Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Safe and Secure! posted:

One of my friends is not a technical person at all and had no idea that her phone had the option to update OTA from Froyo to Gingerbread. She didn't even know what Froyo or Gingerbread were. It's an ATT Samsung Infuse, some weird Galaxy S II thing with half the CPU cores and half the RAM, so it's not incredibly ancient.

I would surprise if more than the small amount of people willing to stick to Nexus phones for software actually knew anything about their phone OSes other than "it's an Android".

When I was first looking into getting a Droid, I was talking to a friend who I only knew over the internet, asked her if she had a smart phone and she had no idea (later I found out she did indeed have some kind of Droid). Just ordered my first smartphone and I can't wait to get out of work today and actually look at droid development now that it's relevant to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone know of any good books for writing Android apps, particularly for a Java newbie? I've had about one semester of Java, but all we wrote was console apps in it. It was more of a theory class for data structures & algorithm analysis so it didn't focus a whole lot on the language itself.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mugrim posted:

I did some VERY minor programming in high school (C++ class for like a year), would it be absolutely insane to try and learn how to make an Android App?

I want to start Droid development soon, but I work a good amount in the day and am finishing my last semester of classes so that leaves little time for pet projects. I am however taking a Mobile Dev course this semester, which [unfortunately] only touches iOS development.

So, bearing in mind that I can't say anything about Droid for sure but even as a student with a decent education in programming I would say Objective C is ugly (though I can read it well enough because I've been coding for 4 years), andXCode (the IDE for iOS development from Apple) is not super intuitive. Maybe that's just because I'm not used to the Mac environment? So based off that, I'd say it could actually be fairly tough to jump into Droid dev if you've had very little experience. Of course, everyone learns differently and you might love Java and pick it up no problem. I am not a fan of the language and I don't like Eclipse so I guess that's also deterred me from picking up the Droid book I bought.

I dunno man, no harm in trying either way. I can say I would probably get overwhelmed though.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 27, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm bashing my head against the keyboard in my iOS class right now because I hate obj-C. Was just digging through the iOS programming thread here and I saw a "C# / .NET for iOS" framework you can buy.... Then I saw it's available for Android too. Has anyone tried it? I really want to do Droid development, but I strongly dislike Java for no good reason other than I'm unfamiliar with it and Eclipse.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I would if only I weren't considering completely abandoning my career in Android development in a couple of months. :(

As someone whose been wanting to get into it, may I ask why that is?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

edit; Fixed :downs:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 7, 2013

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So this week I'm starting some minor Droid development at work. I'm much more comfortable with C# and I'd really like to use Mono, but I wonder if it's really worth it? Having the company spend $400 for a license, trying to find C# examples of whatever I'm trying to do, etc.

I took a few Java courses in college but I didn't like it very much, never did anything sophisticated at all, just made some really bare-bone command line examples of some OO design patterns that I don't remember what so ever. Is the support for Mono big enough, or should I just tough it up and learn Java?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's similar enough, I just dislike Eclipse & Netbeans. I think I'm so skeptical because I only had 1 semester with Java as opposed to an entire year's worth of .NET between C# & ASP.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey guys, I'm looking for a particular app that doesn't quite seem to exist so I thought I'd try to make it myself. I've got a good bit of C# experience but very very little with Java and mobile development.

All I want it to do is this:

pre:
-Press button
  -Start recording a video
  -Maybe actually display the video as it records
-Pres button
  -Stop recording video
  -Upload video file to an FTP, or possibly just email it as an attachment
  -Delete the local video
It would be for personal use only so it doesn't need to be flexible (ie. change FTP / email) or pretty. How difficult would something like this be? It sounds pretty darn simple.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've considered using Xamarin but figured I should probably brush up on my Java skills because I need a new loving job. I don't think Xamarin really makes it any easier to develop ultimately. And with the free license you can build apps and test them on a virtual device but you can't actually publish them I believe. I briefly used it to emulate a barcode reader for work but never got far with it :v:

Downloaded the JDK to start playing around, as someone who doesn't know anything about Android development it seemed pretty complicated to set up a simple button that starts recording video, let alone stopping then sending the file.

Edit; Well, Looking around at Xamarin again they actually have a demo app that starts & stops the camera to record video. I'm trying to adapt it to email the file as an attachment which seems simple enough but the emulator keeps crashing so I can't very well test it. Even if it wasn't, what the hell would the camera do on a virtual device.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 10, 2013

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Heh, well, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I downloaded this sample and tried to mod it to fit my needs.

I changed the main.xml layout to have only 1 button, and then the Video View to display the camera.

It's ugly, but I'll be using it on the road so big rear end buttons are fine. By default the demo app supports taking different resolution photos or videos. So I stripped out all of the code in reference to taking photos and am left with just the video stuff.

Then let's see...

• Button.OnClickListener - calls dispatchTakeVideoIntent method
  • dispatchTakeVideoIntent simply just creates the intent to capture video and starts the activity for result
  • onAcitivityResult - calls handleCameraVideo and passes it an Intent
  • handleCameraVideo - performs a "getData()" on the intent that was passed

It looks like that's the "end" of it. There's a lot of other code but nothing that seems directly relevant. So I guess within the "onActivityResult" method (what would be the proper term for this chunk of code? In C# Id say an event handler) is where I'd just make a call to my method that would attach this video to an email, and if I can automatically send it, do so. Creating an emailing and setting attachments is simple enough, I've looked that up already.

I don't like this demo though, because it looks like when I hit the button it will simply launch the camera, then I'll need to hit Record within the camera... then stop recording within the camera to return back to this App at which point it would do the email.

I think I'll just have to go out and sit down with my Android book at some time and really crack down on all the terminology and everything.

I dicked around with Xamarin a little bit at work :ssh: but didn't have much better luck, because at the end of it all I'm still unfamiliar with the Android framework either way. Though the familiar IDE is a big plus, because I loving hate Eclipse and Netbeans.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm glad my suspicion of how it behaves was at least right!

Off to a good start following their tutorial, I think. I don't want to go to work now! :argh:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 11, 2013