Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

New stuff for devs:

On-device app encyrption.
Smart app updates that only send out the part of the apps that have changed.
Google Cloud Messaging which is C2DM on steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone used or have any comments about Crittercism? Looks like something along the lines of BugSense, but with more features.

What has my interest piqued is that the feature list mention an in-app support forum for your apps...which sounds like a cool idea.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Scaevolus posted:

They say it makes the average update 1/3 as large, but hopefully it's better for big apps where most updates are minor code changes.

Yeah, that seems likely.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

duck monster posted:

This, by the way, is why we have so much trouble at work with android compared to IOS. For whatever reason (I suspect its the demographics of IOS buyers, as well as apples tighter control over the software delivery chain)

Most people just can't upgrade their devices to newer versions. The manufactuers haven't released updates for their devices. Like...Google just came out with Android 4.1. The great majority of devices on the market today will never even have the option of getting that update.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

UraniumAnchor posted:

I need to write something that sends a Notification at some point in the future. Might be a few minutes, might be a few hours. It does NOT need to persist through a device reset, but it needs to persist even if the app gets closed and/or loses focus. Nothing fancy, just a text reminder.

Is there something built-in or something I can go grab that will do this, or am I better off just writing a simple Service myself to handle it?

Use these three things:

AlarmManager
PendingIntent
BroadcastReceiver

Basically you'll set an alarm with AlarmManager. You'll set that alarm with a broadcast PendingIntent pointed at your BroadcastReceiver class. When the alarm fires it will run the BroadcastReceiver and in that class you can display your Notification.

Hooray!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mugrim posted:

I did some VERY minor programming in high school (C++ class for like a year), would it be absolutely insane to try and learn how to make an Android App?

You'll probably want to read a Java book first, but it's certainly possible.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

This thread doesn't see much activity... is Android that bad to work on or what?

Somewhat related, going to start trying my hand at Android development, is Eclipse + the Plugin the prefered way or is there an IntelliJ equivilent? I use Resharper at work and absolutely love it so I feel comfortable just jumping in and buying it, JetBrains does good work. Not really a point though if it's going to be a huge hassle to work on Android stuff in IntelliJ though.

Android development isn't wonderful by any means, but I don't think it has anything to do with the activity level in this thread. I mean, it's apparent that Android development is wide-spread, I think its just that there's better resources for getting help a lot of the time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Glimm posted:

I should probably update the OP more often as it seems like useful Android libraries are popping up every week.

That would be something I'd like to see more posts about. I always miss out on new libraries until they've been out for 2 years or something.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Well hot drat. This makes me want to write an app or two. I wish I didn't have a ton of projects going on already.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Awesome and accurate-ish. I don't do Android for a living, but I think I've touched all of those problems at least once.

I mostly solve the Android headaches by not caring about anyone not running a new Nexus device!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Geekner posted:

Yup, just ran into something weird with how the newest RAZR handles Cursors in Awful.apk, it's auto-closing them while they are still in use. It's causing constant crashes for one specific phone model. We handle cursors using the newest API and have zero issues with that code on every other phone out there.

gently caress that poo poo.

The worst part of this is that you just know there's almost zero chance of a fix. I mean, you can kind of hope that a phone will get one update...ever. But, the chances of low-level stuff like this getting fixed in that one update are low.

The one manufacturer issue that still irritates me to this day is that on several (most?) (all?) Motorola phones, the location provider just doesn't report an accuracy figure. It's always zero. Grr.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Building a mental model of exactly what is happening at any given point is really loving difficult because the activity lifecycle is awful, and it gets worse when you mix in Fragments. PROTIP: attaching and detaching your fragments doesn't necessarily correspond to onAttach and onDetach.

Yes to this!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Gnack posted:

Basically I'm wondering if anyone knows of any books, tutorials, web sites etc that cover this kind of topic - graphics in games - at a reasonably abstract, language agnostic level?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692947

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Google just announced Android Studio, which is an Android IDE based on IntelliJ.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

jkyuusai posted:

Oh my god this android studio demo is amazing.

Yes it is. I also like how they're using the best Jetbrains theme: Darkula.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

jkyuusai posted:

Hmm how will this affect intellij's monetization? I assume Google isn't going to charge for AS.

Intellij Community Edition is free.

In other news you can now do beta testing and staged rollouts via the developer console.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I haven't touched Android development in a year or so, but I have to say this IO has made me want to pick it up again. A little bit.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I haven't done any Android development in like 18 months or something, but my grandma(!!) has been pestering me for a bible(!!!) app with easier/faster navigation than what she can find on the Play store.

I don't know the keywords to describe the library I'm looking for, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm wanting a vertical scrollbar that pops up a tooltip to the left or right as you drag the bar up and down describing where the view will jump to when you let go of the bar. So, for example, if she's looking in the book of Matthew, when she starts scrolling on the right of the screen, it pops a tooltip-ish thing to the left of the scrollbar showing which book she will jump to when she lets go.

The scrollbar won't necessarily be connected to the text in the view as I might have each book or chapter or something be separate.

So, anyway, are there any libraries like that?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tunga posted:

This reply is kind of late and I'm only just learning Android so I might be off here.

I think what you want is Index Scrolling as shown on the Android Developers site? Except you don't want alphabetical sections, you want section names. But actually that's just a less specific example of the same thing (note how the Contacts app has "Me" at the top.

As far as I can work out you need to set fastScrollEnabled to true on your ListView and then implement SectionIndexer .

Yes, this is it! Thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It's been 3 years since I dabbled around with Android development, and I'm thinking about jumping back in to a REST CRUD app.

Any cool useful libraries I should check out for that sort of app that aren't mentioned in the OP? (or just cool libraries in general)

I see Android Studio is A Thing now. Should I just use that?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm looking at various option for designing the architecture for the app I just mentioned I was going to start work on.

I found this post describing a way of architecting an MVC REST app.

Any other resources like that anyone can recommend? Web or book would be great.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

PiCroft posted:

Does anyone else struggle with Android tools? I've done both iOS and Android, and I coped well with both but by far the worst thing I've experienced in my career as a software developer is android tools. All the IDEs for android that I've tried, including Eclipse and Android Studio are a nightmare to get working with a mature project and getting a project with multiple modules working with Gradle was a headache. Does anyone else struggle with the tools as much as I do, or is it just me?

I haven't done android in years. Glad to hear the tools are still poo poo.

I keep thinking about starting back into it and then I remember dealing with all the stuff outside of actually writing code and I just give up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Libraries are one of the best parts about programming! Implement cool, well-tested functionality without all the work of doing it yourself.

Go forth and use all the libraries.

(replace work of implementing functionality with work of finding appropriate library)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hooah posted:

But the second way creates a new object every time, right? Is the language ease worth the overhead in this case?

Generally the answer to these sorts of questions is: don't worry about it unless it becomes a problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Glimm posted:

React Native for Android is now available:

http://facebook.github.io/react-native/

Time to re-write all of our apps??

I'm excited to get back into Android dev with this.

React for the web is fantastic.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Karthe posted:

I read recently that JSX isn't required to work with React, but how recommended is it? I've kinda ignored React because I didn't want to bother learning "something-like-Javascript-but-not-quite" but now that I know I can use plain vanilla Javascript, and now that React Native is out, I'm considering playing around with it.

Either way is completely supported...at least on web. I haven't looked at React Native yet.

edit: I finally got around to looking at it and...only OS X is supported. :/

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 15, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I just pay for the cheap Github plan (i think $7/month) for private repos. I like Github over the alternatives enough and it's convenient to have access to my repos wherever along with another place my code is backed up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Is there something like this article except for Android development?

I haven't touched Android dev in probably 4 years, so I'm probably horribly out of date...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm idly thinking about doing an Android app again for the first time in years. Lately I've been doing a lot of web work with React...does anyone here have anything to say about React Native for Android development?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

speng31b posted:

This isn't a development question.

Ehh, it's develop-y enough that I'd say that this thread is the best fit to tell the poster what's needed (i.e. that they need a developer).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Build a time machine and go back to when the iPhone was released and make an app.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

You could try React Native. It's pretty cool.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

speng31b posted:

I disagree, and I've used it pretty extensively. I gave it a fighting shot - we have a lot of JS devs in our office, and it made sense to try to build some crossover. It's just not production-ready, stable, maintainable, or fine for building a really good UX. But probably not the time for a long form rant.

Interesting. I've only built some toy apps with it, but I haven't really heard people talking about it like you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The only differences I see between this way and mine is that (1) I'm ignoring a different file and (2) the string reference in the code will be named a bit differently. Is it really considered "less clean" to ignore /app/src/main/res/values/totallysecret.xml versus doing the Gradle thing? My way still gives me fields to use in my code, the only difference is that instead of your BuildConfig.SECRETSQUIRREL I put on my robe and R.string.SECRETSQUIRREL hat.

Now you have two separate files storing configuration information. A bespoke one and a standardized one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Volguus posted:

It is. So? Scala was even older until it picked up a bit of steam. And even after 6 years, I am not aware of any other IDEs (than JetBrains) supporting this language. Not saying is bad (it isnt). It's just ... meh. Nice for a couple of personal projects for sure, but more of a curiosity, nothing else.

This is a weird position you're taking.

It sounds like you're saying it's an improvement, but...well I don't know what goes after the "but" here.

Are you actually saying its worse than Java?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Besides, AFAIK, the JVM is widely considered to be pretty performant.

I don't think anyone serious is really thinking the performance of Java or the JVM is holding back Android, but I'll admit I don't follow Android dev too closely.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

What would keep me from using Kotlin is (I'm assuming) the dearth of examples and SnackOverflow questions and blog posts about doing X in Android compared to doing the same in Java.

The same thing that keeps me from using Elm (which is awesome) on web frontend projects.

I'm too dumb and need lots of help.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

so it's just a different syntax? if so, lol @ u nerds spurtin about it

That's what every different language boils down to.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Doh004 posted:

Gotcha, that's more related to app support which is good to know - I'm actually asking about the business development people? Who manages the Play Store categories? How do you get featured more prominently? Set up partnerships between the two etc.

I do not know the answer to your questions, but I do know Google. I would bet that its almost all algorithmic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Volguus posted:

Well, i don't know. The users would use our app to create a thing that then it would be saved into their account online (our web application). That thing needs a name before it can be saved, so the save button pops up a dialog asking for the name and off it goes. Now, one could say that this operation can be called Upload and they'd be kinda right, but to be fair I'm not so sure that Upload is better than Save. At the end of the day is about semantics. The app (the entire solution in general) is targeted at developers not average joe six-pack, so they should most likely know what is going on.

If its any help, a common paradigm is that its just automatically saved with some sort of name like "Untitled".

Google Docs for example.