Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
My university has a deal with Microsoft that I can get a 32GB Surface RT with Touch Keyboard for $249. That seems like a great deal to me. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I already have a Thinkpad x120e with Windows 7 that I absolutely love.

I was thinking of it as a secondary machine or for my wife so she'll stop stealing my laptop, and she only needs Skype, Office, and streaming video.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, I went by the Microsoft Store today, and with my university discount, snagged a Surface RT 32GB for $214. I like it ok especially for that price, but I didn't get either of the keyboard covers for it, and I'm still on my x120e typing this post.

My wife is using it now, and her being a new tablet user, she is not in love with the on-screen keyboard, but it's working fine for her to browse the web and Skype(which worked great, and was better quality than my x120e).

She is also new to Windows 8 and is still learning how to navigate it. I may go back next week and get the Touch Cover for $49.99 if she decides she cannot learn the on-screen keyboard.

EDIT: I should say that even with this great discount, the sales staff had no idea what I was talking about when I said my university had a bigger discount than the current sale of $349. They had to make a couple of calls before they would give me the $199 price. It made me think that not many people are taking advantage of this special sale at all and it started June 17th. I'm going to spread the word around campus and maybe they'll get more sales.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 25, 2013

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

waffle posted:

Is this a specific university thing or a general education discount? I wouldn't mind picking one up for $200 to play around with, but I haven't been able to find anything at my university like this.

From what I can tell, it's a deal with the University System of Georgia.

http://www.srs.usg.edu/07-10-13-Microsoft-Surface-for-Education-limited-time-offer-for-faculty-staff

I emailed that guy and asked if I can make a personal purchase and not have to fill out the form posted there(that's specifically for purchase by the school itself) and he said yes and forwarded me on to the Microsoft Store in Atlanta.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I just got a form email from a generic Microsoft account explicitly saying the same thing you guys just said, so it looks like one sales guy was just being a bit too zealous.

I wasn't trying to be weird about it either, as I clearly asked them that I want to buy it for personal use with my own credit card. Well, I'll keep it under my hat then, as I was about to email my whole department at my school about the deal, thinking I was doing Microsoft a favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I still don't see the update in the Store. I'm on a Surface RT, never got the preview 8.1. I've updated fully in Windows Update but nothing on Store coming up. Tried going directly to the link above and it just takes me to the front of the Store but no 8.1 RT update.

• Locked thread