Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

smackfu posted:

Another option for sports and other live events is OTA HDTV.

This antenna is $35, very small, and has great reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Leaf-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8

Your mileage will vary of course. If you live in a state with smaller cities that don't have their own TV transmitters, you may only be able to pick up a channel or two. But if you can pick up some channels, you may be pleasantly surprised at how good the quality is compared to cable or DTV.

That's because what's coming through the cable is compressed to hell and back, OTA is not.

Forgot I can plug my laptop into my tv for ESPNU/ESPN360 stuff since the iPad app only works with like 5 providers.

Is swear to god, Charter customers have access to ESPN3 via computer but not through the iPad app, how loving mental is that.

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

LoveMeDead posted:

We have been cable free for about 8 months. We have a blu-ray player in one room, and an X-Box360 in the other. We subscribe to Hulu+ and Netflix. The biggest problem I've run into is CBS. We watch a lot of shows on CBS and can only watch them on the computer at this point. Does anyone have a solution?

HDMI cable to TV?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

If you want to use ESPN360 on anything other than a web browser on a computer, you are pretty much required to get PlayOn. PlayOn is always running specials where you can get a lifetime license with a "free" Roku. I say "free" because they usually just give you a Amazon gift card for the cost of a Roku, so if you don't actually need a Roku it's still a pretty nice deal.

Even with ESPN360 and OTA, cutting cable if you want sports isn't easy. You only get select sports games on certain days. You can get something like NBA League Pass if you like basketball, but they have blackout rules so I can't actually follow my local team with it. Like at all unless I go through a proxy (I heard this doesn't work with MLB).

PlayOn is pretty drat useful, not just for sports. It's the only way to get Hulu on your mobile devices if you don't want to pay for Hulu+. And you can stream stuff from TV channel websites too. Spike puts tons of full episodes for all their shows up on their website.

Good to know

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Smythe posted:

My only gripe with HBO GO is their Boxee app is loving atrocious. But then again, Boxee. :negative:

My problem with HBOGO is you can't use AirPlay with it because they are a bunch of cocks.

But you can AirPlay the audio because hurrrrrr.

loving cocks.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BattleHork posted:

:golgo: them. iOS mirroring isn't that great unless the content is in 4:3, which I imagine the HBO GO stuff isn't. Thing is, I'm not sure if the people providing the apps don't want to build in proper AirPLay video support out of laziness, cable company paranoia, their own licensing issues, or Apple protecting their purchased video turf.

You can disable video/audio/both AirPlay in the app code so this falls squarely on HBO

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Peglegington posted:

Trouble shooting has shown me it's my router. Time for an upgrade. Do you guys wire everything or go wireless? Will going wireless cause issues (is that why you asked that)?

Get a good wireless N router.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
So if I wanted something that could connect to my NAS and play whatever is on there without keeping a computer running 24/7, which should I get, Roku 3 or FireTV?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Photex posted:

that sounds like FireTV with XBMC.

Cool, price just dropped too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

You should probably just call them.

T-t-t-talk to a p-p-p-person?