Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Can anyone recommend any photo gear sites other than the usual "Big 3" (B&H, Adorama, KEH) that may have LEE filter products in stock? I was able to get the ND-grads and adapter rings I needed from B&H, but the filter holder itself as well as the 4x4 polarizer are out of stock absolutely everywhere it seems.

Still waiting on my D800 as well. I sure know how to pick the low-demand products, don't I? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Claw Massage posted:

Someone on Craigslist posted this:

500mm super telephoto lens for old style 35mm canon camera. New in box. Don't think it will work with digital. Multi coated lens for enhanced contrast. 14" long 24oz. Aperture range f8- f32 Soyo mod.# 205 carrying case for both. tripod adj. 19-49" high.

Can't find any info on the lens anywhere. Wants 35 bucks for it. Any help?

At only two pounds and an f8 max aperture it sounds like a mirror lens, which generally should be avoided for normal photography (terrible contrast, bokeh is donut-shaped, etc). Surveillance and astrophotography folks love 'em, though.

Is there a picture with it to confirm?

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

spog posted:

Aren't mirror lenses fixed aperture?

EDIT:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500mm-f-8-P...=item1c236c5f9e

I bet it is something like this.

Oh yeah, good point. You're probably right.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Anyone have any advice on how to clean LEE resin filters? These sons of bitches just will not come clean without a fight. I was at Point Reyes National Seashore yesterday, and between the fog and seawater all my filters got a bit dirty. First thing I did when I got home was soak the resin filters in warm water to get the salt spray off, but they came out of the water looking nastier than when they went in. I finally managed to get all the resin filters clean after using a ton of lens cleaner and maybe 20 pec pads per filter. Meanwhile my LEE glass filters came clean in less than 10 seconds. There has got to be a more efficient way to do this. Thoughts?

Fake Edit: I read somewhere online where a guy was only able to get his filters perfectly clean by soaking them in a bowl of isopropyl alcohol overnight. Preferably it won't come to that.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah, the salt spray dissolved in the warm water no problem, but after removing the filters they were covered in water streaks. And then cleaning the water streaks led to lens fluid streaks, which led to more streaks which led to... and so on. Like I said, I did eventually get them clean but it was quite aggravating. The glass filters just clean perfectly without any streaks, but the resin filters are a whole different beast.

And I do have a lenspen for my lenses and glass filters, but I wouldn't use it on resin filters. I'd be too afraid the charcoal/graphite powder would chew the poo poo out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Trambopaline posted:

CPL filters's. I know the advice is generally the most expensive you can afford for your largest thread size, but is this in the territory of go large (as you can) or go home, or would I not be horrified with a cheapish Praktica branded CPL fliter? It's something I've been keeping on the to do list since I have noticed that I do indeed take a largeish amount of landscapes and a reasonable amount of water and want to get one since everyone insists it's a pretty critical piece of kit, but I'm not sure I want to drop 300 dollars on one.

You can get one of the best CPLs on the market for around $75 in 77mm size. The Marumi DHG Super CPL is fantastic, inexpensive, and what I used before I moved to LEE filters. Honestly it might even be better than my $180 4x4 LEE polarizer, but it doesn't fit the filter holder. :(

http://www.lenstip.com/115.24-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Marumi_DHG_Super_Circular_P.L.D_72_mm.html

Full article:
http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Introduction.html