Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Since Zorak wants more threads, I will duely oblige. The concept for this thread is taken from regular threads of a similar nature on A Board Which Must Not Be Named that are usually pretty interesting and informative. So let's try and get something similar going here.

Hunter X Hunter

Tonnura-san

Advance of Titans

Arachnid

This thread is more of a trial-type thing atm since I'm fully aware its theme skirts awfully closely with the sort of "post cool pics of anime/manga poo poo" type threads that have been frowned on before. Remember that the idea behind this thread is convincing someone else to read a manga you really like by posting something that's likely to hook them in and want to find out more. Try to refrain from just posting a funny joke from the latest chapter of whatever shonen tripe you read. We'll see how the thread goes and if Zorak doesn't like it he'll nuke it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltermelon
Feb 28, 2011
This just has to be posted:
Vinland Saga

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Igyounin Oniwakamaru

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Berserk

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I really liked Hotel, even though it has some strangeness you have to forgive first

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Kongou Banchou:

(It got resized, but yeah, that's a 4-page spread)

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Beelzebub

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp

Toriko

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
That makes me want to re-read it right now, god I love that manga.

The Town of Evening Calm, The Country of Cherry Blossoms

Set in Hiroshima ten years after the bombing.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
There's hardly a panel of MUDAZUMO NAKI KAIKAKU that isn't absolutely golden!

Hitler preparing to take on Pope Benedict in a game of Mahjong... Right after George Bush played through a game with Colin Powell as his second against Nazis.

If none of that inspires you to read this manga then what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Nihei's Big Three:

Blame!

Biomega

Sidonia no Kishi (Knights of Sidonia)

Also how are you guys getting imgur to make reasonable thumbnails? All I get is the above large link or a tiny tiny square.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 18, 2012

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Pierson posted:

Biomega

Blame!

Also how are you guys getting imgur to make reasonable thumbnails? All I get is the above large link or a tiny tiny square.

Use [timg] tags instead of [img] tags.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
poo poo, I was going to post Blame but Pierson beat me to it. :argh:

Homunculus

I Am a Hero

Parasyte

Otoyomegatari

Ressentiment

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ichi The Killer

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pierson posted:

As already mentioned using "timg" tags will make the green-bordered, expandable images.

There's another way that takes a tiny bit more work but shows off some of the new features of the forums though!

If you take an imgur hosted image, put it in it's own tab and insert a small "L" (or M or S) right before the dot before the file extension, and then paste that into the reply window, the forums automatically will make that a Large (or Medium or Small) thumbnail with a link to the full size image. That's what I used in my post if I'm not doing a good job of describing what I mean.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 18, 2012

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
I couldn't settle on a single best scene for any of these, so I figured I'd just pick a scene from the earlier chapters only, off we go:

Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School. The first of two manhwa, it is absolutely fantastic, and I suspect that not enough people have gotten to read it.

Tower of God. The second manhwa! This is from the end of the 2nd chapter, chosen because it's probably the page that made me decide to keep reading.

Akame ga KILL! There's quite a lot of killing. I only discovered it recently, but it's a lot of fun to read.

If you decide to pick up a manhwa, they're read from left to right. Though the vertical strip layout usually makes the flow pretty obvious.

e: Learned about the timg tag. Thanks ^.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 18, 2012

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

American Folk Hero
Oct 21, 2010
Shamo

This is a neat idea, actually. There's no better way to hook people into a manga than to present to them the distilled essence of that manga in one concise image; an image so bizarre or awe-spiring that they have no choice but to go :wtc: and then proceed to go read that manga immediately. More effective than a boring overview, I think.

Take that Vinland Saga image posted earlier. It is an absolutely iconic image and the raw embodiment of :black101:. You could tell someone interested in reading Vinland Saga, "Oh, it's a manga about vikings doing awesome poo poo." They might take your word for it, or they might not. Show them that panel, though, and they have no choice but to indulge their curiosity. THAT is vikings doing awesome poo poo; no context or additional information is needed.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

cisneros posted:

Kongou Banchou:

How can you use this image, and not this?

A pretty good representation of this RIDICULOUS series. You read the first chapter, you see THIS and you know exactly what kind of manga this is going to be.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I just want you all to know that I hate you, all of you, on a personal level and I hate this thread with all the hate I can muster.

So many awesome looking and sounding series. I guess it's a good thing I'm unemployed, I'll have plenty of time to read up on all these. Teach me to complain about not having enough new manga to read, too.

Edit: Reading my own words, I sound way less light-hearted than I meant that. Seriously though, this is a great idea for a thread and I've picked up a lot of great things to read.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 18, 2012

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

cisneros posted:

Kongou Banchou:

Oh god, there's a Banchou Hulk now!?

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Teppu

Loner sadistic jerk protagonist: the best protagonist.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Okay, let me try a few here.

Gangsta

Ichi

Young Gun Carnaval

Keep in mind that all three of these tilt closer to seinen than shonen on the scale of things, but I think you'll enjoy them anyways.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The Voynich Hotel

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog
Doesn't do the artwork justice, honestly, but the feeling is right

Takemitsu Zamurai

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Aiki

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Hana no Keiji

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Soul Eater

The art starts off kinda lovely, but you can either watch the anime to a certain point or just enjoy the lovely, but neatly stylized art.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 18, 2012

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pierson posted:

Nihei's Big Three:

Blame!

Biomega

Sidonia no Kishi (Knights of Sidonia)

Every loving time I see this poo poo I want to read them so badly and then I see the stupid down syndrome crossed eyes he draws and a grieve for an artist of immeasurable talent that can't put loving circles in the right place.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

National Quiz

Rookies

Jackals

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

That is hilarious. Are they playing this straight?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Genocyber posted:

Ichi The Killer

I'm going to have to counter your post with this:
http://i.imgur.com/H7rw9.jpg :nws: :nms:

This kind of poo poo happens many times, without a hint of irony. This manga is awful and I hope this image cautions people against reading it.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
To contribute: Shin Angyo Onshi

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Law Cheetah posted:

That is hilarious. Are they playing this straight?

This manga constantly gives you an incredible build-up of a villain, making him all powerful and god-like, and when he finally meets the main hero, the villain gets knocked out in one punch, or a kick to the balls. And he just lays there while the main hero takes off his pants and pisses on him (pissing parts happens more than I would like though).

And the way they meet is nothing like the usual manga approach, where the villain and hero set a time and place. It's like they accidentally bump shoulders in the street, and the guy turns around like "what the gently caress are you looking at?", and gets knocked out in one punch.

Realism fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 19, 2012

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Franken Fran

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Gunka no Baltzar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
There are about a billion potential awesome shots from this manga, but I went with part of one of the early chapter pages because it distills the focus of the manga perfectly.

RRR aka Rock'n'Roll Ricky aka The Best Boxing Manga Ever. Even better? The series is completed so you can go marathon it right now.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 19, 2012

• Locked thread