Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I am SERIOUSLY considering cutting cable at the end of the month. My only hindrance has been picking up the local broadcast stations. I have a basement apartment, and haven't found an indoor antenna that can pierce my concrete, underground walls. Seeing as how I live in an apartment, I'm restricted on what I can do in regards to an outdoor receiver. At best I can utilize the space directly outside my window, which would leave it buried in the snow half the year.

Anyone have any antenna suggestions for these extreme circumstances?

edit: I should say that when I say basement apartment I mean an apartment that was literally once a basement. So I don't have much going on in windows. I have one of those tiny basement windows and it faces East. 100% of my signals come from about eight miles south.

Ok, I'm a loving moron and just now realized my TV had different settings on the coaxial line that had to be set from cable to antenna. I can't believe I'm blown through five different antennas...

Lesson learned, read the TV's instruction manual.

Liar fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Thwomp posted:

Check to see how close you are to the broadcast towers in your area. Antennaweb is good for that. The closer you are, the less important the antenna is.

They're literally all up the road from me, all south within ten miles. But even still I get nothing from what I've tried from the store. I was initially avoiding the leaf because it'd be more difficult to return if it failed too, but since the entire internet seems to love it I'm guessing it'll be my absolute best chance.

Picking up a lot of stations, and they're coming across on the same quality level as cable. This pretty much seals the deal, gently caress cable.

All that's left now is finally deciding between Roku, Boxee, and Apple.

Liar fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 9, 2012

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Kilometers Davis posted:

I picked up a Roku 2 XD today. The selection is great but god drat is that interface rough. It's a good step to breaking from cable though (I live at home and use my parents cable sub so I'm basically just sick of cables selection). The huge selection of vintage sci fi, horror, etc is awesome. There's even a bunch of old PSAs and such.

After you've had some time with it could you post an every-man review of it? I've been using my BluRay player, which streams Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Crackle, YouTube, and about three different VOD stations. But I hate that I have to wait for it to turn on... aka I want something I can leave on constantly. I also want more options in terms of viewing.

Liar fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 15, 2012

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

spaztaz posted:

There are lots of podcasts, religious stations, old public domain movies, indie films, and obscure anime.

Just how much of a variety of anime is there? This would honestly be a selling point for me if there's enough to justify it beyond what you can already see on Crackle, Hulu, and Netflix.

Also that list of stations is massive... Do you have the option to favorite channels on Roku, or at least delete the ones you wouldn't watch anyway? Or do you have to scroll through everything every time?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

spaztaz posted:

There is a channel store that lists out all of the channels. You pick the ones you want and they appear in the main menu. By default you have Netflix, Hulu, NewsCaster, Crackle, Pandora, and probably a couple others. I forgot to mention it earlier, but I'd also highly recommend the Netflix Instant Watch Browser channel. It is only a one time payment of $3.

Awesome. Funny to think that the cost of cutting cable for one month will pay for its' lifetime replacement.

edit: As silly as it might sound I'm almost bothered by having to put in effort to chose what I want to watch. I miss the randomness of watching TV. Is anyone aware of anything that randomly chooses episodes from your Netflix/Hulu tv picks to show?

Liar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 19, 2012