Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
In the last year or two, we've seen T-Mobile change the mobile industry pretty much on it's own by ending built-in subsidies in favor of lower monthly rates. Does anyone think that eventually all these various competitors (such as Sling, HBO Go Standalone,etc) will act in a similar manner, forcing "a la carte" cable just for cable companies to stay relevant?

None of these cable-cutting options are a great fit for me, and I guess I feel that my situation is not that uncommon: I only watch maybe 5 or so "core" channels a lot, and then a couple more channels I watching only 1 show from. The way cable packages are done I need to go up to a mid-high tier just based on the channels I watch, even though there's not a good reason for that.

The other problem I run into DVRing. I like cable because I tend to save a couple shows for a while, and don't like having to worry if they'll "disappear" next month or whatever. That one is probably an edge case, but it's the other
reason I have a hard time with switching over to a streaming-only service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU