Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

They'll probably make that setup a default for new apps, at least.

It would be nice to backport the Material stuff so we can just use the exact same theme, I have to believe this is the plan. Right Google? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Karthe posted:

What's the cleanest/smoothest way to set your app's theme if you let the user choose between them (like between a Light and Dark theme)? Right now my app switches between themes just fine except for the fact that, from a cold start, the app temporarily loads the default Light theme in AndroidManifest before reading the Preference and switching to the Dark theme.

Ideally, if the user has chosen to use the dark theme, the app would immediately load the dark theme even from a cold start. Am I forgetting to do something?

Have you tried doing this in onCreate of your Application object instead? (I've never tried this, not sure if it would work)

Another option might be having an intermediate Activity which is just blank/grayed out and have it set the theme then go into your first Activity, which may or may not be a nice effect.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

Hopefully someone will take the new RecyclerView stuff and writes a nice wrapper library for it.

I haven't had a chance to play with it much but TwoWay-View aims to do just that.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Woop woop, Android Studio 1.0:
https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Eclipse/ADT look pretty dead in the water:

Android Developer Tools posted:

Caution: The ADT plugin for Eclipse is no longer in active development. If you're currently using it, you should migrate to Android Studio as soon as possible. For more details about Android Studio, see the Android Studio guide.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What do you guys like to use for version control with your Android projects? I'm going to start working on my first-ever app soon and I want to have my versioning squared away ahead of time. I was thinking about using Github since everyone seems to include their githubs on their resumes these days (and all my day-job programming is proprietary so I can't show it off), but I have no idea how nicely it plays with Android Studio.

I use Git, I'm sure there is an IntelliJ plugin for it but I'm not sure how good it is (I just use the command line).

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

ButtaKnife posted:

At this point, I'd disagree with your last assertion. I think even targeting 14+ it's a good idea to use support fragments. At least with the support libraries, if there are bugs, they can be fixed in the library. If there are bugs in the OS, well, gently caress.

Also, the AppCompat v21+ library includes Material Design components for non-Lollipop devices, but you'll need to be using the support classes to take full advantage of it. So just do that.

As annoying as the support lib can be I've got to agree, even targeting 4.x+ I'd recommend using it.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

hooah posted:

So much trouble for such a little thing.

Welcome to Android

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Data binding looks really interesting:

https://developer.android.com/tools/data-binding/guide.html

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

React Native for Android is now available:

http://facebook.github.io/react-native/

Time to re-write all of our apps??

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

The dev cycle being (usually) edit/reload/test in a matter of seconds (and without having to necessarily redo a bunch of steps in your app) is so much nicer. I also think the Chrome developer tools are better than the Android Studio/etc. ones, but not everyone agrees.

Yeah, I have a slight aversion to JavaScript but the live reload is really slick and the idea behind React has me really excited.

I'm also hoping React Native for Android somehow hides some of the terribleness of the Android lifecycle from me.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Sereri posted:

I'm thinking about ripping out the backend of Awful.apk and replacing it with a new one (that actually does what it should). Maybe ripping out the view apart from the layouts too.

What is currently being used for networking, what are the current trends for app architecture?

To give an idea, current Awful.apk basically sends a request via some slighty customised Volley and saves the processed data to a sqlite database (for offline browsing for example) . It then outputs the data via contentproviders to the webview. I think, I'm currently not at a computer.

So, what be a current way to build something like that?

The Android folks at my company are mostly using Retrofit/OkHttp for web requests. They're moving to RxJava to do more complicated things with their requests. They're manually using ContentProviders / SQLite for storing data.

If you're on the RxJava train SQLBrite (https://github.com/square/sqlbrite) looks neat, but I haven't used it and I'm not sure how popular it is.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

This is neat, a GitHub repo with a listing of Android development related blogs:

https://github.com/ziem/android-development-blogs

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Anyone at I/O?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Doh004 posted:

This might be the entirely wrong place, but is anyone here familiar with how to get in touch with any sort of Google Play Store category managers? Apple has a developer relations team and I was wondering if Google had something similar.

Best I've done is post on Google+ and include prominent DevRel folks like Ian Lake in my post asking for help. This got me out or a jam once.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Volguus posted:

So my company hired another company (5 people or so) to test our up and coming thing. It consists of many moving parts, including an Android app. Now, in that Android app we have a "Save" feature and therefore we have a save menu with a floppy disk icon. In the report that we got back I saw: "The floppy icon is old school, just use the word Save". Ughh ... what? Is that so? When did that happen?

This sounds like an Apple HIG suggestion and they're just applying it to Android where it doesn't make sense as a strict rule.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Play store still shows a "Not designed for children" warning. For utility apps there's no reason you should be restricting this.

I could be wrong but I think there's a lengthy review process and stringent requirements to be designed for children now. I tried it on my cartoony live wallpaper and it got rejected / still has that notice.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

ringu0 posted:

Thank you! I'll try the shell trick.

Unfortunately neither of these solutions is in the cards. The web services are self-hosted by the customers, so there's no single URL to package. There is a first-run state and the UI to type in the URL, but the deployment team requested a config file for mass deployment. It's an enterprise app, and we provide hardware with preinstalled software.

Is MDM (or Android Enterprise Management) an option instead?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Iirc Facebook is tearing RN out of their mobile codebases and the companies in my area (automotive) that used it are going all in on native development

It sucks poo poo for everything larger than PoCs or fart apps

I haven’t tried to use it personally in awhile but compared to the work I’ve done in SwiftUI and seen in Compose the past few months RN can be sunsetted now. It’s just awful. Flutter is better and it’s written in Dart.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

One of the Compose devs streams regularly on Twitch (he's live right now) and answers questions and such:
https://twitch.tv/intelligibabble

My company is building a large new product with Compose. Some growing pains here and there but in a lot of ways it feels better than SwiftUI (according to the folks who've looked at both anyway, I've only been using SwiftUI so far).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Volguus posted:

Cool, thanks, I'll report these findings. Yes, this could work, in my opinion, but I'm sure I'll hear: no servers, no online. Oh well...

You could use something like Firebase Remote Config to send your decryption key down.

Folks can still sniff the network traffic and find it though.

Of course, you could encrypt the key before sending it, but then you've got to store the decryption key in the client...

It's a tough problem