Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Hey Android peeps.

I'm unclear on this.

When I'm working with, say, a Canvas, are there any device-independent pixel density (like iOS does for retina displays) or is everything in actual pixels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is it possible to scale a view in Android? If so, how?

For those of you familiar with iOS, I'm asking about something similiar to self.layer.transform = [3d matrix], although just a 2D transform will be sufficient.

I googled around, and a few people asked this question only to get "Did you try just setting the width/height?" which is NOT what I'm looking for.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Any recommendations on a cheap device for Android app testing? Cell service is not needed.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
If I have, say, a game in Xamarin, is this the right way to get the location to store saves etc?

code:
Android.OS.Environment.GetExternalStoragePublicDirectory(Android.OS.Environment.DirectoryDocuments).Path
Do I need any special permissions for that?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Edit: nevermind

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Okay actual question.

For those of you doing active Android projects here, I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for places that will test your app on a variety of devices at a reasonable price?