Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkeyspank
Feb 22, 2001

Voila du boudin

Amethyst posted:

Because reaching up from a keyboard to a touchscreen is an objectively terrible experience which makes your arm hurt after a few minutes.

Seriously, try it now.

But now you are using a cursor with a small trackpad on a UI designed for fingers. I like the idea of Metro but something about Surface just screams Ballmer choking pre-release and shoving a bunch of extraneous poo poo into the device. It was probably a lovely tablet running Win 8 but then got larded up with a kickstand, keyboard and stylus because Ballmer was worried it wasn't different enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
The trackpad will come into play when you're using it as a laptop and doing heavy duty work in Desktop mode. Hopefully Metro won't intrude too much when doing so and hopefully the trackpad isn't poo poo, but we'll have to wait and see for that review.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

monkeyspank posted:

But now you are using a cursor with a small trackpad on a UI designed for fingers. I like the idea of Metro but something about Surface just screams Ballmer choking pre-release and shoving a bunch of extraneous poo poo into the device. It was probably a lovely tablet running Win 8 but then got larded up with a kickstand, keyboard and stylus because Ballmer was worried it wasn't different enough.

The Metro UI is designed for touch. Programs may not be. Like Office. I'd probably destroy my computer if I had to use Word or PowerPoint without a mouse/touchpad.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Even if this device doesn't end up being perfect it's probably the most comprehensive competitor to the iPad so far with some differentiating features that could help it carve out its own niche. Having a huge player like MS solidly behind an in-house device is good for everyone including Apple people. It just helps push the market forward, forces vendors to reevaluate pricing and creates more consumer choice.

It looks like a cool product that may be a very good fit for a lot of people so hey. Cool.

spidoman posted:

The Metro UI is designed for touch. Programs may not be. Like Office. I'd probably destroy my computer if I had to use Word or PowerPoint without a mouse/touchpad.
So toss an arc touch in your bag for the times you want to use more robust applications and use touch the 90% of the time you're just browsing the web, using IM or whatever.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Launching "competitive" with existing priceS doesnt make people reevaluate their pricing. Using a worse screen than existing tablets doesnt push the market forward.

There is no niche for this thing. The ARM version doesnt have an app ecosystem. The intel version is thick, heavy, and will probably be very expensive. The screen is worse than an ipad, and the keyboard is worse than an ultrabook. It is the homercar of devices, it tries to do everything, but the only things that stand out are the gimmicks.

monkeyspank
Feb 22, 2001

Voila du boudin
I'm interested to see how it works. I can imagine really lovely ways to integrate a small trackpad into a touch UI and I hope MS figures out something non-lovely instead.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Amethyst posted:

Are there any pictures of this thing running in portrait mode? I can't imagine it looking any good with the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Is there any evidence there will be a portrait mode?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

^^^
Windows 8/Metro works and looks fine in Portrait, not sure about RT.

Gendo posted:

Even if this device doesn't end up being perfect it's probably the most comprehensive competitor to the iPad so far with some differentiating features that could help it carve out its own niche. Having a huge player like MS solidly behind an in-house device is good for everyone including Apple people. It just helps push the market forward, forces vendors to reevaluate pricing and creates more consumer choice.

It looks like a cool product that may be a very good fit for a lot of people so hey. Cool.
So toss an arc touch in your bag for the times you want to use more robust applications and use touch the 90% of the time you're just browsing the web, using IM or whatever.

But then you have an accessory. The ability to do "everything" with just your tablet and case seems really awesome.

I think it's the first honest attempt at blending the tablet and the laptop together into one product. It may have issues but I hope this is the direction of tablets in the future...

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 19, 2012

Slow and Serious
Mar 20, 2007

It runs ok.
Wow, this looks interesting and I can't wait to give it a try. I currently use the original Asus Transformer with the keyboard dock and it's great for bringing to class but it's occasionally buggy and Android tablet apps seem to be lacking. The tactile keyboard also looks neat but one thing I like about the Transformer keyboard dock is that it also acts as an extended battery.

I don't really like the idea of the kickstand on this since I will be using it on non-tabletop surfaces such as my lap and I don't know how that will work out. I wonder if there's any chance that they are working on a third keyboard dock with a solid hinge design and maybe the extended battery.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

the talent deficit posted:

Is there any evidence there will be a portrait mode?

It it doesn't have a portrait mode, that is yet another glaring omission that it's competitors don't have.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

computers posted:

, and the keyboard is worse than an ultrabook

Were you at the event tonight to try out the keyboard?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Were you at the event tonight to try out the keyboard?

The keyboard is tiny, like a netbook. Looks really uncomfortable to me, like a netbook.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The iPad keyboard is extremely easy to type on when it's in normal keyboard mode, even with my somewhat big hands. I can't imagine anyone having issues with the Surface keyboard if they actually spend time with it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

The iPad keyboard is extremely easy to type on when it's in normal keyboard mode, even with my somewhat big hands. I can't imagine anyone having issues with the Surface keyboard if they actually spend time with it.

It's ok for short term typing, like quick responses to emails, but you aren't going to be writing long documents or coding. Same with netbook keyboards and this type cover thing.

If Microsoft is seriously proposing this as a laptop replacement I am seriously skeptical about using that keyboard for full blown content creation.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Amethyst posted:

It's ok for short term typing, like quick responses to emails, but you aren't going to be writing long documents or coding. Same with netbook keyboards and this type cover thing.

If Microsoft is seriously proposing this as a laptop replacement I am seriously skeptical about using that keyboard for full blown content creation.

I feel like if you're going to use it for full blown content creation then you will just plug a USB keyboard into the port.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Startacus posted:

I feel like if you're going to use it for full blown content creation then you will just plug a USB keyboard into the port.

In that case why not have a laptop instead? No need to carry around a usb keyboard.

If this device isn't good for portable content creation, it isn't filling the niche Microsoft says it does.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
The ipad keyboard is usually at a proper angle as well. Typing on a flat surface, especially such a thin one, is really terrible. There's a reason that keyboards are angled or raised.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Amethyst posted:

In that case why not have a laptop instead? No need to carry around a usb keyboard.

If this device isn't good for portable content creation, it isn't filling the niche Microsoft says it does.

I think the idea would be if you are lounging around your apartment, or commuting to work, you can use the keyboard to type some quick emails, tweet, fb, whatever. Then when you get to work or wherever you're going to be working for sustained periods of time, you would have an actual keyboard there. No need to carry the keyboard with you. Just leave it at your desk.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Startacus posted:

I think the idea would be if you are lounging around your apartment, or commuting to work, you can use the keyboard to type some quick emails, tweet, fb, whatever. Then when you get to work or wherever you're going to be working for sustained periods of time, you would have an actual keyboard there. No need to carry the keyboard with you. Just leave it at your desk.

How can you use this keyboard on anything other than a flat tabletop?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
If I can order the Intel version with windows 7 I'm sold.
Even on this, gently caress metro.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

ilkhan posted:

If I can order the Intel version with windows 7 I'm sold.
Even on this, gently caress metro.

That's ridiculous, it's a touch device, why would you want windows 7?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Startacus posted:

So this isn't a laptop replacement then?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Butt Savage posted:

This is exactly what I want from my tablet experience. I want the security of being able to switch from lazing around and watching poo poo on YouTube to "oh my god, I forgot to do research for this paper due Friday, good thing this thing turns into a fully capable notebook that I can use at the library."

Just get a laptop.

quote:

Like others have said, if the battery life is 50% as good as the iPad's, I'm sold.

Make sure that four hour battery has charge before rushing to the library in a panic.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

TheRevolution1 posted:

To be fair, Windows 7 has a lot of touch stuff built-in, just not to the level of Windows 8. I have to support it on a lot of tablets running medical software.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Amethyst posted:

So this isn't a laptop replacement then?
That's the problem. Tablet's are great consumption devices and were a new in class type of device. This is what Apple focused on and making it the best in class for that scenario. Some people want to try and shoehorn contact creation into this type of device and have their all in one device. Microsoft tried this with Windows XP Tablet and it was terrible. The price point for the pro I suspect will be around the cost of an Ultrabook or Air which would be much better devices for most people at that price point. Will be very curious about noise and heat with that beveled air duct all the way around it which is curious.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TheRevolution1 posted:

Because if it had win7 I wouldn't have to deal with win8.

And I say that as one of the few people on Earth (it seems) who liked win vista once it had a patch or two in it. Win8 is loving horrible from my VERY brief encounter with it. I couldn't stand it long enough to even let it sit on my laptop overnight.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 19, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

computers posted:

There is no niche for this thing.
Some people actually loving hate Apple and I am one of them so I guess that's sort of a niche. If it's half as pleasant to use as my Windows Phone I'll be extremely happy with it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm buying the 128 Intel version the second it's available.

This thing is pure sex.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

hotsauce posted:

I'm buying the 128 Intel version the second it's available.

This thing is pure sex.

Why don't you buy a Samsung series 7 slate right now? http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/Samsung-Series-7-Slate/productID.241554200

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

I actually had one and sold it :v:

It was a bit large and the dock/keyboard arrangement was awkward. The Surface solves those issues.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Chasiubao posted:

Not you, but seriously where is this :byodood: The Tegra 3 is underpowered :byodood: thing coming from? Has it actually been confirmed or is it just idle speculation being presented as fact?

Compared to the A5 or A5X, the GPU on a tegra3 is tiny.

People may not think of apple as being aggressive on specs, but when it comes to SoCs they have been.

I don't know why MS is being cagey about the screen res either actually. To me, being cagey on something like that this far from release means they're seeing how low can they go to meet cost demands.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Also the display isn't 1080p and it's not running Ivy Bridge.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

hotsauce posted:

I actually had one and sold it :v:

It was a bit large and the dock/keyboard arrangement was awkward. The Surface solves those issues.

The series 7 is the same thickness and weight as surface pro. Sure the surface will hopefully have a better processor and screen, but is it really worth waiting over 6 months for it?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
This looks really cool and i want to try one out

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

Syrinxx posted:

Some people actually loving hate Apple and I am one of them so I guess that's sort of a niche. If it's half as pleasant to use as my Windows Phone I'll be extremely happy with it.

Brand loyalty/disloyalty is an inredibly dumb thing especially when it drives you into buying a blatantly inferior product. The RT version of the surface is objectively a worse device than an iPad because of the screen, app availability, and OS maturity alone. If you truly want to cut off your nose to spite your face buy an android tablet that at least has some semblance of an app ecosystem. If you want to use this as a laptop and not a tablet and are actually interested in content creation buy a laptop they are better and cheaper at this while offering better battery life and performance. This product has literally no merits over the competition unless you count a gimmick keyboard cover as a improvement worthy of buying the product despite the areas it is lacking in almost everywhere else.

Tablet/laptop hybrids have been out for a decade now and have never caught on outside of very niche medical roles. Metro isn't going to suddenly spur developers to the windows touch platform because the market share and the profit aren't there.

If you are actually considering buying the intel version I don't really see how you can justify buying what amounts to a netbook without a keyboard and trackpad for more than the price of a full featured ultrabook, because there is absolutely no way MS will be able to leverage their suppliers to get a core i5+128gb SSD in a package under $1000. You would be spending more than a good laptop for a tablet that is huge and clunky and requires a really crappy keyboard/trackpad so it can equate to a laptop. But you really really won't be satisfied typing papers, coding, whatever on that tiny rear end capacitive keyboard for prolonged periods of time. Getting the Intel versions just puts you in a role where you could run all the windows apps you love but you can't because of the crap that you need for input, and if you were to rectify this with a bluetooth keyboard+mouse you have completely defeated the portability factor of a tablet.

The intel tablet will be worse than an iPad or even a Xoom at being a tablet because of it's weight, thickness, and battery life and worse than a Macbook Air or whatever laptop you would consider buying at being a content creation device. Frankenstein devices sure sound cool but in theory they become the worst of both worlds.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
You know what would be sweet?

If MS released some in-house win 8 streaming software that allowed you to stream from your home win 8 desktop or xbox 360 to this thing.

There's been a lot of talk lately about MS acquiring On-Live, and I wonder if this is their eventual plan for the surface. Release this thing, release the new xbox next year, and release live streaming capability specifically tailored to Win 8.

"now play Crysis/xbox 720 games at 1080p anywhere in the world"

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

MrBond posted:

Compared to the A5 or A5X, the GPU on a tegra3 is tiny.

People may not think of apple as being aggressive on specs, but when it comes to SoCs they have been.

I don't know why MS is being cagey about the screen res either actually. To me, being cagey on something like that this far from release means they're seeing how low can they go to meet cost demands.

That, or they're trying to source decent display hardware and running smack into "Apple bought all our production and promised we'd sleep with the fishes if we sold a single one to anybody else" from everyone who can possibly manufacture a tablet-sized high-DPI panel.

Paint.NET Autist posted:

The RT version of the surface is objectively a worse device than an iPad because of the screen, app availability, and OS maturity alone.

There are other things that matter... but not many that matter so much.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

That, or they're trying to source decent display hardware and running smack into "Apple bought all our production and promised we'd sleep with the fishes if we sold a single one to anybody else" from everyone who can possibly manufacture a tablet-sized high-DPI panel.

There are other things that matter... but not many that matter so much.

Office frankly isn't enough here. Especially since it isn't optimized for tablets.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Amethyst posted:

Office frankly isn't enough here. Especially since it isn't optimized for tablets.

There's tons of apps people are going to want on a Windows ARM tablet, and if they don't get them, it will be hard to justify switching from either an iPad or an x86 laptop no matter how cool the gadget is.

However, I think its safe to assume Office isn't going to wait very long before they start working on a tablet-tuned version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
As a simple minded consumer whore, could I ask for an educated guess as to whether the Pro version of this thing would be suitable for graphically intensive PC games?

• Locked thread