Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

So we cut cable back in February and I've been keeping a laptop handy for watching video from itunes and other sources. We use the 360 for Netflix and Amazon Prime but as everyone knows it sucks a dick for streaming from your own network unless the files are in very specific formats.
I'm sick of the laptop being on the coffee table, i'm sick of the cables running around the room, so what's my best bet for network streaming? A Boxee? Roku? I've never had much skill for building PCs so I don't think an HTPC is the right thing for me. In the Boxee thread the popular opinion these days is that the device sucks and from reading here I gather that the Roku doesn't natively stream from a local network.
Are any of the other box options suitable for my needs? Does anyone make a pre made HTPC?

I use a Roku for this along with watching Netflix and Prime. Just had to download a program called Plex on my PC which works like Windows Media Center and then download a Plex app on the Roku to be able to see the files. Really simple and Plex automatically tags movies and series so it's all nice and organized. I splurged on the $99 Roku for the USB connection but I'm 90% positive you can just do everything wirelessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I've found it works better in chrome than other browsers but yea its slow no matter what you're running it on. What I did was set it up to monitor a couple folders, one for movies and one for tv, and just drag and drop files into those folders. Haven't even had to open plex again after initial setup.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
The CEO also mentioned before the ruling that there was no backup plan if the court ruled against him.