Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Peglegington posted:

I moved recently and cut the cord in the process. Got a boxee and my xbox and between the two watch literally anything I could possibly ever want.

My question, though: what speed internet do you guys use?

I ask because there's one point that's been bugging me lately: I like playing a game on the PC (Starcraft 2 or whatever) while watching TV if I'm trying to really escape from thinking about anything. I'm averaging 35mbps down, so I imagine it's not really a problem, but I do get occasional big lagging/buffering/etc. spikes.

So what internet speeds do you internet-only users select from your internet provider? I can upgrade mine, but the 50 mbps or (goodness) 105 mbps options kind of eat into my "saving money by cutting the cord" bonus.

It's probably more of a problem with your equipment. What modem, router do you have? Running any of the devices wireless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Peglegington posted:

Trouble shooting has shown me it's my router. Time for an upgrade. Do you guys wire everything or go wireless? Will going wireless cause issues (is that why you asked that)?

Wiring everything will be better, but sometimes thats not an option. I have had good luck with wireless, but I also wouldn't buy cheap wireless devices and expect them to perform on the same level as, lets say an Apple Airport Extreme, or some of the new Asus wireless routers.