Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You must really hate your parents if you’re gonna buy them some poo poo from Ali Express that will barely function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I know for myself, when I used YTTV or Hulu Live TV, I didn't care about the 'live' part. The real value for me was the TV provider logins for the apps and websites for the channels.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

My Spectrum package just went up too. The excuse is that the channels and stations increased their fees, so spectrum had to pass it on to the customers. I don't understand how that justifies increasing the cost of the internet though. I'd love to cancel. But they're literally my only option for high speed internet. I would be paying way more if I went with just their internet and then an OTT service like YTTV or Hulu.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The PS3 is ancient at this point and for all intents and purposes no longer supported, so no surprise there. The Switch is ancient hardware at this point so I have no idea how well streaming apps perform. In terms of apps, you'd also be severely limiting yourself. On Switch I see a YouTube app, but no Netflix, Paramount Plus, Disney+. You get the idea.

Get an Apple TV for way less than the cost of a Switch.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 21, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zat posted:

Also the Switch has next to no apps for streaming; no Netflix etc. Something like a used Xbox One S would be a decent buy instead if cheap enough, assuming no needs for the gaming side because the One S is a trash console for gaming (whereas the Series S is a pretty good one). It's got a good app support and stuff plays well.

That's true too. If they're dead set on a console for a set top box, the Series S is the way to go. MSRP is $300 but always go on sale for $250 or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

After 26 years, I finally ditched Dish Network. As expected, they didn't want to go without a fight. I called and tried to be direct and told the agent I wanted my account closed and didn't want to discuss it any further. His response was, "I know you said you didn't want to discuss it any further, but...". And then I said, "But you're going to discuss it anyway" and I hung up.

Called back and got another guy and was able to muscle my way through his attempts to keep me on as a customer. It took over 35 minutes.

I replaced Dish with Sling TV (ironic considering Dish uses Sling tech) and knocked off over 50% of the bill and I still have DVR functionality.

The only thing I'll miss are the three network shows I still watch (SNL, Simpsons, and Family Guy (don't start)) and those are usually available from, um, alternate sources (eventually, after the strike is over). I'll also miss Jeopardy, but that's usually on YouTube the same day.

I've had no luck with OTA antennas. but it's not a big enough deal to worry about.

The only thing about Sling TV I don't like so far is the clunky interface (on a Vizio TV). I'll figure it out soon enough, although having channel numbers and an onscreen keypad would be a vast improvement.

I don't know which Sling package you have but according to their website, Blue includes NBC. Depending on what network affiliate airs Jeopardy in your area, it would also solve that issue.

Hulu would also solve your Simpsons and Family Guy problem.