Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

LoveMeDead posted:

We have been cable free for about 8 months. We have a blu-ray player in one room, and an X-Box360 in the other. We subscribe to Hulu+ and Netflix. The biggest problem I've run into is CBS. We watch a lot of shows on CBS and can only watch them on the computer at this point. Does anyone have a solution?

Aside from just hooking up a PC to the TV, HDHomeRun OTA tuner to record them on a PC running Windows Media Center as they air, then you can use the Xbox 360 to watch the recordings.

Or, try PlayOn running on the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.
A note on the Leaf antenna: It doesn't do VHF signals, at least not well. Some areas have DTV channels on the VHF band (7-13). Mine has three: ABC, NBC and PBS. Check the "Real" frequency on http://tvfool.com/ for your location for the physical frequencies used in your area.

If you need the VHF band, this similar unit from Winegard http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Company-FL-5000-FlatWave-Digital/dp/B0063705PE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1339852686&sr=8-9&keywords=winegard will cover that. I have the Costco version of this, which is translucent instead of black and white, and costs about $30.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Thwomp posted:

Enjoy your free TV!

And the 2 Korean TV stations, the 9 spanish language networks, the 2 old-timey rerun networks, and the 1 polish station.

Where are you people living that you have all that? Everything I get aside from the major networks are home shopping or about the Bible.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Liar posted:

Just how much of a variety of anime is there? This would honestly be a selling point for me if there's enough to justify it beyond what you can already see on Crackle, Hulu, and Netflix.

Also that list of stations is massive... Do you have the option to favorite channels on Roku, or at least delete the ones you wouldn't watch anyway? Or do you have to scroll through everything every time?

Try the Manga Video channel. It's free, although there are annoyingly frequent ads. They seem to mostly have hilariously violent stuff from the 80s and 90s like Angel Cop and MD Geist.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

golgo13sf posted:

My problem with HBOGO is you can't use AirPlay with it because they are a bunch of cocks.

But you can AirPlay the audio because hurrrrrr.

loving cocks.

:golgo: them. iOS mirroring isn't that great unless the content is in 4:3, which I imagine the HBO GO stuff isn't. Thing is, I'm not sure if the people providing the apps don't want to build in proper AirPLay video support out of laziness, cable company paranoia, their own licensing issues, or Apple protecting their purchased video turf.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

When are NFL ticket sales ever down? Here in Houston you have to murder someone to get a ticket. And if your team is on Monday night football they still have to show it OTA. I am sadly leaving the cableless era. I couldn't explain my setup to my girlfriend and just ordered that new Comcast DVR. At least it looks to have a better interface than the old one

Tampa and San Diego home games have been nearly always blacked out for the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

emocrat posted:

I had a similar dilemma when I cancelled my satellite service, my solution was to buy a standalone (set top box) HDTV tuner with an HDMI out that could be placed in the in wall cabinet and run through my receiver. I paid about $40 I think for this.
I wouldnt really recommend that exact model, while it does the job, the IR sensor on the device is pretty crappy and it can be hard to use the remote. But there are other models to looks through.

The HomeWorx box looks interesting: http://www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW-150PVR-Converter-Recording-Function/dp/B00CXAE92K/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t
For $5 more, it adds VCR-style recording functionality with a USB drive attached.