Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Is there some kind of updated go-to guide to dealing with assets for Android? Things like resolution, etc.

Very recently I've somehow become lead developer on an in-progress barely-beta Android app that is targeting -8 and above, all smartphone screen sizes (but bigger/newer phones are priority), horizontal and vertical. And I'm going crazy working with our designer and trying to figure out how to handle resources and screen sizes. I want to be able to tell him "give me x, y and z, designed for these resolutions, proportioned for these sizes" but I don't even know what to ask for when it comes to deliverables, or the best way to manage it on my end.

The designs are very graphics heavy, and kind of iOS-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
Anyone know of a decent Android A/B testing service? Something on the lightweight/inexpensive side (i.e. not swerve) preferred...

edit: is the clutch.io base really awful or what?

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 22, 2013

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Angryhead posted:

Ugh, spent a while trying to figure out why my app was crashing on a friend's phone.
Apparently I was using methods that required an API that was newer than the minimum, which obviously gave no (explicit) warning from Eclipse. :suicide:

A question: is BitmapFactory.options.inSampleSize the best(only?) way to reduce memory size by images (that are being streamed from a web server) or is there a better way?

This has burned me more than once :(

Android Studio picks up on these issues though.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

BLT Clobbers posted:

Seconding this. I'm now kinda concerned it's running too fast compared to a real Android device. Also it has USB support.

Haha, yeah, it does run faster than actual phones.

Genymotion is an amazing tool and I use it all the time, but it's not exactly good for testing, say, animations, memory usage, and screen size factors. You still need the AVD emu and real phones for lots of polish stuff.