Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AntiWiggin
Mar 8, 2009

5436 posted:

Which IDE do people generally prefer? Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA?

I loving love IntelliJ IDEA. 12.0 added some much needed features in terms of matching the development capabilities of Eclipse. But it's still missing a few components which make it a deal breaker for me (at my job at least).

1. IntelliJ 12.0 doesn't support certain Lint warnings. For example, if you call a method that was added in one of the newer API's, say API level 14, but you're minSDK
is API level 8, your poo poo will just break on older devices, all without any warnings from IntelliJ. This is the main reason I still use Eclipse.

2. Less importantly, the XML formatting in IntelliJ is balls compared to Eclipse. This can be considered nitpicking but IntelliJ still doesn't support the "official" XML formatting and ordering style for attributes. I guess a lot of people could't give a poo poo but my job is big on maintaining a uniform formatting style. Being able to auto-format with Eclipse is a huge time saver in that regard.

Fortunately for me, both of these features are coming in 12.1. I can't loving wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU