Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

So we cut cable back in February and I've been keeping a laptop handy for watching video from itunes and other sources. We use the 360 for Netflix and Amazon Prime but as everyone knows it sucks a dick for streaming from your own network unless the files are in very specific formats.
I'm sick of the laptop being on the coffee table, i'm sick of the cables running around the room, so what's my best bet for network streaming? A Boxee? Roku? I've never had much skill for building PCs so I don't think an HTPC is the right thing for me. In the Boxee thread the popular opinion these days is that the device sucks and from reading here I gather that the Roku doesn't natively stream from a local network.
Are any of the other box options suitable for my needs? Does anyone make a pre made HTPC?

Another option would be an AppleTV if you have an iPhone/iPad and a decent PC to transcode on the fly.

I spent a week dog-sitting last month and was able to stream my entire collection to their Apple TV via AirVideo. Definitely an option to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

goku chewbacca posted:

I know Aereo requires a billing address in their service area, which last I checked was still NYC metro area. Can I get service by using a prepaid card with my address set to some hotel in NYC, or area they using IP location or WiFi/GPS geolocation, too?

I've used them a few times for big events like the 2012 election, the Super Bowl, etc. I just paid with a prepaid card using a random NYC address plus Firefox has an awesome geolocation spoof addon as well.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

What's the best way for a friend of mine to get all the NFL games while staying in Guam for some contracting? I see multiple (legitimate pay) options out there, but I'm not sure which one is best. He's trying to watch every game live, not just Sunday a la Sunday Ticket, etc.

He's tech savvy enough to use a VPN, so using something that's outside of the 'local' realm wouldn't be an issue.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 9, 2015

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I have "Blast" through Comcast and pay $49.99 a month for 100/10. My promotional period was at $35 and then they tried to jack it up to $75 a month.

I find blasting them on Twitter is effective. They hate negative press, especially via social media.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

A quick recap after catching up,

-Purchase DTVN 3 month promo in AT&T store to avoid getting an ATV4 shipped vs walk out in hand?

-Same thoughts as tngffl for the best indoor antenna. Living downtown in PDX amongst tall buildings gave me poo poo when I went with a leaf 3-4 years ago. I can't run anything outside due to my property company, so I'm hoping for the best inside solution.

-Is TV/box mirroring dead? I looked at Sling again and they look outdated/shady as hell with ads. My parents have a box they hardly use in the guest bedroom that I could rig up but I'm wondering if that tech is dead by this point.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm about to give OTA a try again after 4, maybe 5 years? I live in small studio apartment downtown (97209), so anything exterior or huge is out.

Last time I tried with the Mohu Leaf which gave me poo poo for channels. Maybe it was because of the building interference or 'older' tech, who knows. Anyways, new apartment, same area and most locators for my zip seem to indicate strong signal strength. Recommendations?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

It seems like the Shield is king if you have the cash. I love the new FireTV I bought, but the Shield has Plex TV live/DVR and Steam streaming.

Not a huge deal, although it's making me rethink my purchase during the 30-day window. Nvidia seems to have a lot of muscle behind this.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Is the Shield the de-facto 'king' if money isn't an option? I'm happy so far with the FireTV I just got but the Shield seems to have more options and horsepower. As a Prime member, now that they have Amazon, seems like no reason to switch.

Mainly use Plex, Kodi, some Netflix and Prime streaming. The gaming aspect does interest me, possibly in the future.

The main thing right now is being able to use Plex live tv OTA with an EPG and currently isn't only available on the Shield and mobile devices.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I have a FireTV and, aside from YouTube TV, all of the other major services(Hulu, Vue, Sling, and DTVN) have the channels that I'm looking for, so I should be set along with my OTA.

I've tested out Sling and DTV so far. It seems like Sling is more stable while DTVN seems to have better quality & interface. Before testing out Hulu and Vue, what people's experiences with any of the quality, stability or interfaces using these?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Hulu's DRM has turned me off compared to other services. So far, I've settled on Sling and it's been reliable (aside from random errors maybe one a week).

As someone who travels on a regular basis, their rules are outrageous. Sling is much more flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

YTTV has been great, albeit sharing with 2 friends, on random stuff I don’t want to automate with my Plex server. Mainly HDTV or ESPN showings but also general white noise in the background. Unlimited DVR is nice as well, so I can’t complain.