Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.
I really hate how fragmented android devices are, especially amongst different companies even on the same version of android. I work on an android app for my company and we support android 2.1 and up. Most of our clients are small businesses and naturally want to buy the cheapest devices possible. This ends up with us finding bugs with crazy devices from companies I have never heard of, and it wastes a lot of my time that could be spent developing new features.

Its not always unknown devices that cause me problems though, the Samsung Galaxy Note, a very well known and popular device. Gave us a massive headache because if you decided to put a value into one input box, and then quickly move to the next, it would decide to put the entered value in the second input instead. The only way we could find to fix this was to deliberately do a deferred schedule (i.e. a timer set to 0) just after the user enter input.

On a side note, I have found on my own phone (Samsung Galaxy S II) on ICS, that when using the default mail application, you cant use a email address that contains an apostrophe. I'm pretty sure there probably an exploit there that could be abused with that, but for such an important application, on a well known device, on the most recent OS they provide, to have a simple and common escaping issue with apostrophe's is pretty embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU