Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Kodi's for local streaming and illegal add-ons. Plex is for mobile streaming and stupid people who don't know about upnp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheScott2K posted:

Plex is for people who don't want to reencode every piece of media they own for upnp to work on all their devices

You shouldn't have to reencode anything. Only issue I know about is on the Roku since they don't have DTS support but even that's fixed by hooking it up to a receiver (or avoiding encodes with DTS audio)

stevewm posted:

I ended up wanting to access the same media on multiple devices, while do-able with Kodi (barely), its a kludge to setup and maintain.

It's like three steps. http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_UPnP

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 15, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheScott2K posted:

Must be nice living in the My Devices All Support Every Format utopia. Shame that you're sullying said utopia with trash like Kodi.

Yeah, it's awesome in Android land :c00lbutt:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

stevewm posted:

Yeah, that works, but its not complete. You cannot add uPnP sources to the actual library in Kodi, as they would be with a local or SQL setup. You have to go to Video/Files to access it. It also doesn't sync watch status or play position.

If you have a skin that allows custom home entries, you can link directly to the upnp source and hide the normal videos tab. It does sync watch status and (admittedly poorly) play position. It doesn't have the advanced playback features like if you scanned it directly into the library but neither does Plex so it's a wash.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Nitr0 posted:

Ah yes... let me download this skin and re-encode some poo poo then i'm gonna advance play this into my dick hole.

Actually just kidding im gonna hit play on plex. WOAH LOOK AT DAT VIDEO PLAY.

It just works*!

*as long as you have a powerful computer driving your power bill up 24/7 as it pointlessly transcodes your media for something less than 30 feet away

:shepface:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

did you miss you're in the 'i'm a dirty poor that can't afford cable anymore :(' thread?

(but for serious, direct play only works well on pc since it has all the codecs. the plex on my fire tv wanted to transcode everything. yet kodi can direct play everything.)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Or you can get dirt cheap 2011 netbook tier hardware that uses barely any power but can also throw multiple hd streams throughout your house because it doesn't have to transcode.

If you need to access your media outside of your home network, yeah, spend the extra money and set up Plex/Emby but most people are looking for 'how do i get my media from [computer/closet/spare room] to [tv/living room/bedroom]'

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BigFactory posted:

And this is quasi-legal or completely illegal and will subject people to possible litigation from angry content providers like Disney?

Completely illegal but no way you can get caught.

Also see Kodi streaming add-ons that use filelockers. They're a good alternative if you don't want a hard copy or are low on hard drive space.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon has a TiVo Roamio OTA with lifetime service for $299 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...VZENLJ2WXJGHACN

azurite posted:

No way to get caught? More like nobody's bothered to catch you yet.

It's pretty much impossible to get caught downloading from usenet. And short of some type of honeypot situation, there's no real way of getting caught from using filelockers. Even in a honeypot situation, they'd only have your IP address. They'd be attempting to prosecute the top tier of uploaders, not the tens of thousands downloading.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

pmchem posted:

man I wish Apple or Roku or someone would just release a box that integrated a blu-ray player into their streaming device. I'm replacing a dead 360 that was never used for gaming. So the consensus is Roku + blu-ray player, which I guess will be ~$100-$150 cheaper than buying a xbone or ps4?

Roku or anything similar have issues with comcast? Like, I know you can't stream HBO on ps4's with comcast because of a sony/comcast feud.

This Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray player is under $100 and has Amazon Prime support plus a bunch of other apps. You could give it a go and see if you need to augment it with a Roku later.

Honestly, the interface doesn't look that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WU_KP-pepA

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

pmchem posted:

yeah, I actually marked the 3500 (cheaper variant, no 3D or 4K support -- which I don't need for now) on amazon last night and may order it. See how it goes, order Roku or some kind of new xbox lite if/when needed. Cheap player so not much investment.

The S6500 has a dual core processor so you may want to keep that in mind if you're looking for it to be your streaming box (but I can't find any hard numbers so who knows how much of a performance jump it is)

quote:

A powerful Dual Core Processor ensures fast, lag-free performance. Web pages load more quickly, movies and media such as YouTube™ videos stream faster, and playback appears noticeably smoother. Even navigation is quicker and more responsive, so you can enjoy a frustration-free entertainment experience.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/bdp-s6500/specifications

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 1, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Apologys if I missed it, I only went back ~20 or so pages.. Has anyone had experience with the Roku Tv's that have recently come out? I am looking at ditching my projection(lol) tv and Dish and basically starting from scratch. I also currently have a WDTV live that's been chugging along for a few years, which is real easy for just connecting to a network share and playing video. It also does Netflix( I have a sub for this), hulu, and a couple other services, but its interface is slow and ive gotten way more than the $50 or so I paid for it (...)

edit: this is not about the Roku streaming sticks or set top boxes, but rather smart Tvs that have Roku Tv as their OS/application

I have a Sharp 43" Roku TV. It's pretty good. The entire interface has been Roku'ed out and simplified. The remote is the same old Roku remote. Inputs show up in the same list as the apps. OTA has a channel list to browse. There's a Roku Media Player that can play content off of USB or access upnp shares. It's ungodly slow when pulling up my giant Kodi upnp share (~2000 titles) and the interface leaves alot to be desired but it works in a pinch. No issues with playback beyond DTS support (you have to pass the audio out through a receiver if you want to play titles with DTS audio)

The interface is very snappy. Apps run well. Alot of people mention having the hardware built in as a negative but, considering they're relatively cheap, you could always get another device somewhere down the line if the apps gets too slow. I can't imagine the actual TV interface slowing down regardless of how they update it.

- edit Search is universal but it isn't perfect. Some examples. I search for The Affair from Showtime, it shows Season 1 as available from Vudu/Amazon/Google Play and Season 2 from Amazon/Vudu but it doesn't mention Showtime. The Affair from 2001 shows up as available from TubiTV for free. An Affair to Remember shows up from Amazon Prime (free with subscription), Netflix (free w/ sub), Fandango Now ($2.99 rent), Vudu ($2.99 rent), Encore Play (Free w/ sub), Google Play ($2.99 rent) and CinemaNow (buy $14.99)

It also informs you if if the movie available in HD.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 20, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Has anybody tried splitting a Sling TV account with friends? Now that they have a tier that can be accessed on three devices at a time, I wouldn't mind signing back up if I could get the price down to $8.33 a month.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

flosofl posted:

I haven't heard about anything outside of sports except for the Golden Globes, but no streaming service had that. I know Vue occasionally has some prime time Science Channel shows blocked, but if you flag the show for DVR you can watch it after the airing is done, so :shrug:

Sling had the same issue.

quote:

Sling TV recently added A&E, Lifetime, and LMN networks to its lineup, but subscribers aren't exactly getting these channels in full.

Certain shows on both of these channels are effectively blacked out, with a “Restricted Content” message appearing in the channel guide.”Due to rights restrictions, this content cannot be streamed on Sling TV,” says the description for these shows.

Sling's channel guide doesn't tell viewers what they're missing, but cross-referencing with A&E's schedule shows that some—but not all—episodes of Criminal Minds are restricted. TV Guide listings show that Lifetime is restricting the made-for-TV movie Kept Woman on Saturday evening. LMN is restricting certain movies and episodes of Intervention.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2903140/sling-tvs-newest-channels-arrive-with-restricted-content.html

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 12, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Worth mentioning that the new HDHomeRun app has launched for the Fire TV.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSBCRDY

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Annual Prophet posted:

Ahh Ok. Many thanks for the heads up about Prime - that's a key item for me, so I guess I'm back to thinking about the Fire despite the lack of HDR / UV.

If you want HDR, I'd wait. There's been rumors of a new Amazon box that can do that (but ignore this guy when he says it's a replacement for the Fire TV Stick)

http://www.aftvnews.com/exclusive-amazon-to-release-new-mid-tier-fire-tv-model-with-4k-hdr-and-android-7/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is from awhile back but Roku makes alot of their money by selling user information. They can already track everything you watch within an app (with no way to opt out) and are rolling out fun stuff like ACR on their smart TVs where they can analyse (and sell) every facet of your TV viewing experience (including OTA use, cable box use and any device you plug into HDMI)

Roku's CEO posted:

Because, for us, hardware is not a business, it’s a way to acquire active accounts. Our business is advertising and content distribution services.

A big part of the advertising platform is tracking what users are watching to compile and analyze that data for targeted ads and content recommendations.

It’s super important. The future of TV—both with content distribution and advertising—is based on data and machine learning. And it’s a huge competitive advantage to be good at that.

I just want to clarify that the ACR [Automatic Content Recognition] program is opt-in for our customers. We don’t just force it on them, although it has a very high opt-in rate because we have some very cool features that they get access to that are powered by that data. One of those features is called "More Ways to Watch." If you opt in to the ACR data feed—let’s say you’re watching The Big Bang Theory on CBS—it will pop up with an overlay and say "Hey, you’re watching The Big Bang Theory, do you want to watch it from the beginning?" Because it’s available on CBS All Access and also you can watch all of the back episodes, so it gives them more ways to watch that TV show. There are lots of privacy issues around data that we have to be careful about, but it really delivers a much better end-user experience.

http://fortune.com/2017/05/27/roku-ceo-anthony-wood-streaming/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 9, 2017