Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I'm a bit confused about how to install a version of the SDK compatible with Appcelerator. It asks for 2.2, but all I can see in my SDK manager is this:

Anyone know what's going on here? I'm more-or-less a newbie to all this...

Edit: Nevermind, fixed - I did "Packages => Reload" and a whole lot more packages showed up. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I wonder if anyone here can offer some general advice. I'm not particularly new to programming in general, but I'm fairly new to Android and basically virginal when it comes to game development. I'm mostly able to get through tutorials and understand generally what's going on programmatically, but my lack of understanding concerning graphical terminology is making me uncomfortable as I feel like I'm just repeating what I'm reading without understanding what I'm actually doing.

For the sake of example, take this example code which implements a TMX tiled map. https://code.google.com/p/andengineexamples/source/browse/src/org/anddev/andengine/examples/TMXTiledMapExample.java

I'm able to read through that and understand what it's doing, but then I see lines like this:

code:
final TMXLoader tmxLoader = new TMXLoader(this, this.mEngine.getTextureManager(), TextureOptions.BILINEAR_PREMULTIPLYALPHA, new ITMXTilePropertiesListener() {
And I realise that even though I know what that's doing (creating a TMXLoader so it can then be used to load the TMX map asset) I have no idea at all what "BILINEAR_PREMULTIPLYALPHA" means beyond understanding that it has something to do with how the textures are displayed. What I mean is, if I was writing my own code, I would have no idea what mode I should use and why.

Basically I'm wondering if anyone knows of any books, tutorials, web sites etc that cover this kind of topic - graphics in games - at a reasonably abstract, language agnostic level?