Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Calm, relaxed...what could be more fulfilling?
Does anyone do Android development in VirtualBox? Is it supposed to work?

I'm having issues and don't know where to begin with troubleshooting, no idea if my issues are related to VirtualBox, my laptop's Optimus graphics, or if I've simply misconfigured something during setup. I've been following the official installation instructions from Google as much as possible.

My first guess would be this is related to VirtualBox in some way, but maybe not. I made a small proof of concept app two years ago for another project and I'm pretty sure I did all development for that in VirtualBox, though the host machine was different. I'm on Virtualbox 4.1.14, so I'm a few versions behind the current release of 4.1.18.

Host OS: Windows 7 64-bit
VirtualBox Guest OS: Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit (this is a clean snapshot with nothing installed besides the OS)

I have 8 GB of RAM, with 4 GB allocated to the guest OS.

Installed today:
Oracle JDK 1.7.0_05 64-bit
Eclipse 4.2
Android SDK r20.0.1
ia32-libs-multiarch - I don't remember why, but something wanted this.

I've gotten so far as step #5 of "Run on the Emulator" here. The emulator device I'm trying to launch is an Android 4.1 WXGA720 with default settings and no SD card. I've tried a few others and they behave the same.

I got an error with "failed to load libGL.so" when starting up my device using virtual device manager. A google search result said to install this:
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev:i386

I no longer get the error, but my device still doesn't start. The emulator window opens, there's a title bar and minimize/close buttons, but the window's client area is black, no Android logo or anything. I haven't found anything from googling that fixes it. I've read the emulator is slow to boot up the first time, but no mention of how slow. It's been sitting there for half an hour, so it must not be working. I can't close the emulator window using the X button - nothing happens. I have to kill the emulator by pid. ps shows the emulator is using almost 100% CPU, 74 MB RSS, and 1.8 GB VSZ.

The devices window in Eclipse lists my device, but shows it as offline and something is labeled as "unknown" (there are no column headings).

Is there something else I need to install? There are no other error messages that I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Calm, relaxed...what could be more fulfilling?

Moey posted:

Cannot offer any help, but why are you developing in a vm?

I don't know, really. I do most of my development in linux nowadays, and I do all of that in a vm. For the kind of work I usually do, I have to switch back and forth between different versions of libraries depending on project, so it usually makes things easier being able to save state at any time or roll back. It looks like that won't be the case for Android development, at least the way I was attempting to do it.

Isn't linux the preferred platform for Android development? I'll probably end up dual booting if so.