Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I'm in the market for a Sigma 30mm 1.4. Can I sell my 50 1.8 afterwards, or will I miss it for some reason? It's definitely awkwardly long for my purposes (walkaround and event photography).

e. I should mention that I am still missing the focus on lots of low light shots at 1.8 as it is. Is the aperture drop to 1.4 going to make this significantly worse?

Never trust a photographer who'd part with his nifty fifty.

I doubt you'd get much for a used 50/1.8 anyway, it's best to keep it since it's still a useful portrait lens on a crop body.
The 30mm will give a wider DoF at the same aperture as the 50mm, I don't think the extra half-stop will shrink it too much, but missing focus can be a combination of factors, if you're having to shoot wide open you're probably going to miss shots from time to time.
You may get some benefit from getting a camera that can shoot at a higher ISO speed, then you can stop down more (or from using a flash).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I'm a big fan of my 21mm Limited, it's pretty close to a 35mm wide angle on crop bodies. It never leaves the camera unless I really need a zoom.

It is a bit expensive but I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who likes shooting moderately wide, it's got a bit of barrel distortion and the bokeh looks a bit funky but I love it.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Extension tubes + 35mm lens = high res super quick scanner.

Only problem I'm stuck on is finding a good film holder, it needs to keep the film very flat even near the end of a strip, so I can shoot with a wider aperture and avoid the diffraction penalty.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
This is why I try to only buy primes, I'd say my DA 21mm is the best lens I've purchased since I can use it for almost everything and it's tiny.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
A while back I posted about my lovely M42 adapter that nearly got stuck on the camera, well I ordered a better one that actually worked and has infinity focus.

But it's still pretty annoying to have to put in this adapter and then screw the lens in after, so what do I do:

Remove the retaining clips from the adapter, then contact cement on the threads!

Excellent, but now it won't lock.

No worries:

Drill some pits where the mounting pin and AF screw are, perfect!

Now it mounts like a normal K-lens, infinity focus and it locks!

Quick test-shot under horrible LED lighting.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

GoldenNugget posted:

Anyone use old FD lenses with their EOS type canon DSLRs? I'm seeing that there are a few types of FD to EOS adapters and I'm curious what people's experiences with them are like.

I tried a K-mount adapter, it made the pictures significantly less sharp, probably more prone to flaring, and it had some very severe issues with apertures wider than about f/2.8 where it looked like you smeared half a gallon of vaseline on the lens. I actually used that effect when shooting a concert video, but it's not exactly good for stills.

TL;DR: Buy a EVIL camera if you want to shoot FD.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I have a Pentax 15mm f/4, and it's noticeably wider than a typical kit zoom.
I think the sweet spot may be like the Tokina 12-24 zoom or something similar, that would probably cover the entire "usable" range of wide angles.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Representing the proest filter size: 49mm :smuggo:

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm looking to get a 64GB SD card, are there any that are recomended or should be avoided? I don't want to go off of Newegg reviews because Newegg users are stupid.

I've used a Sandisk 45MB/s model for the last 9 months with no issues, pretty satisfied.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I disassembled a Helios 55mm by entering from the lens mount, reassembling the lens mount was a real pain to get the focus alignment right with the markings though.

It was fairly straight forward, maybe 3-4 major components and a few screws.

You may be able to lube it up by just removing the lens mount and getting a spray nozzle in there. I prefer PTFE+Lithium Grease, it doesn't run too much and stays in there.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I remember hearing most sites with really cheap camera deals have some kind of scam, things like battery and charger are separate, or they make you buy a shady warranty or something.

It might be alright but I'd prefer a dealer I knew for this kind of expensive might-break type of thing.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I've never used it, might work. The lens I disassembled had the optics in a mostly sealed tube inside the outer assembly, so there was no real way for it to leak.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

evil_bunnY posted:

Unless the hood's designed for it (with a cutout so you can reach the thread) using a CPL with a deep hood is an exercise in frustration.

Should have bought Pentax

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Same reason they charge an outrageous sum for the hoods in the first place.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I'm actually working on buying a full set of DA Limited primes, I have the 15 and 21 now, next will probably be the 70, since I already have a FA 35/2.

They aren't super amazing in measurements and corner sharpness and geometric distortion, but I in order don't care much, sort of like it and it's fine if you stop down and it can be corrected in post automatically.
The build quality though, I can sit for hours fondling them.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Reverse mounting some lenses like small primes (FA-35/2, for example) you won't even have working focus, since the focus system simply moves the whole lens assembly. This works if you're hand holding but makes fine focusing all but impossible when you have to move the entire tripod assembly to within fractions of an inch.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

casa de mi padre posted:

It's not compatible with my camera, sorry.

Then get the Pentax 15/4.0 or 14/2.8

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I ordered one of the eBay brand variable ND filters and it made everything blue, plus with a wide angle only the middle was actually filtered, total crap.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Delta 3200 is grainy as poo poo, but it can be pushed to 12800 and still produce something resembling a picture. I only bought it once.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
My Pentax K-3 III got here on Saturday, gotta say it's a hell of an upgrade over a 10 year old K-5!
Glad I didn't buy a KP last year, it doesn't look like a bad camera but this is pretty much a perfect upgrade for a K-5/3 user.

For example, this camera can actually automatically focus, even when things are moving! Still getting used to having a modern AF system with more than two useful settings (center/auto).

Only tried it with the 300 mm so far (which is basically the only thing I use anyway) and it does a great job tracking objects, and I can basically leave the camera in TAv 1/3000 & f/5.6 for anything outdoors since the new sensor has no major noise issues up to ISO 51.2k (subjective as always, but I leave max ISO at 144k).

I found out it has an AF setting where it simply freezes focus in AF-C mode if it can't see something it can focus on - really cuts down on the big full focus range sweeps the K-5 would do e.g. when it lost track of a bird against a clear sky.
Downside is I sometimes have to move the lens focus manually to get it roughly in the right area to start tracking, but I already had the habit of resetting focus to near infinity when walking around since the K-5 was slow to acquire anyway. Seems like it does a good job going from infinity focus to up close, but not the other way.

I wish it was easier to see which AF point is active in AF-C mode though, it's only shown using the viewfinder LCD as the little squares, no red blink like older models had. Can be pretty hard to identify the active point with certain backgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Annath posted:

While I'm tempted to buy a newer camera with the bonus I'm getting from work, realistically the K5 is rock solid for what I use it for, and I should be responsible and put the extra money into savings.

I am going to buy a new 35mm prime that has the electrical hookups for my camera, and use the old one exclusively with my K1000

The K-5 is still a very decent camera for many uses, especially for non-tele lenses where quick autofocus and very high shutter speeds (leading to very high ISOs) is not required.

The FA 35 mm f/2 AL is a pretty decent little lens that is (or at least used to be) available for a pretty good price, and if you ever want to go full frame it's compatible. Not crazy sharp wide open but gets pretty good at 2.8, and no full time manual focus override like newer designs.

Personally, I like the 21 mm f/3.2 Limited for a walkaround, the field of view is a nice slightly wide angle and the lens itself is a pancake design with a metal hood that makes it very robust if you like bumping into things like I did when I used that daily. Bokeh isn't crazy smooth, but I found it had an interesting look that I like.

Looks like both of those can be had for around $200 from Japan on eBay - I've bought a few of the "Limited" primes from Japanese eBay sellers with no issues but obviously your mileage may vary.