Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another option for sports and other live events is OTA HDTV.

This antenna is $35, very small, and has great reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Leaf-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8

Your mileage will vary of course. If you live in a state with smaller cities that don't have their own TV transmitters, you may only be able to pick up a channel or two. But if you can pick up some channels, you may be pleasantly surprised at how good the quality is compared to cable or DTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there a list somewhere of shows that just aren't available for viewing outside of TV close the air date? For instance, Persons of Interest. And all HBO stuff, but that's expected.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We got DirecTV Now mainly for the discount Apple TV 4K and I am amazed they don’t have DVR capability. Not even pausing of live TV. It fees like a real step backwards from cable. OTOH the picture quality definitely feels better than our cable.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

astral posted:

When I (briefly) tried DTV Now, I was able to pause live TV. Hopefully it's not a channel-specific thing.

Yeah I suppose technically it pauses in the sense of freezing the screen and muting. But when you resume it goes to the current position, not back where you paused it.