Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Out of the three Takashi Miike films I've seen, Ichi the Killer is honestly the worst. It's still not bad, but Gozu and to a lesser extent The Happiness of the Katakuris are better.

That said, I do find Kakihara to be a very funny character in a very black comedy way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Hewlett posted:

:siren: NEW EPISODE! :siren:

Listen to us attempt to pronounce Chichevache's username as we take a look at Ichi the Killer! Our Clue guest Theo returns as we try to make sense of this crazy, crazy movie, but we definitely get a great discussion in - the film works incredibly as a subject for discussion as compared to the actual viewing experience. I'm also really proud of the quiz; in case people haven't figured out yet, We've been taking our drink pictures and videos of the victory/punishment shot-taking to Instagram!

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Maremidon posted:

Out of the three Takashi Miike films I've seen, Ichi the Killer is honestly the worst. It's still not bad, but Gozu and to a lesser extent The Happiness of the Katakuris are better.

That said, I do find Kakihara to be a very funny character in a very black comedy way.

13 Assassins and Harakiri: Death of a Samurai are both on Netflix and worth watching. They're much less "weird" than his older films and I would even go so far as to call both of them masterpieces. If he keeps trending in that direction I think he can solidify himself as one of the best directors Japan has ever produced.

*EDIT*

I've listened to about half the podcast now and I do have to say this might be your best one. Obviously I'm a little biased because I did suggest it, but I think other listeners will probably agree with me. The level of discourse is excellent and all three of you had some great incites into what the film may be trying to say and how it portrayed its themes. I haven't watched the movie in two or three years, so it will be really great to revisit it with these new perspectives. Great job.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 1, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Chichevache posted:

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

13 Assassins and Harakiri: Death of a Samurai are both on Netflix and worth watching. They're much less "weird" than his older films and I would even go so far as to call both of them masterpieces. If he keeps trending in that direction I think he can solidify himself as one of the best directors Japan has ever produced.

*EDIT*

I've listened to about half the podcast now and I do have to say this might be your best one. Obviously I'm a little biased because I did suggest it, but I think other listeners will probably agree with me. The level of discourse is excellent and all three of you had some great incites into what the film may be trying to say and how it portrayed its themes. I haven't watched the movie in two or three years, so it will be really great to revisit it with these new perspectives. Great job.

Been meaning to see both of those for a while, and I will eventually get around to it. Also I agree with you that this was a very cerebral episode, which made it a lot of fun.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Shi-sheh-vash.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I Before E posted:

Shi-sheh-vash.

Cool. I wasn't sure if it was a Ch like chuck or Sh like poo poo. Thanks for helping me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichevache

Maremidon posted:

Been meaning to see both of those for a while, and I will eventually get around to it. Also I agree with you that this was a very cerebral episode, which made it a lot of fun.

13 Assassins is more like what you've experienced from him before, though highly polished and not nearly as depraved. Harakiri is very long, very slow, and very very beautiful. It may be one of my five favorite films ever. I haven't seen the original yet, but his take is certainly very well made. Every single shot is gorgeous.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Chichevache posted:

Thanks so much! Yeah, it's definitely a film I probably won't revisit any time soon, but it was great fodder for discussion; it ended up being a great talk. It's our hope that we can keep that level of discourse up, and find a decent middle ground between informative and entertaining so we can keep ourselves from getting too dry. I also nth the 13 Assassins recommendation, it's real solid.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Man, that was a pretty solid episode.

Ichi the Killer was super popular among the movie nerds at my high school. We all had our different reasons for liking it, but it was universally loved. I remember one guy was just astonished by Miike's output - at that time he was averaging something close to ten films released per year according to IMDB. Something crazy like that.

I will say we definitely viewed it as a pitch black comedy, and that was the main appeal for myself and my roommate. The violence was kind of cool but I don't think it really compares to something like Robocop in how well that is pulled off. I was surprised to hear your guest say it was a boring movie though, because I didn't really get that at first. Listening to you guys talk about it though did make me reconsider my old memories of the movie. I talked about it with my roommate, and he told me he tried to rewatch it a year or two ago and didn't get far in before shutting off. One thing he attributed it to was probably a change in his sense of humor.

I'm definitely interested in rewatching it now though. It also has me interested in rewatching another staple of my high school film life, which is the Japanese movie Suicide Club. I'm wondering if that will hold up any better than I'm fearing Ichi won't.

I am disappointed you guys watched Ichi with the Japanese audio though. The dub for Ichi is actually super amazing and gives it a ton of charm. There's not a lot of movies that can be said about. Also I think it would have immensely helped with your inability to pronounce some character names.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Thanks guys, the feedback means a lot.

UPDATE: Jared and I have finally figured out our schedule for the next few months!

* indicates listener requests/Mailbags. We're cranking through quite a few this time around.

6-Feb 124 The Dinosaur Project (already recorded, coming out tomorrow)
13-Feb 125 VALENTINE'S DAY MOVIE: Love Story
20-Feb 126 Falling Down*
27-Feb 127 OSCAR SPECIAL: Gravity

6-Mar 128 The Black Hole*
13-Mar 129 ST. PADDY'S DAY SPECIAL: Secret of Kells
20-Mar 130 Time Bandits*
27-Mar 131 The Magic Christian*

3-Apr 132 The Watcher*
10-Apr 133 Silverado*
17-Apr 134 Bicentennial Man*
24-Apr 135 Fish Story*

VIDEO GAME MOVIE MONTH:
1-May 136 Mortal Kombat*
6-May 137 Wing Commander
13-May 138 Silent Hill
20-May 139 Cloak & Dagger
27-May 140 Super Mario Bros.*

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
There's some in there I'm definitely looking forward to, and I'd really like to guest again some time in video game month.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

General Ironicus posted:

There's some in there I'm definitely looking forward to, and I'd really like to guest again some time in video game month.

Silent Hill, Super Mario Bros, and Mortal Kombat would be fun as hell.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'll fight all comers for that SMB spot. It is my favorite type of batshit, and I want to imbibe some sort of shiitake-based cocktail.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Alas guys, the SMB spot is already taken, but most all of them are left. I'll get in touch with you guys soon about what's left.

This week, Jared and I go guestless to take a look at the found-footage flick The Dinosaur Project! We actually liked it a lot more than we were expected (Jared hadn't really heard of it, I'd only heard bad things, especially compared to SMG's love of Area 407), despite its flaws. Check it out!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This week on Alcohollywood, we take on Love Story! While it's certainly one of the more infamous examples of lovely, schmaltzy chick flicks without an ounce of irony or subversion, we actually are able to mine a good bit of discussion out of it. Check it out!

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Hewlett posted:

This week, Jared and I go guestless to take a look at the found-footage flick The Dinosaur Project! We actually liked it a lot more than we were expected (Jared hadn't really heard of it, I'd only heard bad things, especially compared to SMG's love of Area 407), despite its flaws. Check it out!

Well, you said you liked learning! :eng101:

Reasons Feathers Are Useful Besides Flying

* - Protection from harsh temperatures and the elements. This is the big one, and is wildly theorized to be the most likely reason why feathers evolved in the first place. Down feathers act as insulation, keeping the bird warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather. They can trap pockets of warm air when fluffed, which is why, for example, tiny sprites like the Chickadee and Kinglet are chill as hell in temperatures that make comparatively huge mammals like myself cry. By keeping the down "unfluffed", they're also protected from overheating in hot weather. Contour feathers (outer layer of body feathers) and primaries (wing/arm feathers) make great shields against wind and rain as well.

* - Display/communication. This is the second biggest one right after protection. Birds are visually-oriented creatures for the most part and feather color, pattern, and shape play a huge role in communication. There's the famous "pimp cape" of the peacocks of course, used to not only impress pea-ladies but to scare the poo poo out of enemies. But even less spectacular birds will flash bold patterns, puff themselves up, raise crests, raise wings, slim down, etc.

And there's a ton of other various uses like nest construction, sponging up water, aiding digestion, distracting predators, enhancing the sense of touch, making (or not making) sounds, movement other than flying and, uh, flying. Flying is actually falling deeper and deeper down on the list of probable reasons why feathers first evolved.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Necroing this thread for a new episode that might of goon interest - due to an unfortunate case of double-booking/Jared being kidnapped by a serial killer, I have to go without him for the majority of this episode of Alcohollywood, where we talk about the weird Keanu Reeves thriller The Watcher! Fat Lou and comedian Kris Flanagan join me to help me out, and it ends up being a blast.

Also, artgoon Infamous Sphere gave us our very first Alcohollywood-inspired fan art, a poster for The Watcher (which she suggested):

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Kris is a great guest. He's a lot of fun to listen to.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Necroing this thread!

A site named Bill's Movie Emporium reviews film podcasts on a weekly basis, and finally got around to doing our review today.

It's a rather weird one, because he says he likes what we have to say about the films themselves, but all of the negatives boil down to "I'm just not that into booze by any means," so he ends up not recommending it. To be fair, he's honest about wearing this bias on his sleeve, and it's just not his thing, which I totally respect. I was just surprised that the actual drinking games context was such an integral and dealbreaking part of the podcast for him. For me, it's about 90% film talk, 10% drinking, which makes it odd for me that those little things turned him off so much. Is this a thought shared by anyone else? Are we so constrained by the alcohol gimmick that it turns people off?

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 30, 2014

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
If anything, the gimmick is what sets you guys apart from the multitude of other film podcasts. It's a way of structuring the conversation and keeping things on track. You play fast and loose with when to introduce a new rule or the drink in question, but it's always at least relevant to the topic at hand.

Reading his review, this guy kinda sounds like a stick in the mud. I don't drink much myself, but I can at least appreciate the craft involved. You guys clearly know what you're talking about, be it mixology or film analysis. How can that be a negative?

It would be like listening to Welcome to Night Vale and saying "I'm just not that into public radio."

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Please rename to "Set of Three Recurring Motifsywood". Problem solved.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The only time the drinking gimmick even comes close to being unwelcome is when you have multiple rowdy drunk guests. The only instance of this I can really recall is the Neverending Story episode and you've mentioned those issues yourself. Usually the alcohol is just a fun quirk that sets you guys apart though and it really doesn't matter because it's still a film podcast.

In fact, aside from the occasional clinking noises, it's not usually apparent that there's much drinking involved. Jared's drink segment is pretty isolated and you rarely mention them again. I can only imagine the Hollyweed version where every scene discussion has to be prefaced by mentioning how high they were during it and how great this movie is to watch while stoned. Oh, I just remembered the victory/punishment shots too, but making it non-alcoholic doesn't really change anything.

The real reason he's a stick in the mud is that he didn't like The Dinosaur Project episode, that one is great. It's almost entirely just you and Jared chumming it up about goofy movie analysis, which is what he said he was looking for.

Also, I am hella pumped for video game movie month. I have a soft spot for Mortal Kombat myself, but I mostly just can't wait to hear you two talk about SMB.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Thanks, guys; like I said, I totally respect that the drinking component of the podcast isn't his thing, I just think he weighed the 5% of the podcast that he didn't like way more than he should have. It kind of feels like getting an F on a paper you still got 95% on.

Then again, he himself says he doesn't really know how to talk/write about us given his distaste for "booze and booze culture" yet liking our film talk, and he was very transparent and honest in his review about his biases (including his pro-Chicago bias, which was interesting). It's just a slightly frustrating review to read because it's down to weird factors that are out of our control, and it's not like we have many reviews of the podcast out there either way.

In an unrelated note, I just got a huge box of Godzilla swag today for a promotional thing I set up while I was at C2E2; we're still talking about what kind of contest or giveaway we'll do for it.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 1, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I enjoy the drinks you guys make, though only once have I ever actually made the right drink for the right movie, and I don't really agree with his complaints. Yes, drinking is a part of your podcast, but it really is hardly even a focal point once you stop with the rules. I find it interesting that he listened to the Ichi the Killer episode and felt that way. That episode was probably the single best discussion of a film I've heard from you guys, and I don't just say that because I picked that movie. Bill is definitely up front about his biases, and I'll give him credit for that, but he really comes across as an incredibly touchy sperg who I wouldn't want to take advice from anyway.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I loved the new episode about Mortal Kombat. It is such a dumb/fun movie that warents this half serious half dumb treatment.

Edit: You guys were right around the end. This movie is dated in all the best ways. It is deliciously 90's. I will point this movie to anybody who says that decade has zero defining features.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 3, 2014

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Necro-ing this thread to show off our new lineup!

3-Jun 141 Being There
10-Jun 142 Bunraku
17-Jun 143 Quest for Fire
24-Jun 144 The LEGO Movie
1-Jul 145 FOURTH OF JULY SPECIAL: The Patriot (2000)
8-Jul 146 The Visitor
15-Jul 147 The Lost Weekend
22-Jul 148 The Black Cauldron
29-Jul 149 Clifford

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hewlett posted:

3-Jun 141 Being There
10-Jun 142 Bunraku
8-Jul 146 The Visitor
29-Jul 149 Clifford

Sounds like a great line up. Looking forward to The Black Cauldron.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Sounds like a great line up. Looking forward to The Black Cauldron.

Thanks! I was personally worried we were getting too obscure of a lineup to make things inaccessible, but most of these are listener requests, and I'm really jazzed to talk LEGO Movie on the show.

We're also trying to figure out what we should do about our 150th episode after those are done - we want to do something special, but the 50th episode guest-party was pretty much a disaster and our 100th episode Dr. No commentary, while good, didn't get the same numbers our actual episodes do.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Maybe do a handful of mini-episodes on shorts? Call it Quick Shots.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Hewlett posted:

3-Jun 141 Being There
10-Jun 142 Bunraku
8-Jul 146 The Visitor
29-Jul 149 Clifford

:siren:The Visitor:siren:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

You guys - Nathan Rabin might be guesting on an upcoming episode of the show. Knock wood.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I was about to say that I remember The Patriot being awesome but then I realized I was confusing it with Patriot Games. IIRC from my middle school social studies class where we watched it (American education is a joke, woo), The Patriot is pretty stupid but fun.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

General Ironicus posted:

Maybe do a handful of mini-episodes on shorts? Call it Quick Shots.

Drinking games for TV shows, or maybe they could cover a mini-series for episode 150. A shorter one, not a colossal one like Roots or Shogun.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Hewlett posted:

3-Jun 141 Being There
10-Jun 142 Bunraku
8-Jul 146 The Visitor
29-Jul 149 Clifford

Oh my goodness, Quest For Fire, Black Cauldron, and Clifford?!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hewlett posted:

3-Jun 141 Being There
10-Jun 142 Bunraku
8-Jul 146 The Visitor
29-Jul 149 Clifford
The thing that always bugs me about Bunraku is that Mike Patton of all people was the narrator in it. :psyduck:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

achillesforever6 posted:

The thing that always bugs me about Bunraku is that Mike Patton of all people was the narrator in it. :psyduck:

Would you say you have faith no more in his voice acting abilities? :smug:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hewlett posted:

Would you say you have faith no more in his voice acting abilities? :smug:
No problem indeed, I love Patton's work FNM and Mr. Bungle got the raw deal in the US. California is such a better album than Californication

His voice acting is great, I mean the stuff he did with the Darkness was not tampered with, that was his real voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWqlTn_dxNg
:stare:

Its no wonder he gets asked to do zombie voices for video games and movies

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I was about to say that I remember The Patriot being awesome but then I realized I was confusing it with Patriot Games. IIRC from my middle school social studies class where we watched it (American education is a joke, woo), The Patriot is pretty stupid but fun.

It's Braveheart with sideburns.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Two updates:

1) Our Being There episode is up - drat, what a great movie that snuck up on us. We get into some wonderful discussion here, and Jared comes up with my new favorite drink name.

2) Nathan Rabin is definitely doing our Bunraku episode next week. I'm geeking out over here.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Hewlett posted:

Two updates:

1) Our Being There episode is up - drat, what a great movie that snuck up on us. We get into some wonderful discussion here, and Jared comes up with my new favorite drink name.

I always get this one mixed up with The Constant Gardener.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

I always get this one mixed up with The Constant Gardener.

A lot of times, we forget to name the drink until we're recording, and I cut the ensuing discussion from the final episode. This time, though, I just had to keep in our awed appreciation of "The Chaunce-tant Gardener."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

YOU GUYS

Nathan Rabin talks Bunraku with us on the latest episode.

• Locked thread