Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

We cut the cable a while ago and have had a Roku for a long time. We decided on Roku because it was the only box with a Hulu app, but the UI was painful. The Hulu app was especially bad, it's like they sacrificed usability for aesthetics. Pretty, but every click felt like it had to be bounced off some laggy server in Tibet. God forbid you wanted to pause video or ffwd/rwd, it would choke and crash (freeze for minutes at a time) if you didn't just let it play.

So with Apple TV getting Hulu, I squealed with joy. The UI is 100 times more responsive, and having a YouTube app and AirPlay is pretty fun for entertaining the toddlers.

Big drawback to the Apple TV is that we got pretty used to the BBC World Service video stream on the Roku, I can't find ANY way to get it on the Apple TV, even via AirPlay, because the video stream doesn't seem to be available in the US ... outside of that Roku app.

I miss it! Maybe using a proxy will help, I haven't tried that yet. Or I could buy an HDMI y-splitter/switch thing at monoprice and plug the Roku back in. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

I feel like the revenue system for the NFL won't support streaming. I'm no longer interested in sitting through two-plus-hours of commercials and 60 minutes of game time, half of which is people standing around or sideline shots, but someone is paying for that.

I'd pay $10 a month during football season for ad-free or limited ad game streaming though.

According to Forbes, the networks pay a total of 3 billion a year to the NFL to maintain their artificial scarcity business model. It'll have to be a legislative or legal decision to break that poo poo up.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I was a U-verse customer until we recently switched to Comcast. HBO Now on U-verse was buffer-free, and high quality at their 18MB speed tier. Comcast is twice as fast in almost every situation at their 25MB tier, but HBO Now suffers terrible video quality and more pausing to buffer the further I get through any episode.

Is Comcast loving with me?

Would a VPN conceal the traffic's source and allow a better quality HBO Now experience?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

SlingTV has improved in this past year. I tried to use it to watch the NBA playoffs 2 years ago and it was complete dogshit. The most popular games would be utterly unwatchable. This years' playoffs, including some of the highest rated games ever, were perfect clear HD streams.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

On the subject of spoofing location via DNS to improve online sports services, is that really all it takes?

I'd be willing to pay for NBA League Pass if it didn't black out nationally televised games (which means most of the best games all season and the entire playoffs).

For some reason, I thought it would require a VPN. Vaguely, connecting to the stream through the VPN and then switching the VPN off to improve the data rate. Seemed like a lot of hassle and not quite a sure-thing solution for me to risk $150. I've also heard about using a proxy. Now DNS might also be a solution?

Do any of you have experience signing up for NBA League Pass International? How would you suggest I do it for this next year?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Thank you gents!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

That's why you sail the loving seas.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

If only the NBA was also so desperate for young viewers that they actually cared about league pass and basically gave it away like that.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I don't know poo poo enough to bolster this hope, but I hope that Musk's Starlink system will be ubiquitous enough to compete across the board and make Comcast and their parallel monopoly partners in Time Warner or who tf they are will have to compete. Like we all hoped for Google Fiber.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Or hehestreams, which is better in every conceivable way.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

I think League Pass doesnt give you TNT or ESPN games, which is a lot of marquee matchups. Hehestreams is ok but I never came back because “HTML5 video!!” and “CHROMECAST!!” is a poor substitute for a proper phone or streaming box app

I don't understand the problem.

I use hehestreams with Safari on an iPhone, iPad, or MacBook and airplay to an AppleTV. It's fantastic quality, no blackouts, no artificial hardware restrictions, replays available from days before, no limits. It's exactly how League Pass should be.

When I'm watching on the device, not AirPlay, I just full-screen the video. No app necessary.

(edited to not be such an rear end in a top hat, sorry)

duodenum fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

content matching?