about the future of cord cutting/streaming TV

His prediction is the industry is returning to cable bundles but the bundles don't come from the cable company.

The major studios and their corporate owners will all have their own streaming networks you can subscribe to. Then you'll have a bunch of additional options (no ads, niche extras) on top of the base subscription.

I'm sure we'll see a ton of this with the Disney+ service coming later this year. A base price of $15/month for the service which provides original content and recent theatrical released. No ads will be $25/month. If you want access to the Disney+ Vault, that'll be another $15/month. Got little kids? It'll be $10/month for Disney Junior access. All things Marvel? That'll be another $5/month. Older Star Wars films and media are $10/month.

It's a rightly awful future for consumers.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I guess it depends on what we've all been looking for since we abandoned cable.

There was a dream held by many to just get channels à la carte.

That dream never came to fruition unless your selection of wanted channels just happened to coincide with a skinny bundle from SlingTV or DTVN. And even then, you were still paying for channels you didn't watch.

So if all you wanted was the ability to watch Disney-owned content or Warner-owned content, the future is bright!

But if you wanted the ability to say "I want local stations plus Food Network and maybe E! and one or two others and nothing else", then the dream continues.

B-Nasty posted:

Most people just long for the glory days of Netflix, when they were the only game in town.

This might be part of it. This brought us close to perhaps to something even more unrealistic - choosing your programs in an à la carte bundle. (Which yes, you sorta can do technically with a season pass in iTunes or Amazon but that's not in the spirit of the idea).

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 15, 2019

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting from the AppleTV thread.

I don't know if there are any others using it but the Channels app for Apple, Android, and Fire TV just added TV Everywhere support.

Now, if you have a friend or family member's cable login info, you can use the app to "tune" into their live feeds from within the Channels app and you can also record said streams (access to their DVR software and TV Everywhere support is included within their Channels Plus subscription service).

Provides a guide view and everything as if it was a cable box.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have a QNAP which works great as a dvr.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Flipside: I really enjoy the Siri trackpad remote.

Would still love at least a mute button though. And a locator signal ala AirPods.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The 4th gen is starting to show its age. Not that it can’t run anything, just ever so slightly slower navigation and app launches.

That said, mine still does everything I need it to do and better than most other streaming boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Isn’t the Shield lagging behind/not receiving regular hardware updates?