Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

duck monster posted:

Does android support in-app purchases. Got a client who wants to know.

http://developer.android.com/guide/market/billing/billing_overview.html

Anyways, is there anyway to still use OpenFeint? I know it was bought out, but I can't find any tutorials or anything for GREE, and there seemed to be tons of info on OpenFeint.

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
I am trying to figure out ActionBarSherlock for an app I am working on. I am currently trying to add a button that opens a new activity, I tried following the Action Provider sample, but I seem to be stuck on the intent. The sample opens the phone settings menu, and I have been struggling to try and modify it to open my activity. My code so far can be seen here: http://pastebin.com/cc4pN6qF

If I leave it how it is, it displays the icon and opens the phone settings perfectly. If I try to move the intent after the constructor and change the intent to Intent(mContext, AddPilot.class) it doesn't show the icon, but it says "Add Pilot" which is the title I assigned to it, however it doesn't open the new activity it displays the toast "Handling in onOptionsItemSelected avoided." Maybe I am following the wrong sample, I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Geekner posted:

Any reason you're using an ActionProvider over a simple menu item? Are you familiar with how ICS actionbar or pre-ICS menus work?

Glimm, you should add a link to Awful for Android's source to the OP. It's a good example of a modern Actionbar(sherlock) based app with tablet functionality.

I'm not familiar with actionbars at all. I was looking through the ABS Demos app and ActionProvider seemed to be relevant, but I have figured out a solution now based on the Android ActionBar examples.

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 23, 2012

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Hey, I have a question about certificates. I am trying to parse some xml, but the site I read it from is HTTPS, so when I try to run it on the emulator I get an error saying, "Not trusted server certificate." Do I need to get their certificate and install it on users devices or what?

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Most people just can't upgrade their devices to newer versions. The manufactuers haven't released updates for their devices. Like...Google just came out with Android 4.1. The great majority of devices on the market today will never even have the option of getting that update.

Also, I wonder if people who can upgrade even know. I just found out my Droid RAZR has an update from 2.3.6 to 4.0.4 that has been available for over a week know and my phone never notified me. The only reason I knew was because I just randomly checked for an update, which is something I know most people probably never do.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
I seem to have run into a problem. I am parsing XML data from a website, which runs fine, however when I try to split the resulting info into strings using a delimiter I run into problems. The result I am trying to parse is "2012-07-05 22:26:15|Iska Delmen|1512154763|GoonWaffe|667531913", so I set the delimiter to "|" and try to pull each part using a scanner with .next(), .next(), .nextInt(), .next(), .nextInt(). What I get when I try to print them out is 2, 0, 1, 2 and then it crashes because "-" isn't an integer. So, am I using delimiters wrong or what, because I cannot figure out why it is doing that.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Using the following image I want to be able to overlay other images onto the slots in the upper-half of the image (and eventually the lower-half). I was thinking maybe a GridLayout, but I'm not sure if it's the best option since I'm not real experienced with android.

Currently, I just have the image set as the background, but I can change that if needed.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Is there any good libraries or guides at this point for handling turn-based games?

I have been kicking around a concept for a game that would have ~12 rounds, but a different person plays each round and at the end everyone can see the results.

I saw the google play articles here, but it seems it's limited to 8 players and requires a Google+ account which seems problematic since I'll probably want to expand to iOS at some point. It also seems to be built around getting all the players matched before it let's anyone start which may also cause issues.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
OK, I'm working on a little game in my free time. On one activity most of the screen is used to display an image and the user is asked to describe it. When they go to type the keyboard takes up about half the screen pushing the rest of the image up the screen. Obviously on tablets there is enough real estate that a solution should be easy to make with fragments and what not, but I'm not sure of an elegant solution for phone sized screens.

Has anyone else had to deal with this and have any pointers or seen an app that deals with it elegantly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
I'm working on an audio player app, because the few I have used in the past were slowly becoming buggy or have annoying "features".
Anyway, what would be the best way to manage the MediaPlayer object? I was tempted at first to use a singleton, but my research seems to suggest that it would be a bad idea to do so for various reasons. Any tips would be appreciated.

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 26, 2015