Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Burden posted:

While I haven't had cable in years. I just have Xfinity for internet only and it has been solid. I get the speeds I pay for (200 Down, 10 Up), and it has been solid.

How much do they charge for that out of interest, and I presume you still have the 1tb cap?

I've never gone over the limit, but know you can do it twice in a 12 month period without repercussion. When I do go over, boy am I gonna make it worth my while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Croatoan posted:

So I thought about switching from DSL to ugh Xfinity. My issue is they have a 1TB cap in my area. I have 2 kids and we can stream a TON so I don't know if that's feasible. What kinds of numbers do you guys hit? I hate Comcast but $59/month for 150Mbps sure beats my current $80 for24Mbps

I moved and they set up a new contract (because, of course they did) so I've lost all my data but I think 500gb is my highest and I stream a ton from my Plex box that's remote (usually locked to 3-4mbit or so 720p).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Burden posted:

I pay 60 a month, it goes up to 75 after the 1 year promo is over. I just moved so I got a new customer discount. I also purchased my own modem so I'm not paying them for that. I do have the 1tb cap, but I doubt I alone can go over 1tb even with all the streaming, gaming, and downloading I do. I also share my Plex server with about 20 people and so far this month I have used 337 gigs and my month ends on the 30th.

Ah that's not too bad. We pay about $100 for one of the lower tier channel packages and the 75mbit (that I get about 90mbit) on. The channel choice is OK if nothing special (I need my local Fox Sports as the hockey coverage is excellent, and we get that) but the X1 system is generally very good and has kind of kept me on board as a TV customer. Maybe that'll change when our contract is up for renewal.

TheScott2K posted:

And as an Extend owner, the transcoding isn't great. Phone-watchable, but if you're planning on depending on it to get the signal to your TV, you're much better off investing in a client that can deal with MPEG2.

drat, that's a shame. I was considering an Extend for bedroom TV purposes as my network is N band for wifi and my bedroom set won't have any wired connectivity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh, well that's something then. On HDHomeRuns site they say AC for the Prime and the Connect, and N for the Extend. Maybe it's just a way to sell more Extends than Connects, or to at least cut out people on N band who actually get about 10% of the throughput.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I have an ASUS RT66U or whatever and get 450mbit throughput (allegedly) and no issues with UHD on those services. I'll have to test I get that kind of speed in the bedroom when it's all set up but hopefully that's a few $ saved. Unless I go the cablecard version route, which just sounds like a damned headache...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They're pretty decent. When I moved country I ended up getting one off Craigslist for cheap as the one from home always worked well. Don't have any AC hardware so all is good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I put on Colbert as there was a guest on I wanted to see, and I timed the commercials as it seemed insane. In 14 minutes of airtime, there was just under 2 minutes of actual content.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CygnusTM posted:

The YouTube client on AppleTV sucks. If YouTube is important to you, go with Roku or FireTV.

Edit: I was thinking you said Tivo, not Roku. I've never had problems with the YouTube client on my Roku 3.

What's so bad about it in your opinion? I use it loads, and while there's a few things I'd change, it's never felt that bad. I used to have a version with extra features that disappeared which was a shame, had the ability to manage playlists and things, not sure what happened there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CygnusTM posted:

The dealbreaker for me is that there is no way to tell it to refresh its lists.

Yeah if I was to have listed the little things that bugged me, that would've been high on the list. At least you can double tap Home, close, and relaunch it quickly enough but it shouldn't need that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Luceo posted:

As for the NFL, you can get GamePass even in the US by using a DNS provider such as AdFreeTime or unblock.us. That'll also get you around blackouts with the NBA.

There's a new provider for gamepass this year, so this isn't guaranteed to work at the moment. Need to wait and see.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bull: I presume this Roku issue happens on your 2016 LG OLED, and therefore likely to be the same ok my 2015, then? Might cross it off the 'possible purchase' list if so as it'll eventually run through a receiver.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like WebOS too, but don't really use it that often (except for 4K stuff) simply because one day it could just break and won't ever be fixed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

For me, it will always be my first choice when watching something as it's the no bullshit solution to get correct frame cadence from streaming services.

If Google/Roku/Amazon ever got their heads out of their asses about supporting 24hz output, I wouldn't care.

I would be perfectly happy using Chromecast for everything if it had a native frame rate option. The video quality and streaming stability out of the Chromecast Ultra is about the best I've ever seen from any device. It's just locked in stupid 60p (except for DV output.)

Do none of those boxes do 24p over 60i? That's pretty odd.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's amazing how nobody can make a box that just ticks all the boxes in 2017. It's a huge market and everyone manages to balls it up somehow.

I wish the LG screens just pulledown 60p>24p with no issue, but it also doesn't feel like asking the earth to have native 24p on a box when it's been in bluray players for years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I really wonder how big the market is. Your average person isn't going out and buying a streaming box for their new TV since they all come with stuff built-in anyway.

Until a year or two in when the app on the tv breaks. Or it was a pain in the rear end to use anyway. Rokus and Chromecasts obviously sell enough that there's a dozen variants and you can get them from tons of places.

FCKGW posted:

There's plenty of boxes that tick all the boxes for 90% of consumers, like "has Netflix and Hulu" but don't fit the million edge cases that get you guys bitching and moaning.

Pretty much all people are asking is 'hey take this file and just loving play it as is. Don't gently caress with the audio and don't gently caress with the frame rate', not a magical box that cooks you breakfast and blows you too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The same ones that are industry standard?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

It's not even just LG that's failing at this now. Even the high end Sony TVs have stopped doing reverse telecine properly with the current firmware.

I've found dejudder of 1 comes very close to matching correct 24fps cadence without introducing SOE, but I can't use it on animation as the artifacts are too severe.

That's a shame, the Sony screens were supposed to be the best for this specific thing

Yeah, I've just found settings that work as best as possible for the majority of my watching. I know everything will go through a receiver soon which essentially kills different modes depending on input, so have to just learn to live with any issues. I'm way beyond the nitpicking part of ownership anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

All the way from cents into low dollars!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah my rule of thumb always used to be around 29 mins for a BBC half hour, 25 for a UK commercial tv half hour, and 22 for a US one. Always Sunny has some frighteningly short episodes too as well from memory.

I once put Colbert on to catch a guest I wanted to see, and in one 13 minute timeslot there was literally 2 minutes of content. It was insane.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Due to NTSC > PAL conversion, US shows shown in Europe/Australia have the same level of discomfort. Malcom in the Middle was always really evident, due to the kids having already high pitched voices.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of DTV, I saw an ad on Twitter for Sunday Ticket the other day saying you can now get it without full service, just enter your address here. Well surprise surprise it's not available in my area, so curious as to whether anyone else has seen it and been told they can have it. They said it was like $100 for the season which is quite appealing as the non-US Gamepass is being done by other people this year so who knows if a dns patch is enough to get it here now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that's a shame. I should try with my old condo address that I might still have a card registered to for billing...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I just went to the site and say 70/mo too. Maybe I misread the original ad, or it's only under specific circumstances. I'll keep my eye for it again because that's too much money to watch my bad team lose that much. I think I paid $150 for Gamepass and my friend split that with me anyway, and Gp is supposed to be better than Ticket.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's what I like to hear! I cancelled my renewal just in case it wouldn't work, and I didn't really want to mess with VPNs as it's a pain on STBs. Fingers crossed they don't turn something on on week 1. They'd be stupid to, as doing 'just enough' to protect local rights while taking Americans money who know the score has worked well for years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The one thing I kept in my Amazon cart before dumping everything else for batteries and flashlights before the hurricane hit was a TV antenna. Boy was that a good idea!

Not used one of these leaf style ones before, but it's the first time I've had genuinely great results with indoor pickup anywhere, and all the HD channels are coming in clean and probably look better than the cable versions.

This was originally going to be for the guest bedroom as I'm not gonna pay Comcast $10 a month for a box nobody will really use, but I think I'll probably end up keeping it for failover and get another one ordered.

God bless OTA and the crazy amount of Spanish channels we receive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So is there anything the new ultra won't do that could be reasonably expected of a 4K HDR device? Does it cover all the sound formats? Considering one for Plex and relegating my Apple TV 4 to the bedroom.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That sounds promising. There's enough oddness about the ATV 4K that I'm put off by it. I do like the Plex app on it more than the other systems, but I think it won't be long until it matches anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah there's quite a bit of discussion about it in the Blu Ray Deals thread in Coupons. Experiences vary, mine is 'utterly broken'.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

That sucks, mine went smoothly and I have about 190 movies in all 4 services now.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue is but it seems to be on MA side. I joined as a Facebook person out of laziness, maybe it was that. But each of the 3 services I have (I don't have a Vudu account) gave error messages with no usefulness to them but still marked as connected. So I got my movies, but they don't appear anywhere else from what I've seen. No massive deal, but thought I'd give it a spin. It'll sort itself out I'm sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just read about that, I wonder if they’ll include it (or a lesser charge) if you do have cable tv with them. Having my channels on my Apple TV if they expand the app would be neat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I want to pick up a good array of channels from roughly this position (it's not my exact address), a decent directional antenna in my roof pointing SW should be enough, and just ignore whatevers north for the most part?

I have one of those indoor flat things at the moment and reception isn't great, so I'd like to boost it up. It was a savior during the hurricane and our cable was out for a while and we wanted to keep up with the news.

https://www.antennaweb.org/Stations...ude=-80.1470482

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Awesome, thanks. I have a little booster that came with my internal antenna but I’m just gonna presume it’s crap. Can sort it out in stages though at least!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Proteus Jones posted:

My dad got one of these to put in his attic. He's picking up stations from both Raleigh and Chapel Hill which are close to 100 degrees different from where he lives. He runs it into an HD Home run and it works great. He lined them up with TVFool and the compass app on the iPhone.

https://www.amazon.com/Element-Bowtie-Indoor-Outdoor-Antenna/dp/B00C4XVOOC/

Here's a cheaper alternative, that has slightly lower ratings.

https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Signal-HDB8X-NI-Bowtie-Antenna/dp/B00CXQO00K/

Thanks for the recs!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pluto seems a pretty fun service, if I didn't already have 10 billion things to watch I'd probably look through it all the time. If I was stuck with nothing else, I'm sure I'd still be entertained a ton.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Could also be some kind of interference issue perhaps? I used to have an odd setup where my receiver wouldn’t respond to the remote for about 10 minutes when I’d first fire it up after coming in as it turns out the lights in the room must’ve been causing some problems when they were warming up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

They need to realize that we're at peak TV and there's enough content out there to fill someone's schedule easily so if you make a show hard and expensive to catch up on, people will just not stay current with it.

It's good to know the studios still look at how easy it is to download a pirate TV episode that'll be available minutes after the show ends and think "We definitely don't need to do anything to provide an alternative to this".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah there are some solutions, but it’s all depending on what client hardware you’re using and sometimes you have to have it set up prior to losing internet connection. It’s a real shithouse.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah my parents use them, build quality isn’t always the best so make sure you read reviews to check they don’t have issues with interference (microwaves are real good at messing with them, but the 5.8ghz ones don’t suffer from that iirc) and you should be fine. Not usually super expensive, and better than the old scart ones they had from memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

nate fisher posted:

It is just at that price a month + Comcast internet I might as well go back to cable.

It’s a shame this is too long to be the thread title.