Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I would like to buy a polarizing filter for my GF1's lenses. From reading the first post in this thread I believe I need a circular polarizing filter.

Is this the right one? http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-67mm-Super-Filter-Japan/dp/B003QSG6SS/

Here is the 52mm, which is quite a bit cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-DHG-Polarizer-CPL-52mm/dp/B003LCKN24/

The two lenses I have use 46mm and 52mm threads. Doing a quick search, the largest m4/3 threading size I noticed was 67mm.

I think I may get the 52mm since it will cover my current lenses and who knows if/when I will get others.

Am I on the right track here? Can anyone recommend 'step-down" rings? I am aiming for cheap, if you haven't noticed.

Well, the OP is not entirely correct; you need a step-up ring to adapt a bigger filter to a smaller lens thread. Step-down rings are the opposite, where you want to stick a smaller filter on a lens with a bigger thread diameter--usually not a good idea because of vignetting.

Personally I chose to have a set of different size polarizers so I can use my lenses with their hoods; if you use step-up rings you want to make sure to have a hood that fits the polarizer's threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natrapx
Jan 13, 2010

The x is for xenogamy
Hey guys, i've been stupid and have planned a 3 week holiday to the states, flying out on Saturday and I only have one battery and no car charger.

The particular camera (Canon EOS 450D) I have uses the LP-E5 battery, and so if anyone could point me in the direction of a place in LA where I may get a spare battery and car charger in that area, it would be very much appreciated! And if you know prices for that sort of thing, that would be pretty swell.

(Edit: This may seem like a stupid question, but seeing as i'm from the UK, the only store I really know of is Best Buy, and I've heard pretty bad things about the place in the past. I'd quite like to pop into a proper camera shop if I get the chance!)

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Can anyone recommend any photo gear sites other than the usual "Big 3" (B&H, Adorama, KEH) that may have LEE filter products in stock? I was able to get the ND-grads and adapter rings I needed from B&H, but the filter holder itself as well as the 4x4 polarizer are out of stock absolutely everywhere it seems.

Still waiting on my D800 as well. I sure know how to pick the low-demand products, don't I? :downs:

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

PBio posted:

Hey guys, i've been stupid and have planned a 3 week holiday to the states, flying out on Saturday and I only have one battery and no car charger.

The particular camera (Canon EOS 450D) I have uses the LP-E5 battery, and so if anyone could point me in the direction of a place in LA where I may get a spare battery and car charger in that area, it would be very much appreciated! And if you know prices for that sort of thing, that would be pretty swell.

(Edit: This may seem like a stupid question, but seeing as i'm from the UK, the only store I really know of is Best Buy, and I've heard pretty bad things about the place in the past. I'd quite like to pop into a proper camera shop if I get the chance!)

Sammy's Camera are around in various places in LA and should have what you need.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PBio posted:

You won't have access to regular mains plugs either?
Modern chargers tend to take any voltage and AC frequency so you just need a suitable cable/plug converter. (My Nikon charger says 100-240V ~ 50-60 Hz, i.e. "any commonly used AC system.")

Natrapx
Jan 13, 2010

The x is for xenogamy

nielsm posted:

You won't have access to regular mains plugs either?
Modern chargers tend to take any voltage and AC frequency so you just need a suitable cable/plug converter. (My Nikon charger says 100-240V ~ 50-60 Hz, i.e. "any commonly used AC system.")

Yes but i'm not sure how often, its a tour company holiday but 95% of it is going to be camping. Most of the time i'll have access to power will be through the minibus charger ports.

tijag posted:

Sammy's Camera are around in various places in LA and should have what you need.

Thanks, i'll have a look for those when i'm there. I'm going to try get everything I need tomorrow before I go, but my local camera shop is a bit poo poo.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

PBio posted:

Sammy's is good, I also like Bel-Air Superstore in Westwood: http://www.belaircamera.com/

Good luck trying to find a Canon branded LP-E5 at Best Buy - I've only ever seen overpriced generics there.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

PBio posted:

Yes but i'm not sure how often, its a tour company holiday but 95% of it is going to be camping. Most of the time i'll have access to power will be through the minibus charger ports.

Thanks, i'll have a look for those when i'm there. I'm going to try get everything I need tomorrow before I go, but my local camera shop is a bit poo poo.

TrekAmerica, by chance?

Natrapx
Jan 13, 2010

The x is for xenogamy

Rontalvos posted:

TrekAmerica, by chance?

Yep, doing the Rocky Mountain High trip, LA->Seattle. Only 3 days before I fly out now! Cant wait to get the camera out there!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, the OP is not entirely correct; you need a step-up ring to adapt a bigger filter to a smaller lens thread. Step-down rings are the opposite, where you want to stick a smaller filter on a lens with a bigger thread diameter--usually not a good idea because of vignetting.

Personally I chose to have a set of different size polarizers so I can use my lenses with their hoods; if you use step-up rings you want to make sure to have a hood that fits the polarizer's threads.

Yeah, I figured out that step-down and step-up rings are different before I purchased :p.

My not so fancy lenses don't have hoods!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Yeah, I figured out that step-down and step-up rings are different before I purchased :p.

My not so fancy lenses don't have hoods!

Every lens should have a hood. Wish all manufacturers (looking at you, Canon and Olympus) included the hood instead of charging rear end-raping prices for them separately. You would think they have an interest in ensuring the buyer gets the best possible pictures out of the thing, so why skimp on a dollar's worth of plastic that actually helps image quality? Fuckers.

On a gear note, picked up this:
http://www.ghilliesuitwarehouse.com/products/CamoSystems-Jackal-Ghillie-Suit.html

Should be a little more portable than my bag hide.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 5, 2012

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Lens hoods also bounce when the lens goes face first into things.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Beastruction posted:

Lens hoods also bounce when the lens goes face first into things.

That too. It blows my mind when I see people (just went to Legoland in Denmark with my daughter, lots of examples there) shoot with the following combo: Camera, lens, REVERSED lens hood, cheap poo poo "protective" filter.

Yeah, explain that one.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've got one of those cheapy knock-off battery-grips. The controls seem okay, but it's made of that horrible plastic that feels like it will shatter if you squeeze it too hard.

Is there any type of tape or self-adhesive covering that will give a rubbery/leathery effect?

I'm tempted to use duck tape, except it's too shiny and the edges will weep glue.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

spog posted:

I've got one of those cheapy knock-off battery-grips. The controls seem okay, but it's made of that horrible plastic that feels like it will shatter if you squeeze it too hard.

Is there any type of tape or self-adhesive covering that will give a rubbery/leathery effect?

I'm tempted to use duck tape, except it's too shiny and the edges will weep glue.

Try some gaffer's tape; every photographer should own a roll anyway.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd look for some actual grip tape--gaffer's tape, at least the stuff I have, isn't super grippy. I've only used it on handguns but I'm sure it'd work well for a camera too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

powderific posted:

I'd look for some actual grip tape--gaffer's tape, at least the stuff I have, isn't super grippy. I've only used it on handguns but I'm sure it'd work well for a camera too.

Isn't grip tape the stuff they put on skateboards and feels like sandpaper?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess I was thinking about stuff like hockey tape or something else more rubberized, but it looks like "grip tape" does usually mean the sandpaper stuff. Which I wouldn't recommend, ha.

edit: something like this: http://www.kofflersales.com/p/bath-shower-anti-slip-tape.asp

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Speaking of grips, I'm looking to buy one for my T2i but I don't want to pay $220 for the Canon version. Can anyone recommend a decent, 3rd-party, chinese knock-off?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Try some gaffer's tape; every photographer should own a roll anyway.
Or grip tape. Or deck tape (and wear gloves every time you pick it up).

spog posted:

Isn't grip tape the stuff they put on skateboards and feels like sandpaper?
That's deck.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 5, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

IceLicker posted:

Speaking of grips, I'm looking to buy one for my T2i but I don't want to pay $220 for the Canon version. Can anyone recommend a decent, 3rd-party, chinese knock-off?

Zeikos grip, maybe? I've heard good things about their d5000 version, probably going to order one tonight.

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-NBG5000-Battery-Nikon-D5000/dp/B002USUDDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341528534&sr=8-1&keywords=d5000+grip (links to the d5000 one, but the t2i is an option on that page).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

IceLicker posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Battery-Vertical-Batteries-Digital/dp/B003VQOT66/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1341528886&sr=8-4&keywords=t2i+grip

I have this, and it generally works great (and it comes with 2 cheapo batteries that should last you hundreds of exposures.

Once in a while it locks the AF point selector and zoom buttons on the body (but they still work on the grip). I don't know if this is a defect in the grip or if the grip and the Magic Lantern firmware don't play nice, but pulling the battery and restarting seems to fix it.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I just had a ton of gear stolen from my car, and I could use a small favor. I'm attempting to gather a list of serial numbers of the missing items for police reports, insurance claims, etc., but I'm missing a few. Would anybody with a Sony NEX-3 mind comparing the sticker on the box with the serial number on the camera, to confirm which of these numbers (if any) is the actual serial number?

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

IceLicker posted:

I have a Meike grip I bought last summer for $25 and it's been working flawlessly.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

FasterThanLight posted:

I just had a ton of gear stolen from my car, and I could use a small favor. I'm attempting to gather a list of serial numbers of the missing items for police reports, insurance claims, etc., but I'm missing a few. Would anybody with a Sony NEX-3 mind comparing the sticker on the box with the serial number on the camera, to confirm which of these numbers (if any) is the actual serial number?

From a Walkman FAQ but the sticker on the box and the serial number format is the same on my 5N
http://www.sony-asia.com/support/faq/394799

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Beastruction posted:

From a Walkman FAQ but the sticker on the box and the serial number format is the same on my 5N
http://www.sony-asia.com/support/faq/394799

Fantastic, thank you much!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Every lens should have a hood. Wish all manufacturers (looking at you, Canon and Olympus) included the hood instead of charging rear end-raping prices for them separately. You would think they have an interest in ensuring the buyer gets the best possible pictures out of the thing, so why skimp on a dollar's worth of plastic that actually helps image quality? Fuckers.

Unless I'm mis-reading you, Olympus does include hoods with their lenses.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Since we're talking about hoods anyway, I have a stupid question.

Some hoods - I've noticed it mostly on Pentax lenses, but presumably they're not unique - are petal-shaped, rather than round or rectangular. Given the point of a hood is to block bright light sources just out of frame, wouldn't it make more sense to have the corners covered, rather than uncovered? I know they set them up like that to avoid vignetting, but avoiding flare and vignetting are mutually exclusive goals in some circumstances (or so I think, like I said, stupid question).

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Petal-shaped hoods look cooler.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

ExecuDork posted:

Since we're talking about hoods anyway, I have a stupid question.

Some hoods - I've noticed it mostly on Pentax lenses, but presumably they're not unique - are petal-shaped, rather than round or rectangular. Given the point of a hood is to block bright light sources just out of frame, wouldn't it make more sense to have the corners covered, rather than uncovered? I know they set them up like that to avoid vignetting, but avoiding flare and vignetting are mutually exclusive goals in some circumstances (or so I think, like I said, stupid question).

Well, there's optical vignetting that comes from the lens elements and then there's mechanical vignetting that comes from something blocking light from hitting the lens entirely. Lens hoods have to be designed in such a way so as to not cause mechanical vignetting. They're not the cause of optical vignetting.

Optical vignetting is the stuff you try and fix in post. You get mechanical vignetting and you're poo poo out of luck.

William T. Hornaday posted:

Petal-shaped hoods look cooler.

Also, this.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 6, 2012

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

DJExile posted:

Unless I'm mis-reading you, Olympus does include hoods with their lenses.

Not m4/3 that I have seen. E.g. 45/1.8, 12/2, 75/1.8 etc.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Well, there's optical vignetting that comes from the lens elements and then there's mechanical vignetting that comes from something blocking light from hitting the lens entirely. Lens hoods have to be designed in such a way so as to not cause mechanical vignetting. They're not the cause of optical vignetting.

Optical vignetting is the stuff you try and fix in post. You get mechanical vignetting and you're poo poo out of luck.

Also, this.

Project a square onto a cone and you'll get a petal shape, so you can have a much deeper petal hood than you can a solid conical hood, allowing you too block more light without producing vignetting. The only downsides of a petal hood are that they rotate with the front element, so you need a non-rotating element (which is good for a number of other reasons) and they could theoretically be more expensive to manufacture. I would guess that in practice their production cost is not significantly higher than a circular hood, though.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

MarsellusWallace posted:

Project a square onto a cone and you'll get a petal shape

As seen towards the bottom here: http://toothwalker.org/optics/lenshood.html

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Not m4/3 that I have seen. E.g. 45/1.8, 12/2, 75/1.8 etc.

Aah.

I'm the last standing 4/3 owner and we I do at least get hoods with our my lenses. :shobon:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Cool, thanks!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I'll look at bath slip tape/matting as it must be waterproof, therefore sweatproof.

I'm getting on a bit anyway, I probably need some for my bath anyway.

evil_bunnY posted:

Or grip tape. Or deck tape (and wear gloves every time you pick it up).

That's deck.

I'll defer to your skateboarding expertise, but when I google for 'grip tape' in the UK, it only shows the sandpapery stuff. What's grip tape used for?

FasterThanLight posted:

I just had a ton of gear stolen from my car,

That sucks. Is the insurance going to cover it?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

I'll look at bath slip tape/matting as it must be waterproof, therefore sweatproof.
That's a brilliant idea TBH

By grip tape I meant the stuff they put on hockey sticks. It works on handguns but might not on cameras, where you can't tape all the way around the grip.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

That's a brilliant idea TBH

By grip tape I meant the stuff they put on hockey sticks. It works on handguns but might not on cameras, where you can't tape all the way around the grip.

I did think about the tennis racket stuff, but the ends aren't taped down are they?

Look, you can even get the safety strips in black, to match my unimaginative camera manufacturer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-BLACK-Self-Adhesive-Non-Slip-Safety-Strips-20mm-x-500mm-Grip-Tape-/330753324744

I bet this stuff would work well on tiny P&S and similar - where better friction would make holding it better.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

spog posted:

That sucks. Is the insurance going to cover it?
Hopefully, adjuster is supposed to get back to me today. I guess now that I'm no longer "invested" in the Leica system, I can actually move to some system that I can afford, and I don't have to worry about my lenses going to waste!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

FasterThanLight posted:

Hopefully, adjuster is supposed to get back to me today. I guess now that I'm no longer "invested" in the Leica system, I can actually move to some system that I can afford, and I don't have to worry about my lenses going to waste!

Half-full glass: you get to buy a bunch of new toys without emptying your pockets or feeling guilty.