Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Glimm posted:

I also picked up PyCharm ($25) though I typically use Vim for Python stuff, as I buggered my autocomplete settings for Python last weekend and can't be arsed to fix it; I've never used PyCharm - hope it doesn't suck. IntelliJ however I think is pretty awesome and if you hate Eclipse maybe give it a shot (there is a free Community Edition as well).

You might want to ask for a refund on PyCharm if you bought IntelliJ. All of the features of PyCharm are actually in the Python plugin that comes with IntelliJ Ultimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

So this week I'm starting some minor Droid development at work. I'm much more comfortable with C# and I'd really like to use Mono, but I wonder if it's really worth it? Having the company spend $400 for a license, trying to find C# examples of whatever I'm trying to do, etc.

I took a few Java courses in college but I didn't like it very much, never did anything sophisticated at all, just made some really bare-bone command line examples of some OO design patterns that I don't remember what so ever. Is the support for Mono big enough, or should I just tough it up and learn Java?

How different do you perceive Java being from C#? I thought I was in the iPhone thread at first when I read this. C# is really similar to Java in syntax/style, with most of the divergence being around types and collections, as far as I remember.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

it is posted:

Are you really teaching an intro CS class with Android? That sounds horrible.

I mean I've heard arguments against Java as a teaching language, but "not-quite-Java" with weird Android crap on top?