Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok so I'm taking the dive! I already bought two of the new 2016 roku sticks. I need one more for my main TV. Should I go with another stick or get the full roku 3? It seems like the new stick is just as powerful and it doesn't need an outlet. Advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I cut the cord. Is there a way to delete the Fandango BS off the pre-installed crap that's on the New Roku Stick?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I don't know about y'all but the Roku remotes for the Roku stick 2016 are poo poo. When getting 2 sticks to cut my cable i had to return two devices to get remotes that didn't suck. Now one of the good ones is going to poo poo. It's non-responsive for a bit and then will work again while my phone app remote works fine so I know it's not the stick itself.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Nifty posted:

I have my friends ATT cable login info. I havent purchased any streaming devices or anything. Ive googled around but cant find any concrete helpful info. What device (roku etc) or other solution can I use to exploit having that login info and watch a bunch of free cable?

There's tons of channel apps on both the roku and the fire stick. You do have to sign into each and every one and it's annoying but I've only had to relink the apps maybe once every few weeks? On some of them I don't think I've ever had to? I'm not sure if it'd be more often as I mostly stick with Netflix/Hulu/Plex so I don't use the individual apps all that much.

Maneki Neko posted:

There's a uverse app for Xbox one and tablets/smartphones, not anything else.

The Amazon fire stick has it too. It's kind of clunky though

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hell I'm waiting for a Logitech remote that'll control RF (my Roku and my PS3), bluetooth (my Amazon Fire) and everything else I have in my house (IR). This unicorn of monstrous proportions would probably for for $500+ however.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The Gunslinger posted:

FWIW my Harmony Smart Control does this already and it was $99 when I bought it.

I'll be damned. Thanks man! So the PS4 is even worse to control than the PS3? Mine does fine but I got one of the discontinued IR hub things that plugs into the PS3 for the way over priced amount of $50.96.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The Gunslinger posted:

It basically registers itself as a bluetooth keyboard to the PS4. It works fine but like I said, it can't power up the PS4 which is loving stupid. I hope Logitech just says gently caress you to Sony and mimics the calls from their official remote but I suspect nothing will happen because they're busy enough adding support for other poo poo all the time.

It controls the Xbox One, Shield and all of my other poo poo perfectly though.

I just thought about something. Can it learn commands from another remote? All of the ones I've had in the past could. That'd fix your turning on issue.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Don Lapre posted:

The ps4 doesn't have ir

Well poo poo. I didn't know if it could learn other commands through the hub acting as a receiver. gently caress Sony man.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anyone here familiar with antennas? I adjusted mine yesterday and now I can pull in a few more channels (I needed Fox for NFL) but it's weird. It kept having dropouts during the day and I was going to wait until the sun went down to adjust it again since god drat it's loving hot on my roof but as soon as the sun went down the drat thing got perfect reception. I've been googling it and it may happen if you're near a shed or something but it's at the apex of my roof and there's nothing near it. WTH? Maybe I should get a 10' mast?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Iron Crowned posted:

Out of curiosity, how are you adjusting your antenna?

EDIT:

Also, what kind of antennae are you using? Setup? etc.

I've got this one. https://amzn.com/B01C1YL16Y

I uninstalled my satellite dish and ran a new coaxial straight to my TV to the antenna while it's using the satellite's old mast. I was adjusting by turning it until reception seemed best and then tightening the nuts back up. Same thing as the old bunny ears routine just with someone on the roof and hollering to each other.

I was thinking about upgrading to this https://amzn.com/B000BSGCSA but holy poo poo that thing's 12" long and $116

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
No preamp, just the antenna. I heard that since I'm getting a signal, it's just weak, that a amplifier might end up degrading the signal. Also the one I got was super cheap so I'm pretty sure they just throw up whatever mile they think will sell on the amazon listing. The tower I'm pulling from is 28 miles from me. Oddly enough the other stations I'm pulling from are 27 and 30 miles and they're fine? Apparently the one I'm trying to get is UHF but so are the other two.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

wormil posted:

Is there a good primer for cord cutting? I looked around a bit and found ideas but no hard data about cost comparisons and whatnot. When I last looked into it, I got the impression that by the time I paid for ala carte services + DVR, I wouldn't be saving much money but would drastically increase my inconvenience. I could probably get by with the main networks over antenna + some kind of DVR but I would want a few of the other channels like AMC, Syfy, BBCA, probably a couple others.

I started here. http://www.cutcabletoday.com/

As for inconvenience, ever since killing satellite and doing my setup my TV viewing experience is so much better than before. I'll never go back. Here's what I got:

2 Roku sticks
Amazon Fire
Amazon prime (had it already for shipping so it's kinda free to me)
Ad free Hulu
Netflix
Plex and a bunch of nerd channels like Smithsonian
Antenna for locals

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Agreed. My son loving LOVES the PBS kids app. Superwhy! is a constant and the dude just watches the same episodes over and over again until the next week when new ones pop up and then I get to learn all about Tilden the caterpillar or whatever poo poo needs to get stuck in my head for that week. Repetitive? If the dude gets a hold of the remote I have to listen to the theme song 10 times before I snap and take it away and make him finish the episode.

Also, I have a boatload of stuff in a folder titled "For The Kids" on my Plex server.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's been in my head since I made my post. Super readers saved the day again I guess.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

angryrobots posted:

There is still weird stuff on the yt kids app. My kids love the "unwrapping" videos.

Why a 3 yo is fascinated by watching an adult slowly unwrap small collectible toys, is beyond me.

(But yes, there is endless content on YouTube)

Man tell me about it. Unboxing videos hold zero interest to me but little dude LOVES watching unboxing videos of toys and especially McDonald's happy meal toys and reviews. I had the regular youtube app where he could get to it but with parental controls on but I had to put a stop to that. Some people (I'm assuming tweens with basic video editing software) make the weirdest mash up videos of PBS intros and the like. poo poo was so weird and bizarre I deleted the app because he'd sit there and watch the same 30 second video over and over and spaz out.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I just found out you can watch Fox and ESPN NFL games live via their apps as long as you're logged in with your credentials. This is great news as my antenna sucks for Fox. You know, in case you're away from your cable service. Like if it was your dad's.

As for a DVR, are we going to go back to setting up VHS recorders to tape our OTA antennas?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
LOL if you don't use one of these bad boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Don Lapre posted:

That is literally what history channel runs

http://www.history.com/schedule

I love how History en Espaņol has actual documentaries and the English one is constant bullshit.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I noticed that some shows are down to 18 minutes of content for a half hour show rather than the standard 22.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

ScarletBrother posted:

Finally cutting the cord this week. Went with a new FireTV for the device. Currently already have Netflix and Prime Streaming.

What are goons' thoughts on Sony Vue versus Sling? My wife watches a lot of Bravo shows, so having access to them is critical. Reviews on Reddit seem to favor Vue. Thanks in advance!

Congrats and as for an answer, read the last two pages. That's literally what we've been discussing.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Why the hell does the CW have an app with their shows on the Fire device but they only have CW Seed which is crap on Roku?

Edit: Because they just released it yesterday or Monday because it wasn't there on Sunday. Nothing to see here, I should know better to double check before I whine.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I searched for it on Monday because I saw an ad for it on Supergirl and just CW Seed came up and I've had CW seed since August :shrug:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Three Olives posted:

Just buy a Harmony, they are very good, you will have few to any complaints. My one piece of advice is if you just need to control your TV, audio and FireTV just buy the simple remote, not the touch screen remote. Sure the touch screen looks cool but unless you are controlling a gazillion devices or a ton of activities or using it for your smart home the touch screen just makes it harder to use and it has to be charged.

I bought a Harmony to make my life easier, not more complicated. Touch screens rarely make things easier to use if they were already simple.

This is good advice. Touch screen remotes look cool but boy do they suck when you want to rewind really quick and grab the remote and you accidentally tell it to skip to the next episode or something equally stupid because there's no tactile feedback for your dumb monkey fingers. I've had a few Harmony remotes in my time (drat dog ate like 3 when she was a puppy because it smelled like daddy's hand) and even getting a rechargeable base is negligible in perceived value to actual value. The one thing I'd suggest is always get a model that handles the number of devices you need it to and make sure there's at least one spare slot for an additional device. It really sucks to have to sacrifice a device when you get something you didn't know you'd want a few years later.

P.S. I have dumb monkey fingers.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 13, 2016

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So am I poo poo out of luck if I want to watch hockey but I don't want to sign up for Sling or Vue?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah I have a few shows I keep up with but for the most part (The Flash is my crack) I just had to change my mentality of letting a season or whatever become available to me. It wasn't that hard after I had gotten used to Netflix dumping full seasons. I just have to chill out and forget about a show until later that year.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Burden posted:

Pretty sure you can watch The Flash through the CW app for free.

I do. I just have to watch it on Wednesdays. I was saying rather than waiting for an entire season to finish.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think it's an age thing. I haven't felt the need to talk about last nights episode of whatever since I was in my late 20s. Meanwhile my 7 year younger sister just had a walking dead season premier watching party for her coworkers.

Same here. I haven't given a crap ever since I got used to a DVR. Being able to skip commercials > talking to a coworker about whatever happened in an episode.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

sellouts posted:

It's ok to be wrong, sweetie. You don't have to hide behind "u mad?" You're better than that.

Anyways...

You're weird.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'd also exchange it if you can. You shouldn't be getting that lovely of a range.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Roku has remote issues. I bought two 2016 sticks when they came out and exchanged one twice because the remote sucked rear end. I wouldn't have known they could be better if the other one wasn't just fine. Amazon's return policy is great.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Fuzz posted:

The Disney channel is literally the devil and will gently caress up your kid. Just saying.

Are you on something?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh yeah I hadn't thought about the ads. It's not nearly as bad when you use the apps on Roku than the straight up channels.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Disney Jr has increased ads greatly on the Roku. My daughters, for the first time outside of walking through Walmart, now see these toys and want them all.

That sucks. TBH my son is super stuck on Super Why! so I haven't paid attention to Disney for like 6 months.

Also in other news HOLY poo poo! Amazon Video is 100% better after today. They updated their app today that brought it's functionality forward 10 years to the point where it almost competes with Netflix. You can fast-forward and see actual frames while you fast-forward instead of just, I don't know, guessing?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 13, 2016

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

RevKrule posted:

While not a 700, I had an 880 that had a similar in it. Basically it's just a tiny gyro that would move and light everything up. On one of my 880s, it stopped rattling and that stopped working. Again, not a 700 but from a similar era so I would 100% believe this.

I had the same exact issue with an 880. The problem corrected itself when my dog who was still a puppy at the time decided it would be a good chew toy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Three Olives posted:

Yeah but at least if you have a prime membership a lot of the Amazon content is free instead of just constantly trying to sell you stuff like the Roku.

bull3964 posted:

Nope, just M-GO Fandango Now.

You guys know you can turn that stuff off in your settings, right?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Sorry those are not that bad IMO. I was referring to the Fandango crap. It used to bug the poo poo out of me until I figured you could turn it off. The banner on the far right though? Not nearly as invasive as Amazon hammering you over the head with their content.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
gently caress that's a good deal. However with Christmas I can't afford the $105 right now. Hope they keep it going until January.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok so I'm still talking the wife into it because I'm a dork. I have a fire and a roku. Why would I want an Apple TV? I want it just because I love nerding out over poo poo but need to convince her. Any advantages? Better interface? Can you put Kodi on it?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

There's obvious integration advantages if you have other Apple products and/or have a computer with an iTunes library.
There's supposedly a single sign on thing for all the channel apps coming "soon".
Siri gives you some basic voice control, which going by history will probably be expanded sometime but never as good as people hope.
It looks like Apple is going to use the ATV as the "hub" for HomeKit smart devices, so there's that potential if it tickles you.
And for info, it's not Kodi but the ATV has a Plex app available.

And yeah, burrito, no Amazon video. You can fudge it with AirPlay if you have another iDevice.

Thanks man. I'm probably not gonna then. It'd be fun to putz around with but nothing to go crazy over. There's nothing I can't do with my fire or roku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Unexpected posted:

I actually did get the DirecTV Now + Apple TV deal (waiting for it to arrive in mail). I'll play around with it a bit and will buy another Apple TV for the second TV if everything works out fine.
Good plan. There's a lot of peace and harmony in homes that have only one UI on all of their TVs. You'd probably be happier with the ATV.

Fuzz posted:

Personally I don't understand why anyone would get an Apple TV, but then again I don't understand why people wouldn't have Amazon Prime.
I'm a nerd who loves tinkering around. If I didn't have my pop's AT&T login for my cable apps I'd be all over the DTVNow and ATV deal.

The way I see the main devices are

Roku: No Kodi
Amazon Fire: UI sucks but that's being fixed as we speak. Might be the best one depending on how that turns out.
ATV: No Amazon
Chromecast: Duno, need to get one to gently caress around with it.
Shield: For nerds with way more cash than me

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 6, 2016