Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

benitocereno posted:

For what it's worth, depending on what you need they can be pretty great machines. My staff uses them for a web-based application and prefers them over the ipads and android tablets we tried (the kickstand makes a great wedge to put your hand in if you use them while standing up or walking). Absolutely not a Window 7/8 pro replacement, but they're nice tablets.

Yeah, basically things they're good for:

Office
Web browsing
Media playing

Things they're bad at:

Everything else

It can be surprising how little you need" everything else", though, especially if you already have a PC. For interview purposes it would probably work great, I used mine for recording exams and randomising questions and it did it really well.

Having said that, I've now got an Asus Transformer and holy hell it's nice to install things again. And use Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Don Lapre posted:

Silverlight is abandoned.
Would be nice of Microsoft to tell everyone that

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Microsoft please make me CEO so we can avoid these idiotic mistakes in the future.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Another month and the RT still languishes. They really need to kill the poor thing off for good soon. Intel is heavily subsidizing cheap Atom processors and pushing them to new Windows tablets that run real Windows and not RT. The Nexus 9 and new iPad Air 2 just make the Surface RTs look like a chunky joke. The 16:9 form factor in particular is just weird on a big tablet and has been abandoned by pretty much everyone else. Even Amazon's Fire HDX tablets look like a better purchase than a Surface RT these days.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Am I right in thinking that Microsoft will kill off RT with W10? From what I understand (which isn't much admittedly), Windows 10 might essentially be in 3 flavours: Desktop, Tablet and Phone. Of course, for all I know, Microsoft could still be dragging RT kicking and screaming into the new version so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mod sassinator posted:

They really need to kill the poor thing off for good soon.

How can they kill it off harder than it already has died?

No one is making hardware for it, it's effectively dead.

• Locked thread