Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Stick100 posted:

Agreed, but a reminder that this is an x86 tablet. I think Win8 x86 has a decent future but that Win8RT is effectively done. Can we change this thread to just Win 8 instead of Win 8 RT, or is there another Win 8 x86 thread?

The Windows 8 thread is in SH/SC.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514738

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This thread should really be renamed the Windows Tablet thread. I originally had a hard time finding it because of the name.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Stick100 posted:

Agreed, but a reminder that this is an x86 tablet. I think Win8 x86 has a decent future but that Win8RT is effectively done. Can we change this thread to just Win 8 instead of Win 8 RT, or is there another Win 8 x86 thread?

I made a new thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575393

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Anyone else unable to update to 8.1 from the 8.1 preview? I followed Microsoft's guide, and the update still doesn't appear in the store.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

wookieepelt posted:

Anyone else unable to update to 8.1 from the 8.1 preview? I followed Microsoft's guide, and the update still doesn't appear in the store.

Worked for me, is this on a Surface RT? I couldn't see anything from the store landing page but the instructions here got it working.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Try this link (from the page linked above).
https://ms-windows-store:windowsupgrade

edit: The forums automatically adds an HTTP so the link is invalid I think. Find it on the support page above.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I still don't see the update in the Store. I'm on a Surface RT, never got the preview 8.1. I've updated fully in Windows Update but nothing on Store coming up. Tried going directly to the link above and it just takes me to the front of the Store but no 8.1 RT update.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
This is why.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions, but they don't seem to help, it just took me to the store, which then went blank. I tried to do a recovery, but I got an error message saying some files are missing. My windows installer or recovery media should provide the files. And my recovery USB is apparently invalid.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So whenever I try Rowi, MetroTwit, or Twitter to get a decent Twitter app on my Surface RT, all of them kinda crash when trying to connect to the network. I am connected to the internet and everything is running fine, I just seem to have no luck successfully connecting to a Twitter application. Anything I can do?

Also, is there a Facebook app which actually is more useful than just going to it in a browser?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

i am not so sure posted:

So whenever I try Rowi, MetroTwit, or Twitter to get a decent Twitter app on my Surface RT, all of them kinda crash when trying to connect to the network. I am connected to the internet and everything is running fine, I just seem to have no luck successfully connecting to a Twitter application. Anything I can do?

Also, is there a Facebook app which actually is more useful than just going to it in a browser?

No idea on Twitter, but they just released a real FB app

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Am I nuts or did they remove the setting to lock screen orientation? Not showing up under Display which is also where the search charm takes me.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

First (leaked) reviews are out from the Verge.

Verdict? Surface 2: 7.1. Pro 2: 7.8.

The low scores seem to be almost entirely based on the ecosystem situation. Reading the actual reviews, they seem generally positive on the devices except for that, which is frustrating.

Someone helpfully saved the text during the 2 minutes they were accidentally online and reposted it:

Surface 2: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86810818&postcount=383
Pro 2: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86810521&postcount=380

Nevermind, the full reviews are on the site now.

David Pierce did the S2 and Tom Warren did the Pro 2.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 21, 2013

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

i am not so sure posted:

Twitter takes loving forever to launch on my RT. Might be something Twitter did to their API?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Eggnogium posted:

Am I nuts or did they remove the setting to lock screen orientation? Not showing up under Display which is also where the search charm takes me.

Check the brightness slider. At the top of it there is a toggle button for orientation lock. I've never done it the other way. I did encounter a bug with 8.1 Preview where occasionally the setting would disappear until I rebooted (which thankfully takes less than 10 seconds).

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

CharlesM posted:

Check the brightness slider. At the top of it there is a toggle button for orientation lock. I've never done it the other way. I did encounter a bug with 8.1 Preview where occasionally the setting would disappear until I rebooted (which thankfully takes less than 10 seconds).

Perfect! Pretty obscure but actually fairly convenient once you know where it is.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any idea how to get my old lockscreen image back? It was stored to my Microsoft account as it appeared both on my desktop and on my Surface but upgrading it to 8.1 changed it without asking.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Rent posted:

No idea on Twitter, but they just released a real FB app

I can't download it because my system lacks the minimum requirements. I know that's not true, so I'm not sure.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

i am not so sure posted:

I can't download it because my system lacks the minimum requirements. I know that's not true, so I'm not sure.

You need to be running Windows 8.1 to download the new FB app.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Oh... then forget it, I need one for Windows 8.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

wookieepelt posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, but they don't seem to help, it just took me to the store, which then went blank. I tried to do a recovery, but I got an error message saying some files are missing. My windows installer or recovery media should provide the files. And my recovery USB is apparently invalid.

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-rt-80-recovery-image

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Whats retarded is why they couldn't have posted this a long time ago, like a year ago.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

i am not so sure posted:

Oh... then forget it, I need one for Windows 8.

Facebook.com works incredibly well. Do you not want to upgrade to 8.1 for some reason?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
It's impossible to buy a surface 2 here (Belgium), sold out everywhere. Is it the case in the US and other places ?

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009

Spatule posted:

It's impossible to buy a surface 2 here (Belgium), sold out everywhere. Is it the case in the US and other places ?

They're always out of stock here in the U.S. as well. I guess after over manufacturing the original Surface they got skittish and way underestimated the demand for Surface 2.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Aaaaand they are gone from the website of a very large local electronics/PC shops.
I'll have a look next time I travel to other parts of the world, but this sucks.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Thank you Microsoft for writing Surface only on the Surface 2 itself and on its packaging... Made for some good deal.
That thing is awesome for business by the way: all you need to work on the go (office in my case, with Citrix sand remote desktop, Lync and Skype), in a super light package with great battery life that wakes up and sleeps instantly. So much faster and convenient than my 7pounds W7 HP Probook.
The only thing I miss is a decent case that does not render the kickstand useless. Anything available ?
On paper the Asus t100 looked better, but in the flesh it is a cheap looking flimsy thing in the vein of their crappiest netbooks. The Surface's finish on the other hand is extremely nice. It feels really really high quality. And that full HD screen is gorgeous for reading the news.
I also made a sales presentation tool with MS Siena in just a few hours that looks ridiculously slick and polished and I'm looking at selling it to my company. They paid untold amounts for something similar running on normal Windows...
Not RT related, but I could never go back to a non touchscreen laptop, especially for note taking and presentations on the go.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm 100% satisfied with my Surface 2.

I also admit I'm an edge case :shrug:

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm 100% satisfied with my Surface 2.

I also admit I'm an edge case :shrug:

Sounds like you're a Surface 2 Pro.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

MrSaturn posted:

Sounds like you're a Surface 2 Pro.

:haw:

But seriously, I needed something that was light and portable and I could use a full version of Office on. The fact I could use it as a tablet to browse the internet and read Kindle books was icing on the cake.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love my Surface but have had my share of complaints that have mostly been addressed (added Outlook & WiFi doesn't crash all the time now). My remaining one is that IE can be slow and sometimes buggy. Does anyone else have this issue? It is a first-gen Surface.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

CharlesM posted:

I love my Surface but have had my share of complaints that have mostly been addressed (added Outlook & WiFi doesn't crash all the time now). My remaining one is that IE can be slow and sometimes buggy. Does anyone else have this issue? It is a first-gen Surface.

I particularly love it when IE decides to randomly stop allowing you to select different tabs.

I have a weird thing with my Surface (original, RT). I use it to a ridiculous degree, but I've got to admit it only does three things remotely well: browse the internet, edit Office documents and play videos. Thing is, I've also discovered that's like 90% of what I use a computer for. I now go weeks without booting up my desktop. Still can't really recommend it to others though. Mainly because I've gone through periods of hating the stupid thing for some of its idiosyncrasies.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Daduzi posted:

I particularly love it when IE decides to randomly stop allowing you to select different tabs.

I have a weird thing with my Surface (original, RT). I use it to a ridiculous degree, but I've got to admit it only does three things remotely well: browse the internet, edit Office documents and play videos. Thing is, I've also discovered that's like 90% of what I use a computer for. I now go weeks without booting up my desktop. Still can't really recommend it to others though. Mainly because I've gone through periods of hating the stupid thing for some of its idiosyncrasies.

To what idiosyncrasies do you refer?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Holy lol, two months and not a single post in this thread? Can we officially stick a fork in Windows RT yet? Does anyone have and still use a Surface RT?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Holy lol, two months and not a single post in this thread? Can we officially stick a fork in Windows RT yet? Does anyone have and still use a Surface RT?

It would be way better to close down some of these Microsoft threads, so discussion could actually be a little more focused and you didn't have to guess where to post something.

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003
I thought the sporadic RT discussion got rolled into the general Windows 8.1 tablets thread.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mod sassinator posted:

I dropped mine and it stopped working. :( I would still be using it otherwise, yes.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
After the latest updates my Surface 2 is finally usable (the battery doesn't self discharge in a day anymore).
Does everything I need, is small and light... no complaints except the lack of cases.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have a surface rt and its just swell for internet, forums, and YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Ugh a coworker got mad at me when I tried explaining to her why her used Surface 1 was so cheap compared to my Asus t100. She was giving me crap for spending more on an "inferior-looking" product and when I went onto explain that my machine is running Windows 8 and not RT, her eyes glazed over and she replied with "yeah I like to compare prices before I buy that's why I got a good deal and you didn't".

Granted, she'd never know whether she was running either/or because all she does is media and office, but still.

gently caress you Microsoft and your sneaky, bullshit way of marketing RT.

• Locked thread