Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimbal_Machine
May 11, 2005
Bite me euler angles.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Oops, my rant mode got engaged.

I hear ya. I wouldn't say its career ending and I even enjoy it some days. I've officially been working on android full time for 3 years now.

The constant chorus of 'look at the source code' is a complete and utter joke. The source code is incomprehensible in many spots, using terrible package level linking, hidden and non-accessible methods, and providing non-extensible base implementations. This coupled with fairly sloppy coding standards just leads to serious direction setting issues, which you mention.

Pretty much everything requires special treatment. Device differences, OS level differences, manufacturer differences all add up to serious trouble.

OTOH, I don't think Android development is career ending. We get recruited all the time and the coding practices/debugging/hacking/profiling stuff is transitive to other languages.

I actually like how hard it is most of the time. I don't know that I agree with the sentiment that the SDK works against you. I really like ant, so thats a non-issue for me. Languages are languages. Libraries suck. You make lots of good points. There are just some things you kinda have to act like teflon about (gently caress senseui)

As far as recommended libraries, i've really enjoyed using ORMLite http://ormlite.com/ which, in my opinion, is much more usable then the ContentProvider framework Google proposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU