Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My parents are interested in weaning off Comcast TV service, so I came here to look for current info. The OP hasn't been updated since 2012 and Irritated Goat hasn't posted in this thread since 2016. Maybe it's time for a new thread with an updated OP?

Can someone explain what the deal is with HBO and Roku, in simple terms? I brought over my Roku tonight and introduced them to The Mandalorian, but they'd like to be able to watch HBO as well. Will Roku get an HBO app someday, or should they get a FireTV Stick instead?

Also, a while back I picked up a FireTV Stick off Facebook Marketplace, I figured out later that it's a first-gen stick. It took like eight OS updates until it was current, but now it's slower than a dying dog. Is this normal for this model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thank you both! My parents have a dumb (!) TV from 2013 so 4k isn't a factor for them at the moment, and their app exposure has been whatever's available on their Comcast DVR and their Blu-Ray player.

They do like to watch some broadcast/cable TV channels though, e.g. MSNBC or CNN in the mornings, CBS for 60 Minutes, SNL. They like DVR functionality so they can watch things later if they can't at air time.

Am I correct in advising them to compare between Hulu TV, YouTube TV and Sling TV? And maybe consider T-Mobile's new service?

I have to admit that new Fire stick is tempting, I might just get it to take with me if I ever get to travel again.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If whatever service they go with gives them the ability to watch something already aired a day or two later, they'll be happy. Doesn't have to be something they explicitly mark to record.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I went ahead and got myself a Fire Stick Lite. How do I download the HBO Max app on it? I try searching and all I can find is the option to add it as a Prime Video Channel. I don't think I hate that, but I think I'd like the option of the standalone app. For the record I currently have HBO service thru Comcast, but I'll change that once I have an app I can login to.

EDIT: nm, just read an article saying it's logged in via Prime Video Channels. Mystery solved.

Okay, next question: why can't I find the "new" Hulu app and download it?

EDIT 2: Turns out the Fire Stick (and my account) thought I was in Canada. All sorted now.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 1, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What is the difference, if any, between using HBO Max standalone and adding it as a Prime Video channel?

If I did the latter, could I access it on my Roku?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thank you both! Good info to know.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

:krad:itshappening.gif:krad:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So my sister, my dad and I want to do a family plan for streaming. A few questions:

- Is YouTube TV the only game in town for that kind of thing? Hulu doesn't seem to offer a family plan
- The three of us live in the same city but different apartments. Will that cause us any grief?
- Would we continue to pay for our own Disney+/HBO Max/Netflix/Hulu/etc. accounts?
- Anything else to help us understand how it all works? If it matters, my dad and I both have a Roku, my sister has an Android TV

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Okay, so each of us logs into YTTV on our devices in our homes, and we'll see whatever streaming services we add to our profiles then?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The price of Disney+ goes up $30/year tomorrow. I looked at renewing it and decided to renew The Disney Bundle. Nice that it's still fairly cheap, I just wish there was a way to do a digital gift card for the bundle.

A bit confusing, but when renewing it showed me that my monthly payments going forward would be $21.something per month.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My dad has invited my sister and I to his family group on YouTube TV. Do we just give him money for the monthly bill, or does Google bill us separately?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I already gave him a $100 gift card for Netflix to wean him off my account. He's going on a two week road trip tomorrow but he'll set that up after he gets back.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does Saturday Night live on Apple TV+ include the cold open every week? I want to watch last night's cold open, but I'm in :canada: and having a hard time finding it.

Edit: apparently not :(

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 29, 2024

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Croatoan posted:

Seriously? You get SNL but they cut out the cold open? How weird.

I was reading the summaries and some of them mention the cold open, but not this past one. Bit the bullet to check and no joy.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Silly Burrito posted:

Should be on YouTube under their name, it’s the NFL one.

https://youtu.be/hjlIFPJUL5Q?si=CbEmAsJzhGOP8S0O

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://twitter.com/MittenDAmour/status/1781752084750074140

@MittenDAmour posted:

Can’t remember who told me this but it’s fixed the blight of Netflix playing tiny mouse fart dialogue audio drowned behind trumpeting background noise.

It thinks your TV is surround sound, so change this from English [Original] 5.1 to just English [Original]. You’re welcome.