Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Why is that? I came across something else that said that recently, but didn't say what problem it avoided. I'm just getting back into Android development, so these sorts of gathered lore are interesting to me.

One reason is that the R class gets generated in your application's package name's package, so if you want to use it in a class that's in a different package, you need to explicitly import it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

speng31b posted:

Anyone done any testing on Android N and found any major pitfalls? Been in a crunch-time project and haven't had a chance to check it out as much as I'd like.

If you're using the NDK, linking against or dlopening private libraries will stop working as soon as your application has a target SDK level of N or greater.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

one of them implies that the poster only uses 1970s text editors without any kind of IDE functionality

"my editor generates the meaningless boilerplate" is not a very compelling argument

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Vesi posted:

UDP handles firewalls/NAT very inconsistently

This is especially bad, because lots of mobile networks are using carrier NAT now.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
You're sending imminent forward collision alerts via UDP?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Popete posted:

Alright I got a real weird issue I can't seem to track. We ship embedded Android products out from our factory and everything is fine, customer recieves it and complains the startup application isn't launching. I'm digging into the issue and from ADB it looks like PackageManager is failing to parse the packages.xml file located at /data/system/packages.xml. I'm not entirely sure what the xml file is but it looks to be built on boot from all packages that comprise the system and I don't know why PackageManager is failing to parse this xml on some boards. On a good board the packages.xml file looks identical (according to diff) except occasionally one line is changed near the top of the file.

Good board:
<last-platform-version internal="8" external="8" />

Bad board:
<last-platform-version internal="8" external="0" />

I'm not %100 that there is a correlation between that line and a board being bad but I'm wondering if anyone here can shed some light on the packages.xml file and specifically that entry for <last-platform-version>. Any thoughts on why it's choking parsing this xml file? It happens consistently on every boot once the board goes bad but only once the boards reach our customer does it happen, we cannot get our boards in factory or on cycle testing to get into this state.

Here is an ADB capture.

Are you seriously shipping a froyo device in 2017?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Volmarias posted:

x86 is mostly ignorable too right now afaik.

armv5 has been dead for like a decade now, and mips never existed. There are a few million mips devices in China, but it's a different mips ABI than the one in the NDK. Note that armv7 doesn't imply NEON or the idiv instruction (thanks nvidia).

x86 is alive in chromebooks, the nexus player, and emulators. I'm not sure whether ChromeOS supports 64-bit, but the nexus player definitely does not.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

netcat posted:

Is it possible to build Android with OEM unlocking enabled and dm-verity disabled by default? That does not involve hacking the uboot source and figuring out whatever magic the OEM unlocking service does? Or is it vendor specific?

bootloading locking is orthogonal to the build, -eng builds have verity disabled by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

Okay actual question.

For those of you doing active Android projects here, I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for places that will test your app on a variety of devices at a reasonable price?

Firebase Test Lab