Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Beve Stuscemi posted:

did the embargo lift on the Fuji X100VI today? My youtube feed is full of it this morning.

I checked my pockets, but I dont have a spare $1600 in them :smith:

Watched Kai's video and that man is supremely talented at making a 15 minute video about cameras without saying or showing absolutely anything about cameras

x100VI seems like a fine if unexciting upgrade. No brainer pick if you're buying new, but easy skip if you have the previous model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'd get a Fuji XT-3 used ($900 KEH) and a used 70-300 ($800). It's not exactly cheap but it is below the $2k mark by a bit. You could toss in a teleconverter also for a little extra range.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Southern Cassowary posted:

so i often pull out my smartphone to take pictures of birds when i'm on the kayak or otherwise outdoors and it is woefully unsuited to this task and i'd like to get a nicer camera

i'm not totally lost when it comes to interchangeable lens cameras - did a bunch of yearbook photography in high school with an old canon slr film camera and got roped into taking pictures of a few events for work and whatnot based on that - so i know i'm basically buying into a lens ecosystem and the basics of exposure but not enough to make a serious call on what to buy.

spent a chunk of the day doing research but figured i'd ask the photo nerds also - if you were going to spend...2-3k usd to get setup for bird photography, where would you go? have been eyeballing a canon r7+the 100-400 but i'm open-minded to pretty much any brand, second hand, whatever. i can pretend i'd use this camera for other stuff but 99% of it is going to be getting sick action shots of egrets and i am mostly interested in getting the best results for that. good weather sealing to handle use on the kayak would be a major plus.

Beyond Micro Four Thirds, you could check out used Nikon F-mount gear using a crop sensor camera (D500 or D7500) as your body, and the wealth of F-mount telephoto options. The 300mm f/4 PF with one of those cameras would still be competitive with a modern mirrorless setup for size and weight when you're out on the kayak.

Above all else, you should rent the systems you're interested in before committing to one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm having a bag/storage crisis at the moment and need suggestions for any brands or models I might be overlooking. I changed up my kit a bit and my previous solution of a camera cube in a normal backpack is no longer cutting it for flights and short trips.

Kit:

2 canon bodies
24-70 2.8
50 1.2
70-200 2.8
hotshoe flash
accessory bag (fits in about the same size as a hotshoe flash)

Needs:

Good organization without being bulky or taking up the whole bag. I mostly travel with one bag including camera gear, so I need space for a few rolled up clothing items and a small toiletry bag.

Backpack style, no rollers or messengers.

14" laptop compartment

Tripod holder/water bottle sleeve would be a nice to have but not required

Ease of access in TSA line would also be great

Bags I've tried: Peak Design 30L everyday, Think Tank Retrospective, Manfrotto Pro Light, Wandrd Provoke (don't know which size it was)

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Godzilla07 posted:

Beyond Micro Four Thirds, you could check out used Nikon F-mount gear using a crop sensor camera (D500 or D7500) as your body, and the wealth of F-mount telephoto options. The 300mm f/4 PF with one of those cameras would still be competitive with a modern mirrorless setup for size and weight when you're out on the kayak.

Above all else, you should rent the systems you're interested in before committing to one.

used slrs were something i was thinking about because of all the secondhand lenses but i was concerned about buying into a lens ecosystem with no new lenses coming out and then having to futz with adapters if i wanted to upgrade to mirrorless later. also been eyeballing sony mirrorless because i like how they open up e mount to third parties so i can get sigma/tamron stuff - getting something like a used a9, a7iv, or a7riv.

honestly the rental thing was confirming something i've been thinking which is that every option is viable and has tradeoffs and i need to directly put hands on equipment somehow. i was looking at this as an option to test stuff but the places i googled up were like 200 bucks to rent a camera and a lens for a week. where are the suggested places to rent stuff, and is there anything cheaper than that or is around 200 for camera+lens just market value?

was thinking about finding good local camera stores and seeing if i can hold and try stuff there, too.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I am looking at a webpage where they sell a new Leica M6, with warranty. Only 5000€. Not too bad, I think. Please help.

I have too many film cameras, but they are all old, none of them work right and hard/impossible to service these days.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Southern Cassowary posted:

used slrs were something i was thinking about because of all the secondhand lenses but i was concerned about buying into a lens ecosystem with no new lenses coming out and then having to futz with adapters if i wanted to upgrade to mirrorless later.

There's no need for new lenses on canon or nikon DSLRs because they have decades of every possible lens available. And adapters are a non-issue and the lenses perform even better on the mirrorless bodies if you upgrade in the future. I think the dslr route would be your best bet for near best performance/quality without paying top dollar. That has the best pros with the least cons IMO.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm having a bag/storage crisis at the moment and need suggestions for any brands or models I might be overlooking. I changed up my kit a bit and my previous solution of a camera cube in a normal backpack is no longer cutting it for flights and short trips.

Kit:

2 canon bodies
24-70 2.8
50 1.2
70-200 2.8
hotshoe flash
accessory bag (fits in about the same size as a hotshoe flash)

Needs:

Good organization without being bulky or taking up the whole bag. I mostly travel with one bag including camera gear, so I need space for a few rolled up clothing items and a small toiletry bag.

14" laptop compartment

Bags I've tried: Peak Design 30L everyday, Think Tank Retrospective, Manfrotto Pro Light, Wandrd Provoke (don't know which size it was)

Peak Design Travel 45 L with the large camera cube? In expanded mode or even normal mode you should for sure be able to fit some rolled up clothes and a toiletry bag even though the large cube technically takes up all three zones. I think their video on the cube and zone system walks through that.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Ihmemies posted:

I am looking at a webpage where they sell a new Leica M6, with warranty. Only 5000€. Not too bad, I think. Please help.

I have too many film cameras, but they are all old, none of them work right and hard/impossible to service these days.

You could go through like 4 to 6 minolta cles for that price. I feel like digital is the only place leica bodies make sense

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Ihmemies posted:

if you want a metered rangefinder body get a Bessa R2 or one of the other M-mount Bessas. Then buy a voigtlander lens in your preferred focal length

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Ihmemies posted:

If you really want a leica quality rangefinder get a Zeiss Ikon ZM. Its like an M7 with more features for half the money.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I don't care about quality that much. I'm just so sick of old and used cameras which are out of warranty and don't work anymore. A camera which has a guarantee, and a manufacturer which will most likely service any camera they made "forever", would give a peace of mind that I don't have to think about broken poo poo or how to get it fixed. The Zeiss and Bessa cameras are all old I think too, 10+ years old at least today.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You can always use an Argus C3 which is simple as, well, a brick and can be repaired using stuff from your kitchen drawer.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

I don't care about quality that much. I'm just so sick of old and used cameras which are out of warranty and don't work anymore. A camera which has a guarantee, and a manufacturer which will most likely service any camera they made "forever", would give a peace of mind that I don't have to think about broken poo poo or how to get it fixed. The Zeiss and Bessa cameras are all old I think too, 10+ years old at least today.

Mechanical Leicas can probably be serviced for decades to come. I had no trouble getting an M3 from the 50s serviced including some parts replaced.

The newer M6 is probably good to go for a long time too, but the older one apparently has an issue with some circuit board for the meter no longer being available. I like built in meters but if I was wanting one I'd get a newer model or just stick to external (shoe mount) meters.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Ihmemies posted:

I heard through the grapevine that Cosina, the manufacturer of both the modern Bessa and Zeiss Ikon ZM lines, fabricated a ton of parts during the lifetime of both cameras (they both use common parts) so finding someone to repair the cameras isn't a problem (Zeiss and Cosina still service them too).

But anyway, buy a ZM.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Can anyone explain the Sony a7siii to me? Like people say things about how it has great low light performance etc but then it has half the megapixels of my ten year old dslr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It has a pixel pitch of 8.36 microns, which is enormous. Big huge buckets to collect light.

Like the canon R5 has a pitch of 4.38 microns. Fuji's GFX100 has 3.76.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

googling "a7siii" returns like 90% results about video, so I presume that it's popular because 12mp gets you 4k + overhead for software stabilization, with big ole light buckets and and lower cost to making it back illuminated

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Can anyone explain the Sony a7siii to me? Like people say things about how it has great low light performance etc but then it has half the megapixels of my ten year old dslr

The Sony S line is heavily geared towards video use. You get 4k 20, great AF and low light, and a bigger battery for longer shooting.

Lower megapixel counts on the same full frame sensor size perform better in low light because of the pixel count. Bigger pixels catch more light, more pixels catch more detail. Same reason the r6 is better in low light than the r5 at ~half the MP.

The Sony FX6 and Canon C70 Netflix approved cinema cameras are similarly low megapixel counts at 12 and 8 respectively.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Okay, I think I've mostly made a decision but I want to run it by y'all.

Currently, I have a d750 and a selection of f mount lenses that are shared with my f5. As much as I try to get out and do photography for artistic sake, realistically 99% of my pictures are of my kids, my kids' friends, and kids' activities like dance, karate, etc.... Lately I've been disappointed in 2-3 things:

1. Reliability: my f mount lenses are old and I'm having issues with things like failing focus motors. This is probably the least of my complaints and probably partially because I stick to lenses compatible with my F5

2-3. Autofocus and low light: autofocus speed and reliability isn't great, and in low light is almost unusable. This has been a problem, for instance, taking pictures in my kids' room at night under dim artificial light. And even ignoring autofocus, at 2.8, I'm hitting low shutter speeds and getting camera shake

I'm looking at mirrorless, since I think it should fix these through some combination of newer better lenses, better autofocus systems, better low light performance(?), and stabilization. Feel free to push back on any of this though.

Assuming I'm on the right track, I've been looking at options and think I've narrowed it down to the Sony a7iv or Canon EOS R6ii. I'm really only concerned with still photography, but I suppose video is nice to have and it seems like everybody is focusing on hybrids anyway. I've narrowed it down to these mostly on the strength of autofocus/tracking and I'm leaning slightly towards the Sony because of slightly better autofocus(?) and availability of third party lenses.

Anyway, I want to know if this all sounds reasonable, if there's anything I'm missing, or any alternatives y'all would suggest looking into

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Assuming I'm on the right track, I've been looking at options and think I've narrowed it down to the Sony a7iv or Canon EOS R6ii. I'm really only concerned with still photography, but I suppose video is nice to have and it seems like everybody is focusing on hybrids anyway. I've narrowed it down to these mostly on the strength of autofocus/tracking and I'm leaning slightly towards the Sony because of slightly better autofocus(?) and availability of third party lenses.

I think Sony and Canon are pretty much neck and neck for autofocus at the moment. Third party lenses are a big sticking point, but I think there are different sides to the issue. Sony E-Mount is over 10 years old so they have the time advantage. On Canon's side, what they've put out for RF so far has generally been excellent and they've been coming out with some really interesting stuff. You can also adapt all the EF lenses with native support so you can also go through their entire back catalog as well.

Another factor to consider is ergonomics/UI, which you're really gonna need to get your hands on the actual cameras to compare, but generally speaking Sony's menus are famously bad. Their bodies are a mixed bag, it seems like they try to make their bodies as compact as possible which is nice on form factor but doesn't leave much room for your hands. I think Canon puts a lot of work into their ergonomics, tiny bodies aside, I've never held a Canon that didn't just feel right in my hands.

Third option, Nikon is supposedly launching the Z6 III some time this year which will of course allow you to easily carry over whatever is left alive in your F collection. Judging from the reviews of the Zf, which is supposedly the Z6 II.5ish under the retro veneer, people have high hopes for it.

I honestly don't think there's a bad choice of system for mirrorless right now.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm going to try to go into a store and handle a couple to see how they feel.

Re: Nikon, that was definitely my immediate first choice, but I saw a good bit of chatter online about the focusing through the FTZ adapter being slower than native F focusing, which sounds miserable. Plus, only a couple of my lenses are AF-S so that's not much compatible glass. Not to mention, Nikon just doesn't seem to be in the conversation with autofocus, though maybe it's just hype

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The z8 and 9 are apparently. It's just the older bodies like the z6iii arnt.

The Zf AutoFocus got pretty well reviewed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The ZF autofocus is world class and easily as good if not better than the r5/6/7. Can’t speak to Sony. That’s interesting that the F lenses don’t perform as well adapted, Canon EF lenses focus faster and more accurately adapted than on DSLRs.

Sony if you have interest in video as well and want access to the most native lenses now.

Canon if you want the best (and some unique to RF) lenses at both a price and weight/size premium.

Nikon if you want a rock solid system at very competitive pricing (ZF specifically).

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Plus, only a couple of my lenses are AF-S so that's not much compatible glass.

Good news then, thanks to the wonders of modern on-sensor focus detection, manual lenses are now back on the menu.

Not to mention, Nikon just doesn't seem to be in the conversation with autofocus, though maybe it's just hype

Nikon were very slow out of the gate with autofocus but they're catching up now. The Z8 and Z9, as mentioned above, apparently set a new standard for Nikon so there's a been a lot of hype for everything they've been producing since then.

I'm fairly invested in Canon at this point but if Nikon ever take another serious look at APS-C, I might have trouble keeping my wallet closed...

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The issues with focus speed on the FTZ adapter were really issues with the first-gen Z cameras. Those issues have been resolved with the current-gen Z cameras.

https://youtu.be/Y0GACItDhkg

I think you'd be fine going back a generation on the Sony bodies (A7 III, A7R III, A9, A7C) in the used market if you want to throw more money at lenses. It seems like all the improvements in the latest Sony cameras are all on the video side, which won't make much difference to you if you only shoot photos.

The Canon RF lens situation was a dealbreaker for me when I was looking at new systems. With Canon RF full-frame, it feels like there's a missing middle of lenses to sit in between the kit-level lenses, and the back and wallet-busting pro glass. And you can't get anything nicer than a kit zoom for the RF crop sensor cameras. Canon has not yet filled in these gaps themselves, and they have banned Sigma and Tamron from making lenses that'd fill in these gaps as well. It's a shame since the cameras are pretty good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canon was slated to open third party lenses last fall. Not sure how that played out, but we sure aren't seeing any results from it yet.

But it is coming. Their first party RF lens lineup is definitely getting better, lots of weird options and holes still but it is improving.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
God drat it now y'all have me thinking that maybe the z8 is reasonable off the back of the money I'll save sticking with Nikon...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

But it is coming. Their first party RF lens lineup is definitely getting better, lots of weird options and holes still but it is improving.

Only thing missing is a wide + fast L prime. The 10-20 L is great for super wide, but it's f4. Can't believe the fast 24/35 is still not even announced (the 35 1.8 is a great holdover thoguh). The prime trinity of 35/50/85 should have been released as fast as the zoom trinity. Also want to see a 20 or wider, as the cheapo 16 2.8 is pretty good too but I know an L lens will get crazy (like the rumored 12/14mm 1.2).

Other than those holes though, RF lineup is killer. The 28-70 f2, 24-105 2.8, and 100-300 2.8 are all incredible not only in coverage but also performance. They're just now rolling out RF cinema lenses too, which are doing similarly great things. I think at this rate, RF will go down as one of the all time great mounts which is what keeps me on Canon (along with the bodies already being great)

God drat it now y'all have me thinking that maybe the z8 is reasonable off the back of the money I'll save sticking with Nikon...

Get the ZF with the 40mm pancake and use the extra 1800 towards a killer lens of your choice! Unless you really need the extra megapixels or hate the ZF styling I can't see a reason to go for the 8.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 27, 2024

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

With the new firmware update AF is even better, it gets a bird specific subject detection mode, and it gets a few pixel shift options as well. The Z8 isn't cheap but it's a ridiculously good camera. You get the high framerate, high resolution, 8k video and overall stellar performance in one single package.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I’m all in on Sony, and it’s great

But if I had to do it all over again I’d have a Nikon body. Handling is much better, viewfinders are nicer

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bear in mind the Z8 has no mechanical shutter at all if that’s a consideration for you, but I’ve heard it’s an excellent camera regardless

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

RillAkBea posted:

Bear in mind the Z8 has no mechanical shutter at all if that’s a consideration for you, but I’ve heard it’s an excellent camera regardless

No mechanical shutter but a sensor readout speed of something like 3.6ms.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Only thing missing is a wide + fast L prime. The 10-20 L is great for super wide, but it's f4. Can't believe the fast 24/35 is still not even announced (the 35 1.8 is a great holdover thoguh). The prime trinity of 35/50/85 should have been released as fast as the zoom trinity. Also want to see a 20 or wider, as the cheapo 16 2.8 is pretty good too but I know an L lens will get crazy (like the rumored 12/14mm 1.2).

Other than those holes though, RF lineup is killer. The 28-70 f2, 24-105 2.8, and 100-300 2.8 are all incredible not only in coverage but also performance. They're just now rolling out RF cinema lenses too, which are doing similarly great things. I think at this rate, RF will go down as one of the all time great mounts which is what keeps me on Canon (along with the bodies already being great)

Get the ZF with the 40mm pancake and use the extra 1800 towards a killer lens of your choice! Unless you really need the extra megapixels or hate the ZF styling I can't see a reason to go for the 8.

don't think anyone was trying to suggest they didn't have enough lenses in the $2500-$20000 range lol

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

don't think anyone was trying to suggest they didn't have enough lenses in the $2500-$20000 range lol

They've filled out their non-L line already though. They had the cheap 35/50/85s out early and they're great. The 16 and 24 primes are really good for the price too. They have cool stuff that performs well like the 28 pancake, the 100-400, etc. There's a non-L 24-105 and the f4 L lenses at 1200-1500 are some of the best value out their for pro lenses if you don't need speed. What are they missing on the low end?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

My reservation is that I can't find anything about the autofocus speed on the zf with the ztf unlike the z8

e: cuz I do like the styling of the zf

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Needs:

14" laptop compartment

Take a look at Gura Gear and Shimoda.

Gura Gear Kiboko comes in a few different sizes, inserts are built-in (and so not removable), good build quality. Laptop sleeve varies based on specific model.

Shimoda bags generally have frames, so there's more sturdiness but also more weight, and they have removable inserts. Good quality, good support if you're carrying more stuff, but can get bulky. I like the roll-tops. Bunch of different sizes and colors, two main product lines.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That Shimoda Urban line looks like an improvement on the Peak bags in every way, I might try to wait for those to release and make do in the mean time. Thanks for the heads up

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Those do look pretty dang nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

My reservation is that I can't find anything about the autofocus speed on the zf with the ztf unlike the z8

e: cuz I do like the styling of the zf

I'd bet that the Zf is nearly identical to the Z8 and Z9 since it uses the same processor as those two cameras.

Definitely pick up a Zf in-person before you commit to see if you can live with the old-school handling that goes along with the old-school looks. FWIW if you're cool with the dials and button placement but just need a bigger grip, there's a number of add-on grips for the Zf.